10-30 minute rides

Joe Bernard

Jul 28, 2016, 6:55:25 PM7/28/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Grant mentioned this to me a few weeks ago and I thought I'd pass it along: "A 10 to 30 minute ride is always a good idea." I really appreciated this because - although I'm not trying to bust out metric centuries anymore - I still have a tendency to think short rides don't count as a "real ride." Of course that's silly, but apparently I needed to be reminded. Today I had exactly 30 minutes available before work started, so I grabbed my Bobbin mini velo (Choco-Moose bars) and hit the road. It was fabulous.

He also said, "You should never do a ride you wouldn't want to do every day. Well maybe 4 times a year, 5 tops." I love that.

Joe "just (a short) ride" Bernard
Vallejo, CA.

René Sterental

Jul 28, 2016, 7:01:37 PM7/28/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Very good advice!

David Banzer

Jul 28, 2016, 8:02:55 PM7/28/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've been doing this with my 13-month old - Clem has a Yepp Mini on the front now - a very slow 2-3 miles around the park that's across the street from me. Almost everyday for the past 2 weeks, weather permitting. Besides commuting, it's the most consistent cycling I've done in the past couple of years.
And it's a ton of fun!
David
Chicago
IMG_2712.JPG

WETH

Jul 28, 2016, 9:06:58 PM7/28/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Great advice!

Chris Lampe 2

Jul 28, 2016, 10:09:38 PM7/28/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Now that I don't live within riding distance of the local 10 mile bike path, 100% of my rides fall into the 10-30 minute category.  Fits perfectly within the Rivendell philosophy of just hopping on and riding.

Hugh Smitham

Jul 29, 2016, 2:04:15 AM7/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have an hour lollypop ride I do before work, it's a safe ride that I always enjoy doing ~15 miles. The beauty of the route is my ability to extend or shorten as I need. Also if I want I can turn it into a 30/70 pavement/dirt ride but that takes me longer. I've done 15-20 minute rides but feel they're sort of useless for me. Yet I got on the bike which is a plus. This week the AQI has been pretty rotten from the Sand Fire so no rides for me this week. GP's advice is sound though whatever you can squeeze in is a plus, get the heart rate climbing makes the whole day better.

~Hugh

Joe Bernard

Jul 29, 2016, 3:02:44 AM7/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
That's the thing, Hugh. I very much need the mental exercise of being outside and breathing on the bike, but I have a tendency to forget I need it. Grant's advice kinda shocked me back into focusing on that aspect of riding. A half hour - especially around here with all the hills - is a decent little ride on the physical end, and does wonders for my brain.

Stephen Kemp

Jul 29, 2016, 8:00:49 AM7/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Forget the physical side - we're talking about the joy of cycling here! My daily commute is ~12 miles so I get 2 x 30-ish minute rides each day which is lovely. At the weekends it's often shorter trips out with one of my children on the bike seat (to parties, shops, etc) and that is great fun for me and hopefully something that will stay with them. Plus one less car out there! I think that's an important point - quick bursts on the bike mean reducing those silly short journeys by car that we all hear about. What's the statistic? 80% of car journeys are less than 5 miles or something?

Shoji Takahashi

Jul 29, 2016, 9:44:57 AM7/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
All I can commit to nowadays is the short ride (<1 hour)-- usually my commute to/from work. It's a great stress reliever, and I dread those days when I need to take the bus.

I think the Rivlosophy of flat pedals and regular clothes helps promote the short ride. I remember my teen years when it was a barrier for me to get on a bike: clipless pedals, bikey clothes-- how else was I supposed to ride?  :)

Now with kids, I can't get very far or ride very long. It's different, and good. Maybe a tandem could extend the ride a little bit further and longer.

shoji

Deacon Patrick

Jul 29, 2016, 11:57:30 AM7/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I absolutely cherish my short rides. Where I live there are two routes to take: up (which branches off to myriad of road and trail rides starting after 5 miles) or down (which is great for 4 miles, then heads either up Pikes Peak or down the highway and to the lowlands. I rarely take this farther than 4 miles unless I know I'm going up Pikes Peak road and/or trails). My brain doesn't allow me to ride on any given day. Many days I take off having no idea how far I'll make it. If I'm doing well enough, the ride helps me recover, and a short ride becomes a half or full day ride. Often, just the short ride is all I can do, but getting out and moving helps brain function so I do better the rest of the day, and can do more the next. I absolutely LOVE my short rides!

With abandon,
Patrick

Patrick Moore

Jul 29, 2016, 12:32:00 PM7/29/16
to rbw-owners-bunch
I must take this to heart. I suffer from depression and very often the thought of a "real" ride is offputting. OTOH, sometimes just a bit of activity out the door can snap me out of it.

+1 for good advice.

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a circumference on the contours of which all conditions, distinctions, and individualities revolve. Chuang Tzu

Stat crux dum volvitur orbis. (The cross stands motionless while the world revolves.) Carthusian motto

It is we who change; He remains the same. Eckhart

Kinei hos eromenon. (It moves [all things] as the beloved.) Aristotle

Ron Mc

Jul 29, 2016, 12:43:46 PM7/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
from my house, a 10min ride is always a workout - it starts with a 400' drop that I'm going to have to climb if I want to get back home.

peec...@yahoo.com

Jul 29, 2016, 1:06:51 PM7/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
As ANT bicycles said once upon a time: "transport, not sport".  There is great value in riding for commutes, errands, and slow rides ridden just for the sake of enjoyment.  Exercise is a happy byproduct.  Tim Petersen

adam leibow

Jul 29, 2016, 1:07:11 PM7/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
honestly i do very similar variations of the same two rides almost every day and i am always happy. i kind of hate riding for hours on end, unless there are stops all throughout and the scenery is always changing.

Joe Bernard

Jul 29, 2016, 1:16:05 PM7/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm the same way, Adam. I spent years trying to convince myself that long grinds were cool, but it never worked for me. Lotsa stops and scenery changes help, but 2 hours in the saddle is still about my limit before I'm ready to do something else.

sameness

Jul 29, 2016, 1:21:43 PM7/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
The blessing and the curse of where I live is that everything I need and everywhere I go is all within a couple of miles.

The beach is three miles away, my office is 1.75 miles away, and all grocery, hardware, etc. is within a mile radius.

Any long rides need to be circuitous by design, or have a particular bike-y destination in mind.

I don't love riding in traffic, especially as I head east into Los Angeles proper, so my SOP is "Just Ride (Quickly)".

Jeff Hagedorn
Los Angeles, CA USA

Chris Lampe 2

Jul 29, 2016, 1:39:54 PM7/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I discovered the same thing when I started riding.  I initially bought a Trek Multitrack and most of my rides were 3-6 miles, often never leaving the campus of a major university.  I decided I needed a road bike so I purchased one and started getting out on the road and discovered that it bored me to death.  The longest ride I achieved was a little over 19 miles and then I sold the bike.  I've been riding hybrids and converted MTB's on <10 mile rides ever since.

dougP

Jul 29, 2016, 2:05:07 PM7/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
As my kids grew up shorter rides on the bike paths became the norm, with longer jaunts with my biking buds being special rides.  I gradually came to appreciate the short ride that can easily be fitted into a busy day.  My wife & I enjoy tours but most of our ride distances are determined by available time.  We've developed a series of 1-3 hour rides, mostly on bike paths, that we can mix up enough not to get bored.  When our now-adult kids visit, we can all go on a ride & everyone has fun, even if they haven't been riding much lately.

dougP

Ryan Fleming

Jul 29, 2016, 3:22:32 PM7/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Grant's advice is good as usual...my commute to work  is about 5-6 km in the morning, which with stop lights and signs takes about 20 minutes and about 9-10 km home for about 35 minutes or so. I'll bail if it's an apocalyptic thunderstorm which can happen in July, but it's great. I work in IT as a software developer  and while I'm not doing brain surgery, it can be stressful, so the ride (or walk home in winter) is a nice way to unwind. Sometimes after a tough day, I feel like I can barely drag my ass home, but amazingly, after 10 minutes or so, I get into it...funny how that works.  Sure beats the gym, but I've never been a gym person at the best of times

René Sterental

Jul 29, 2016, 3:46:49 PM7/29/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
My commute to work when I bike gives me two choices:
- Ride the whole way, which is 15.5 miles and I am now doing in about 1:15, all flat, 70/30 pavement/trail.
- Take the train with the bike, which results in about 8 miles of riding at both ends of the train.

For both options I need to account for the same amount of time door to door, factoring for getting to the train station early, etc.

I'm trying to do this 3+ times per week as my travel or other commitments allow, but I have found the following:
- I love doing the 15.5 mile ride in the morning when it's cool in the summer and dark in the winter and I can see the sunrise. I get to work invigorated and happy.
- I have started also doing the whole ride back in the afternoon, just because when I get on the bike I feel like doing it and in spite of having to do the ride with a pretty strong headwind which adds to the challenge. Otherwise, the routine is to take the train in the afternoon.

Having done the whole ride in the morning or taken the train with the shorter ride, means that no matter how tired I may feel at the end of the day, mentally or physically, I have to get on the bike again, and Ryan stated, after a short while I feel invigorated by it.

On the days when I decide to drive to work and say I will go ride in the evening after I get home, there is an 80/20 chance I won't do it. I'll be too tired, it's hot, and whatever other excuses apply. I hate gyms as well.

So this advice of just doing a short ride if that's all you can do, is simple and easy to follow and will often lead to a spontaneous lengthening of the ride if your time allows it.

All good!

René

Steve Palincsar

Jul 29, 2016, 4:12:44 PM7/29/16
On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 4:55:25 PM UTC-6, Joe Bernard wrote:
Grant mentioned this to me a few weeks ago and I thought I'd pass it along: "A 10 to 30 minute ride is always a good idea." I really appreciated this because - although I'm not trying to bust out metric centuries anymore - I still have a tendency to think short rides don't count as a "real ride." Of course that's silly, but apparently I needed to be reminded. Today I had exactly 30 minutes available before work started, so I grabbed my Bobbin mini velo (Choco-Moose bars) and hit the road. It was fabulous.

He also said, "You should never do a ride you wouldn't want to do every day. Well maybe 4 times a year, 5 tops." I love that.

In many ways a 10 minute ride is a waste of time and a waste of an opportunity.  All those people who have potential issues with bone density/osteo-whatever, would be much better off walking the two miles, thereby strengthening their bones, than riding, which does nothing for them other than sheer transportation.  It's not long enough to even act as exercise.  And at this time of year (the entire country being in the midst of a continent-wide sweltering heat dome) it's too short to make it worth while to change into comfortable clothing, and in uncomfortable clothing, even a mere paltry 10 minutes of effort will make you so uncomfortable you'll give up on the entire idea.

A half hour is more like it: you can get much farther in that time than you can walking, and 30 minutes of cycling is actually enough to do you some good in terms of exercise, even though it's not long enough to really enjoy yourself.  An hour is better than a half hour; two hours is better still, and three hours is even better.   But for real fun, 5-8 hours is more like it.

Steve Palincsar

Jul 29, 2016, 4:26:02 PM7/29/16

On 07/29/2016 08:00 AM, 'Stephen Kemp' via RBW Owners Bunch wrote:
> Forget the physical side - we're talking about the joy of cycling
> here! My daily commute is ~12 miles so I get 2 x 30-ish minute
> rides each day which is lovely.

You ride at 24 mph? Wow.

Brewster Fong

Jul 29, 2016, 5:04:49 PM7/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I agree with Steve. I live in SF and on a hill.  During the week, I have a 10 mile round trip commute. It takes about 20 minutes to get to work, but it is mostly downhill and flat. Nice easy warm up that I almost never sweat as its usually too cold (foggy and cold morning with heavy mist today!)  Going home is a different story. It takes about 45 minutes to get home and it is mostly uphill. The last mile or so is a climb. I love it! By the time I get home I have a nice sweat and just change or shower.

On the weekends, I'm all for the long ride. I usually do a 40 or so mile loop with 4000ft of climbing. But this year, I seem to have more time and have done several 60-80 mile rides with as much as 6000 ft of climbing that last from 5-7 hours!  We actually have to stop off and eat to get some energy for the ride home. Note to self - no ice cold IPA beer and sausages at the 1/2 point....makes the ride home really, really difficult.... of course, YMMV! Good Luck!

Philip Kim

Jul 29, 2016, 5:09:58 PM7/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Joe. Crazy heat wave and work schedule didn't allow me to commute into work this week. I'm out and about right now, thanks for passing this along

Brewster Fong

Jul 29, 2016, 5:13:34 PM7/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 10:06:51 AM UTC-7, peec...@yahoo.com wrote:
As ANT bicycles said once upon a time: "transport, not sport".  There is great value in riding for commutes, errands, and slow rides ridden just for the sake of enjoyment.  Exercise is a happy byproduct.  Tim Petersen

That's kind of a weird saying?!  Why not sport?  Yes, during the week, "transportation riding" is great. We see lots of people commuting to and from work here in SF. Hey, lots of people have *electric bikes* and commute with their children/groceries, etc. It sure beats driving a minivan! (ask me how I know!)

But on weekend, why not ride for sport (fun)?!  My buddies and I like to go for nice 40 miles with lots of hills (I ride in the SF bay area and hills are a way of life) and when we have the time, as much as 80 miles!  It is fun and we get tons of exercise. I have one friend who in the last 4 years got into cycling (from golf!) and has lost like 30+ pounds! He now flies up the hill and really enjoys it!  Btw, he's got the latest carbon Trek with di2 and loves it. Hey, if it gets him out and riding, I'm all for it.

Further, ANT sells a touring bike. Wouldn't riding out in the country or going on a tour be a form of "sport?"  Seems more sporty than transportation.

Good Luck!

Steve Palincsar

Jul 29, 2016, 5:20:10 PM7/29/16

On 07/29/2016 05:13 PM, Brewster Fong wrote:

[...]

We don't really know the context in which "transport, not sport" was said.  Perhaps they were referring to a purely transportation-oriented bicycle, which - let's face it - isn't necessarily the sportiest thing out there to ride.  Bike share bikes are a fine example.

Capital bikeshare is a splendid addition to Metro DC's public transportation system.  It's a brilliant idea.  It seems as though the bikes are entirely indestructible.  But certainly not my idea of "sporty," and I can hardly imagine doing a 60-80 mile ride on one of them...

Stephen Kemp

Jul 29, 2016, 5:38:44 PM7/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
24mph?! Ha ha! Nope, 12 miles in total taken in two 6 mile/30-ish minute chunks.

Steve Palincsar

Jul 29, 2016, 5:41:01 PM7/29/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ah. I thought that was a 1-way distance. I always referred to my
commute as "8 miles" -- one way.

Brewster Fong

Jul 29, 2016, 5:57:14 PM7/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Got it!  In SF, we got the same bikes, just a different color:

Joe Bernard

Jul 29, 2016, 6:24:31 PM7/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Steve, you're never gonna sell me on a 10-minute ride being "a waste of time." Frankly, that's a bizarre statement on this forum. I'd be better off physically with a 10-minute walk? Don't care, I don't go for walks..I'm on my feet all day as it is. I'll take the ride and the mental health it brings every time. That said, I usually go for at least 30, although I just did 15.

Steve Palincsar

Jul 29, 2016, 6:56:40 PM7/29/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I presume your choice of mental health over bone health means you don't
have bone health issues. That's great, bone health issues are really
not good. But I really can't see 10 minutes of riding being anything
more than a way to get from here to 2 miles farther down the road; fun
and mental heath benefits probably don't start accruing for a trip that
short. 30 minutes, definitely more like it.

Joe Bernard

Jul 29, 2016, 7:07:10 PM7/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I realize you don't see it, but several others in this thread do. If I tell you a 10 minute ride is good for my brain, you can believe me.

Lungimsam

Jul 30, 2016, 1:22:07 AM7/30/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Just the .5 mile to the village shopping center, and the .5 mile back is an exhilerating lift for me!

Meatball sub run at 9:30 pm!!! Fun!!!

Jay LePree

Jul 30, 2016, 7:20:48 AM7/30/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi all,

I am very lucky to live near my place of employment. Depending on the route, I ride 4 to 8 miles to work, and this takes about 20 to 40 minutes.  That short time brings me great joy.  One of my colleagues saw me leaving in my suit and was amazed.  "You ride in that?", he pondered.  I responded that in many places in the world people just ride in their work apparel. Being from India, he agreed.

I use my Rivendell Rambouillet on most days.  I have the rear bag that was named after some character from a cowboy show.  It is the perfect size for everything I need to bring to work.  In these dog days of summer in northeast NJ, I ride my Redline Monocog 29er outfitted with a Thule Pack and Pedal Rack as there are no eyelets on the bike for a rack, and it too is a convenient system for me.  (The single speed bicycle naturally slows me down on these hot days.  No need to exhaust myself into a sweaty mess,)

I absolutely enjoy these short rides.  I watch a video of the CEO from Trek giving a presentation on "active transportation".  I cannot recall the exact statistics, but the majority of trips taken by Americans are within 3 to 5 miles from home.  Why not ride a bike?  Sound advice.

Yes, I embrace my short rides.

Kindest regards,

Jay
Demarest, NJ

Bill M.

Jul 30, 2016, 9:56:41 AM7/30/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
According to my cardiologist 30 minutes of moderate exercise daily (e.g. a brisk half hour walk) is all that is needed for cardiovascular fitness, and more that that can actually be detrimental if one's criterion is longevity.  I do find that's rather short to achieve the mental benefits of cycling, he would say that's just an addiction to endorphins.

Bill
Stockton, CA

Lungimsam

Jul 30, 2016, 10:33:41 AM7/30/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Coasting...cool breezes....

Patrick Moore

Jul 30, 2016, 11:43:23 AM7/30/16
to rbw-owners-bunch

6.8 miles on the folder yesterday, to the hole-in-the-wall cobbler, who will put moccasin soles on an old pair of Timberlands, and fix the corners of the hassock cushion that the new dog chewed holes in.

I felt better!

Justin August

Jul 30, 2016, 12:46:06 PM7/30/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's well documented that extended cardio on a regular basis over works your heart and can be detrimental in the long run. It's also well documented that shorter bouts of exercise can be extremely helpful for heart, muscle and bone health if you push as hard as you can.

Mental health is less easy to document as it's far more variable between people.

I'd say that anyone getting out is good whether it's a 10 minute ride, a 10 hour ride, a 10 Pokemon walk or anything else.

-Justin, not a doctor but married to an NP

René Sterental

Jul 30, 2016, 1:11:33 PM7/30/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I believe that the cardio warning is due to the fact that most people who exercise, meaning more than going for a walk, do so at heart rates above their fully aerobic heart rates, exercising in the "black hole" region that is too high for truly aerobic and too low for truly anaerobic. That creates an inflammatory response without good benefits for health. For most people, riding a bike without exceeding their aerobic heart rate will feel too slow, but it's exactly how it should be done to develop the aerobic capabilities and reap the benefits without triggering an inflammatory response.

Riding for short periods of time at the usually higher heart rates, reduces the overall stress load and if done with enough recovery between the rides or other stress inducing factors, keeps the inflammatory response more limited.

Once there is a really solid aerobic foundation established, then short anaerobically intense workouts with plenty of recovery actually improve athletic performance, but should not be done for more than about 3 weeks before going back to the purely aerobic approach to continue strengthening and developing the aerobic base.

That is, if you're looking for long term health as your goal, and not short term fitness for an event. Plenty of fit athletes out there are not healthy, as authors like Maffetone, Sisson and others have been pointing out.

Every since I switched to this approach, the quality of my riding, even when doing long rides, has improved tremendously. And so has my overall well-being. Like Maffetone says, listen to your body and less is more!

René

Steve Palincsar

Jul 30, 2016, 4:22:57 PM7/30/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Can you post some citations to that documentation? I strongly suspect
you have misinterpreted what you've read; either that, or you are
grossly misrepresenting what you have read in your first sentence.
Presumably in the context of this thread, you mean us to understand
"extended" as > 30 minutes?

Deacon Patrick

Jul 30, 2016, 6:47:36 PM7/30/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Justin, eveything hinges on the definition of "cardio" or "chronic cardio" which is what these studies are about. If I understand correctly, these studies are NOT about long and slow effort, but long and hard effort, day in, day out. Yes, that is bad for us. However, build up your aerobic base, and long and "slow" can actually be fairly speedy.

For example, on my ride today, the first part was up the Pikes Peak Highway. Paved. A roadie passed me (though I was surprised how small the speed differential was), heading for the top. I cheerfully struck up a conversation, saying hello and asking how he's doing. "I ... only ... talk ... on ... exhale!" Oh. OK. His buddy also passed me, but slowed down a wee bit and we talked briefly before I turned off onto single track. That first guy? He is the definition of chronic cardio.

From what I understand, either short and very hard effort, or long and slow (aerobic, meaning you can hold a conversation normally), promote health.

Steve, here are some links that may help you know at least some of the studies:

Patrick

Joe Bernard

Jul 30, 2016, 7:34:41 PM7/30/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

Justin August

Jul 30, 2016, 7:56:38 PM7/30/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
^^^
👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
-Justin

Tim Butterfield

Jul 30, 2016, 9:53:01 PM7/30/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have started reading the book, Fast After 50, by Joe Friel.  It mentions some studies and how VO2max is affected as we age.  One point the studies found is that some intensity is required to maintain aerobic capacity.  It is easier to do only or mostly the LSD, but doing mostly that may reduce our capacity if we leave out the intensity aspects.

Tim

RichS

Jul 30, 2016, 10:00:47 PM7/30/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Patrick, it's noteworthy you should bring Mark Sisson into the conversation. I believe Grant is an advocate of Sisson's approach. There was an extensive piece on Mark in a Riv Reader a few years ago.

Richard - happily enjoying rides and walks wherever they take me:)

Joe Bernard

Jul 30, 2016, 11:22:09 PM7/30/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, that Reader is where I first started stopping worrying about becoming the happy long distance cyclist. I took Grant's recent advice to me to be a continuation of that approach.

Scott McLain

Jul 31, 2016, 12:48:40 AM7/31/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Eat Bacon Don't Jog has some really interesting chapters on this subject (41, 42, 79). Grants interview on NPR was a real life changer for me. you can search for it on NPR.org.

My wife has started to ride to work with me in the mornings (5 miles), and it has been really fun!! It forced me to explore new routes (my route was the shortest distance between two points and was a little sketchy for her). She usually wants to take the harder route through the big drainage we have to cross because she likes to race me up the other side and she usually wins (because I'm not stupid). The mornings are spectacular where I live and so my rides to work in the morning with my wife are my favorite rides! All done in my work clothes!

I was reminded of Grants message to not ruin the joy of just riding by making it all about the challenge or keeping score this weekend. My neighbors who know I ride talked me into helping them fill a spot on their relay race team in a race from Salt Lake to Las Vegas. It was good to spend time with friends, and I enjoyed my legs of the event even though it was super hot.

Scott

Andrew Patteson

Jul 31, 2016, 4:09:03 PM7/31/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
This has been a really interesting thread.  Thanks for posting it, Joe.  AND it helped motivate me to get out for a quick ride yesterday.

Cheers,
Andrew in SLC

Deacon Patrick

Aug 6, 2016, 2:01:25 PM8/6/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Short rides rule! A true blue wee bit of a smidgen of a jaunt. Grin. Well, my 10 mile ride takes an hour, so I'm over by 200%. It is always, always, always a joyous gift to head off, ride a bit of back road, dodge bumble bees, butterflies, rain drops and, sardonically, Walmart workers who smack through gas lines (I'll be recovering from that for the rest of the day). The Quickbeam makes these a delight and it's hard to say why over the Hunqapillar. Sprightly, one gear, silent, springy (is that the planing everyone talks about?).  Fortunately, my wife just needed a wee somewhat from the store, so it fit easily in my small SaddleSack.

With abandon,
Patrick "no honey, I blew through this month's bike budget before my rear hub went wobbly so I can't pick up the big groceries but if it fits in my saddlesack, I can get it for you on my Quickbeam!"

On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 4:55:25 PM UTC-6, Joe Bernard wrote:
Grant mentioned this to me a few weeks ago and I thought I'd pass it along: "A 10 to 30 minute ride is always a good idea."

Joe Bernard

Aug 6, 2016, 2:25:01 PM8/6/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, Patrick, I find that a singlespeed can make a 10-mile ride more interesting. I have a little Dahon folder - technically 2-speed with its SRAM Automatix hub, but it spins into high gear quickly - that I'll sometimes grab for a 10-mile/1-hour jaunt. No shifting, no thinking, it's tough up-hill 'cause high gearing, slow down-hill 'cause spinning out, just ride. It's fun!

Beth H

Aug 6, 2016, 4:54:57 PM8/6/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Since my health began going up and down, I've come to really appreciate those short rides, especially on the days they're all I can manage.
Any day I can ride a bicycle becomes a better day.
Here's to many more better days for everyone --Cheers!
Beth in pdx

R Shannon

Aug 7, 2016, 4:48:36 PM8/7/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Beth, love your attitude! Wishing you many happy rides.

Best,
Richard

PG

Aug 7, 2016, 9:24:10 PM8/7/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
One thing I learned years ago, in order to best lose weight through cycling, is that riding a short distance everyday is very effective...as long as it doesn't require any additional eating.

So...

A daily 20-30 minute ride in the morning or evening, without any extra  pre-or-post calorie intake, is the ticket.

Over time, I've become addicted to short rides...they are great fun!

Bill Lindsay

Aug 8, 2016, 2:31:46 PM8/8/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Speaking of short rides.  We have an annual campout with some old friends that visit every August from Wisconsin.  Every year we'd go for a weekend of car-camping at Samuel P Taylor park.  One year, Samuel P Taylor park had some problem with their plumbing and there was going to be no running water.  We like the running water and so we re-located our campout to a backyard in Berkeley.  That 'campout' went so well that now we do it every year at the same Berkeley backyard.

This year, my son (15) and I decided that not only would we be camping out in the backyard, but we would tandem cycletour to that Berkeley back yard.  We loaded up our Ibis Touche with our tent, sleeping bags, stove, change of clothes, and toiletries and rode from the El Cerrito Hills down to North Berkeley.  Down the hill was probably about a 20 minute ride, and back up the hill the next day might have been close to an hour.  It was a short and altogether pointless ride, but it was fun, and I imagine it will be a fond memory of an outing spent with my young son.  A willing and athletic 15 year old can provide some significant thrust up a hill.  I'm glad I took the small amount of time to take that short ride.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 3:55:25 PM UTC-7, Joe Bernard wrote:
Grant mentioned this to me a few weeks ago and I thought I'd pass it along: "A 10 to 30 minute ride is always a good idea." I really appreciated this because - although I'm not trying to bust out metric centuries anymore - I still have a tendency to think short rides don't count as a "real ride." Of course that's silly, but apparently I needed to be reminded. Today I had exactly 30 minutes available before work started, so I grabbed my Bobbin mini velo (Choco-Moose bars) and hit the road. It was fabulous.

He also said, "You should never do a ride you wouldn't want to do every day. Well maybe 4 times a year, 5 tops." I love that.

Joe "just (a short) ride" Bernard
Vallejo, CA.

Mark in Beacon

Aug 8, 2016, 9:39:25 PM8/8/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Did your son rent it from Spinlister?;o) Glad to hear you got out on that beautiful machine! My 6-year-old and I went camping last night, last minute thing. We took the bikes (Isla, Raleigh Twenty), but got there by car, about a 25 minute drive. Sadly, certain stretches of road make me leery of taking the tandem until he is a bit older, otherwise, totally doable.

Beth H

Aug 9, 2016, 12:40:12 PM8/9/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, RBW Owners Bunch
That's GENIUS. -- Beth H in PDX