Homer goes to France to ride Paris Brest Paris - a ride report

Iron Rider

Aug 31, 2015, 5:35:28 PM8/31/15
to RBW Owners Bunch

cyclotourist

Aug 31, 2015, 11:36:37 PM8/31/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Just awesome to read!

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 2:35 PM, Iron Rider <100...@gmail.com> wrote:

Cheers,
David

Member, Supreme Council of Cyberspace

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal

Lungimsam

Sep 1, 2015, 1:44:30 AM9/1/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Coasting uphill outside of Mamers?!?!
I asked my local Rando club if anyone noticed it. Will report back if any did.

Deacon Patrick

Sep 1, 2015, 7:55:28 AM9/1/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Fantastic! Thank you for the vicarious chance to ride your front bag!

With abandon,
Patrick

Dennis Hogan

Sep 1, 2015, 2:11:03 PM9/1/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Great description but how do you ride, do controls, eat and sleep and still get the pics?

Surlyprof

Sep 1, 2015, 2:25:32 PM9/1/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
How did you get some of those photos?!  Precarious riding or good camera mount?  If it's the camera mount... what is it and where can I get one?

Great write up.  Read it on the train last night and it prompted me to take the long way home on the bike.
John

Iron Rider

Sep 1, 2015, 5:37:15 PM9/1/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
I take pictures with a Panasonic lumix point and shoot camera while riding. After 5 years of practice I kind know where and how to point the camera to get a shot. The rest is figuring out which shots to share. Take lots of pictures but only share the good ones.

Eunice Chang

Sep 1, 2015, 6:58:19 PM9/1/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
He's right. The art of photography is more all about what to look for than it is about equipment.

All the more kudos, though, for being able to take such lovely photos  (and remember the stories!) on such a long and grueling ride.

-E.

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 5:37 PM, Iron Rider <100...@gmail.com> wrote:
I take pictures with a Panasonic lumix point and shoot camera while riding. After 5 years of practice I kind know where and how to point the camera to get a shot. The rest is figuring out which shots to share. Take lots of pictures but only share the good ones.

Patrick Moore

Sep 1, 2015, 10:04:39 PM9/1/15
to rbw-owners-bunch
Congratulations, and thanks for this descriptively (objects and subject) fine report.

What is French pizza like? I recall Quebec (Ville de) pizza 30+ years ago: rather bland.

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 3:35 PM, Iron Rider <100...@gmail.com> wrote:

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten

*************************************
The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a circumference on the rim of which all conditions, distinctions, and individualities revolve. Chuang Tzu

Stat crux dum volvitur orbis. Carthusian motto

ascpgh

Sep 2, 2015, 8:40:36 AM9/2/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Just fantastic.

Pictures, descriptions, and the imagery the two provide.

Truly moving to have strangers acknowledge your motivation and offer kind words and support.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

Kieran J

Sep 2, 2015, 10:36:35 AM9/2/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice write-up! Thanks for sharing.

As an armchair PBP observer, I am truly in awe of those who can accomplish it. You narrative does a great job of illustrating it as a roller coaster of emotional and physical exertion. It seems like you really had a transcendent experience!

KJ

Iron Rider

Sep 2, 2015, 2:46:57 PM9/2/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
 The Pizza I had in Brest was basic take out pizza - medium crust, fresh toppings. I don't think it was particularly "french" as much as it was fast food.

Tim

Sep 2, 2015, 3:06:19 PM9/2/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
I had pizza twice in France, once in Loudeac, on the way into the control on the way back from Brest, and once in Villaines, after my DNF. Both of them were delicious, starvation and fatigue notwithstanding.

BSWP

Sep 3, 2015, 11:41:59 AM9/3/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you posting the link, I really enjoyed reading through the story and seeing your photos. Your writing has the ability to transport readers to the ride, to the cots and bag transfer stations, to the homes and tables along the route. I better appreciate the feat of riding (and preparing for!) PBP now.

- Andrew, Berkeley

Iron Rider

Sep 4, 2015, 7:11:45 PM9/4/15
to RBW Owners Bunch