FS - Selling my Betty Foy 58cm frame, fork, BB and crankset - $850 + shipping.

René Sterental

Aug 22, 2016, 7:06:00 PM8/22/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The weirdest thing happened this weekend... After several months of riding my Homer and my Atlantis exclusively, and with the excitement of my custom (1.5 weeks to go for the build), I realized I had not ridden my Betty, and as you recall, I had stated I loved it and it was a bike I felt fit me very well, in fact, it was the bike I could first ride without pain compared to the others. I loved that I had gone a size "under" Keven's recommendation and found such a great fit, I had tweaked and played with handlebars and found a setup I loved, it was pretty much a final setup as far as I could tell.

During these past months of regular riding at aerobic intensities 99.9% of the time, increasing distances, succesfully completing the 72 mile ride around Lake Tahoe, etc., I had been tweaking my position on the Atlantis (the Homer is now for my son as I had it for Lake Tahoe) since as I got fitter, I was trying to fine tune the position with the drop bars so my hands wouldn't hurt at all.

Reading and re-reading articles and information, I found one by Jan where he stated (or I interpreted) that a key to addressing hand pain was to have the correct reach so your weight didn't lean on the hands (and of course strenthening the core), so I switched the 5cm stem for a 6cm Nitto Pearl stem and found the added extension a welcome improvement. I'm not yet completely pain free, but there are many rides when the hands hurt a lot less, and sometimes not at all. So, an improvement.

Come back to Saturday, and after doing a 16 mile morning ride, I decided that I should honor the Betty by going to the supermarket with my oldest daughter riding our bikes. I take the Betty, and to my horror, as soon as I ride it, I feel all cramped, falling forward on the saddle (which is already pushed all the way back) and "wanting" to stretch out more. My hands hurt on the handlebar ends, but get better when I move them forward. My mind is going WTH? This was to be a super comfortable more upright bike and I feel super cramped. I eventually adjusted better, but was riding with my butt over the edge of the saddle and my hands on the bends of the Ahearne bars.

I've always felt I needed to sit further back on all my Rivendells, so on the Homer and Atlantis, I installed the Nitto S-84 seat post with its large setback, and that has worked very well. But the Betty and the Hunqapillar have 26.8 seat posts, so I was stuck with their original seat posts and couldn't push the saddle further back. I even tried a Selle Anatomica on the Betty, but couldn't stand (sit) on the saddle comfortably at all. This might have been one of the reasons I never could feel comfortable on the Hunqapillar, but somewhat on the Betty, it had seemed to work out until Saturday.

Leave those thoughts to mull in your head for a day, and then have Lady Fate pay you a visit. On Sunday evening, I somehow found my way to the RBW Blug, where right below the watch is a post reminding people to pre-order the new "last batch" of Cheviots, and reading over the post and looking at the images, I see a link for a brochure on the Cheviot. Who knows how long that has existed, I had never seen it before. Having nothing better to do, I read it as it's really well made and has all this interesting info about the actual Cheviot sheep in the beginning. Mind you, I had been reading the recent discussions about the Cheviot, it's comparisons to the Betty, how people felt, etc., but I was so happy with the Betty that there was no reason to get a Cheviot just for its longer stays. So, I keep browsing and admiring the art work, when I reach a picture that shows all three sizes superimposed, gives some geometry numbers AND... states that the Cheviot takes a 27.2 seat post. WHAT!!! I think it must be a typo, since the statement was always that the Betty and Cheviot were pretty much identical except for the chain stays and the shorter seat tube on the 55 compared to the 58. It must be a typo, I repeat, and start searching frantically for info on the seat post size of the Cheviot. I search but cannot find anything. But I do find the photo of Grant's Cheviot which clearly shows he has the S-84 Nitto seat post. And then I find another photo of an orange Cheviot which also sports one. And an old photo of the Cheviot's RBW page which also states the seat post is 27.2mm. It's not a typo. One of my truly and always favorite bikes can truly fit well!

I couldn't sleep and you can imagine the rest of the story. At 2:30 AM I placed my pre-order for a 60cm Blue Cheviot to replace my 58 Betty so I can get the right saddle position on one of my favorite bikes. A bike that always puts a smile on my face (except this weekend). The bike that helped me discover 650b wheels, which I'm going to have to give up to get the proper size now. But it's OK. The saddle position and fit override the wheel size.

This afternoon I called RBW and just for the heck of it, I asked Dave to confirm that indeed, the Cheviot uses a 27.2 seat post. ETA is in a "no commitment" 3 weeks or so, as they are already on the ship from Taiwan. So my custom is going to have a little sister and will be the only bike in my stable with 650b wheels. The Cheviot will get to run the 38mm Compass tires I love on the Atlantis.

So, I'd like to sell my like "as new" Betty Foy frame/fork/headset/BB as it came from RBW (need to check if it has a few nicks in the paint, but if so they are tiny and few. I'd like to ask $850 for it + shipping via Bike Flights if you're not local.

I also have the set of Atlas wheels that Rich built for me, 36 spokes, rear XT, front SON Dynamo hub. I can keep it for the custom, but I already have wheels for it, so if anyone is interested after giving first choice to whoever buys my Betty, I'll come up with a price.

Photos of the Betty in its different states in my hands: https://flickr.com/photos/25160594@N05/sets/72157625115263842

René, who knows Lady Fate is looking out to make his dreams come true!

LeahFoy

Aug 22, 2016, 8:47:10 PM8/22/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Gasp! The Betty isn't perfect? How can this be? Well, at any rate, you are probably regretting selling me your bars, and you can't have them back, by the way. I love 'em. I'll be here, waiting in the weeds, for when you list your Cheviot for sale for the next best thing.

I'm teasing. But only half teasing. I really am waiting in the weeds. And I LOVE the Cheviot blue.

Enjoy your new bike (for now!)!!!!
Leah :)

René Sterental

Aug 22, 2016, 9:31:49 PM8/22/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ha ha ha ha!!!

I know, I know... how could this be? Sometimes I wonder if I haven't taken it too far, but in all honest truth, I have too many bikes I love to even consider keeping one that no longer feels that way. I first considered just selling it, even though I had said before I never would. Then I saw that the Cheviot would allow me to still have a Mixte bike I could enjoy, and that's when the decision almost happened on its own, it seemed to make so much sense.

Yes, I debated on getting the 55 for the 650b wheels, but that didn't really make sense long term. The idea that it would be a bike for my daughters that I could also ride, no longer applies. My oldest daughter is going to start her MBA at Stanford in September and there's no way I'd let her leave the Betty chained outside the dorms/residences all day long. She's riding the Electra Townie I bought for my wife years ago in a vain attempt to get her to ride, which my youngest daughter rode to high school. She has neck/shoulder pain and wants to be fully upright, so I removed the original bars and installed a set of regular Bosco bars that fit her desired position perfectly and she's very comfortable. Don't worry, I don't regret selling you the Bullmoose Boscos! You enjoy them!!!

So it really came down to just selling the Betty and downsizing to 5 bikes, which I was starting to seriously consider when the fortuitous discovery of the Cheviot's seat post size changed my mind.

So we'll see what happens. I had already ridden the 60cm Betty at RBW when Kevin wanted me to get the 60, so I know how it feels. The fact that there aren't going to be any more Cheviots after this batch just made me decide faster. So I'm not really doing very well in my original desire to downsize and minimize yet, but I've made the decision to keep only what I like and fits me well.

What is really amazing, when I think about it, is that even though I'm in a long plateau with my weight loss, and just trying to kick start it again as I did last year, so much in my bicycling fitness and fit has changed.

Anyway, it's an adventure I'm keen on exploring. And I can make someone very happy if they get my Betty.

Enjoy your bars and keep contemplating your future crate! :-D

René

René Sterental

Aug 22, 2016, 10:25:27 PM8/22/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Maybe it's all crazy... ;-) When does it ever stop?

Leah Peterson

Aug 22, 2016, 10:49:18 PM8/22/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I am here to help! First off, get our (yours, I mean yours!!!) Cheviot in a 55. Because it will fit us (you! I mean you!) like your favorite pair of jeans. With that new seat post and those long stays you won't go wrong with the 55cm! (I actually don't know what any of this means but I've heard you guys say it enough.)

Oh, and you got our favorite color, Betty Foy blue, this is good. But I really think you need to spring for the hearts to be filled in red. I want the best for you, and hearts are meant to be red, you know? It will look great with the cream accents. And you will look great RIDING the cream accents. I can see it now!

All I'm doing here is looking out for your best interests. Because if (when!) the day comes to sell it, I bet you'd have a buyer lined up if you had a 55cm Chev in Betty Foy blue with red hearts. I'm sure SOMEONE would bite. I just need you to have options, you know? It's what friends do.

Leah, who really is a one-bike girl, she promises.

Sent from my iPhone

René Sterental

Aug 22, 2016, 11:29:44 PM8/22/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ha ha ha ha!!!

I think what you really mean is that your husband would look much better, even with his basket, if he was riding a 58 Betty Foy. It would show everyone how much he loves you!!! And how many he is with not one, but two red hearted bikes in his home! Not many can pull that off!

Leah Peterson

Aug 22, 2016, 11:39:05 PM8/22/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
AND THEN WE REALLY WOULD BE MATCHING!!!!!!!!!!!❤️❤️❤️❤️💙💙💙💙

Sent from my iPhone