Romulus rear derailleur hanger

Roadie1432

May 18, 2018, 12:22:10 PM5/18/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I am trying to get my red, S&S coupler-equipped Romulus on the road again. I have posted here before, looking for decals for it, (no luck).

The problem is that the chain hits the derailleur hanger when it is on the smallest cog. (9 speed). I looked at it and there is a metal, hex head bushing installed in the hanger with the hex inboard. The derailleur is screwed into this bushing. Is this the standard set up for a Romulus or is this a repair? The hanger is straight and the drop outs are aligned. Thanks for any help.

Tim Gavin

May 18, 2018, 12:42:10 PM5/18/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The Romulus had forged steel dropouts from the factory, with an integrated derailleur mount (like every Riv I've ever seen).

So, if your frame has a separate derailleur hanger (like on most non-steel bikes), then it is most definitely a modification.

Now, it's entirely possible that you said "hanger" when you meant "the derailleur mount that is firmly attached to the forged steel dropout on my lovely Riv".

With either derailleur mount, the bottom eyelet should be threaded, and the derailleur should screw directly in.  There should be no "bushing" or "hex head" on the inside of the derailleur mount.  Although, I've seen 1970s and older bikes with all manner of thread- or bolt- on derailleur adapters...

Regardless, it's really hard to picture what you're describing without... a picture.

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 8:49 PM, Roadie1432 <rag...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am trying to get my red, S&S coupler-equipped Romulus on the road again. I have posted here before, looking for decals for it, (no luck).

The problem is that the chain hits the derailleur hanger when it is on the smallest cog. (9 speed). I looked at it and there is a metal, hex head bushing installed in the hanger with the hex inboard. The derailleur is screwed into this bushing. Is this the standard set up for a Romulus or is this a repair? The hanger is straight and the drop outs are aligned. Thanks for any help.

Joe Bernard

May 18, 2018, 12:58:18 PM5/18/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
It sounds like somebody stripped the original threaded hole, then installed something in it to screw the derailer into. Definitely a repair.

Jeremy Till

May 18, 2018, 1:13:26 PM5/18/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, I would agree that somebody stripped the derailleur hanger, then a Wheels Manufacturing "Dropout Saver" was installed to fix it:

The simplest solution would be to use the derailleur high limit screw to lock out the smallest cog.  I don't know about you, but I rarely use that cog.  You could also then re-adjust the derailleur to take the slack out of the shift cable and so that the 2nd-smallest cog is the last click on the shifter (if you're running indexed shifters), but that's not 100% essential.

Roadie1432

May 18, 2018, 3:47:26 PM5/18/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you Joe and Jeremy,

That is exactly what it has! I did not know about those. I will contact Wheels Manufacturing and see if they have some additional advice.