Crankypants & Thoughtful Responses

Cyclofiend Jim

Jan 6, 2018, 11:52:37 AM1/6/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
The tenets of this group have not changed. It's right there in the top line - "...a respectful, supportive and polite tone in all posts."

I never expected that everyone would agree with everyone else in every post. The world would truly be a much more boring place if that were the case.

But excessive umbrage and accusations and generally going toe-to-toe in recent threads which should have been innocuous makes me a bit concerned. Hopefully, this was just an early example of the February crankiness that pops up on this list when folks have not gotten out to ride enough.

There are a few things in those escalating threads which catch my attention.

One is a statement which described a post as hastily made.  There's not a thing so time-dependent on this group that anyone needs to shoehorn an immediate response between the business of the day. If someone insults you, let it stand. The previous conversational contributions made to this group present enough of a body of evidence as to whether any insult is valid or ludicrous. We all have a sense of the personalities behind the comments, especially if we've been involved in this list for any length of time. The need to respond immediately does not exist here. There are better venues for that. If you find yourself hammering out (or tapping out) (or dictating to a transcription bot) a quick response, maybe you don't need to post it.

Because words are tough.

We see it play out time and time again. All we get are the words. No body language or tone. No micro musculature movement on the face to defuse or contextualize the words. An innocuous post taken the wrong way. Something triggers someone and suddenly the conversation is in a death spiral towards "So's yer old man!"

I think we're better than that.

Because we're human, that isn't always the case.

So, let's give one another the opportunity to be wrong, hold an opinion we don't agree with, miss the point entirely or explore an idea clumsily. If you are the smartest person in the room, let the rest of us catch up occasionally. Pretend it's a group ride where no one gets dropped.

There were also a few things in the threads which heartened me.

Group members stepped in to diffuse the situation, putting themselves in the line of fire to let everyone sit back down and enjoy the music. Thank you.

That said, what now?

Will we continue to get teased by the popular social venues into being the first responder? Having an answer rather than considering a thoughtful response? Will this group become a value-added buy/sell/trade sheet? Will we continue to find commonality or seek to contrast only our differences? Will Timmy hang on to the cracking tree branch over the chasm while Lassie finds the ranger? Wait. Sorry. Ignore that last line.

My point, as always, is that the quality of this group is up to us. Let's move forward with a commitment to that idea.

Thanks to everyone for their ongoing contributions to this group.

- Jim

Jim Edgar / rbw group admin

John A. Bennett

Jan 6, 2018, 2:55:06 PM1/6/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Many thanks to Jim Edgar!

As I believe I mentioned here once before: When this group was first started by Rivendell, Grant and I tried to moderate it, but we fairly quickly figured out that it was not only too time-consuming to do it well, but that it was also putting us in the difficult position of playing policemen with our customers. Not good.

We were ready to close it down when Jim stepped in and said that he'd like to try his hand. We couldn't have asked for a better person to take it on.

He continues to steer the middle course, even when the waters get choppy.

Much appreciated, Jim.

John (Rivendell, 2000-2012; Rivelo, 2015- Present)

John Hawrylak

Jan 6, 2018, 9:03:51 PM1/6/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you Jim for all your work.

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ

dougP

Jan 6, 2018, 9:49:00 PM1/6/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jim:

Thanks for all your efforts.  Even though you probably only hear that infrequently, we truly value your efforts.

"There's not a thing so time-dependent on this group...."

If one is in a hurry, there are faster vehicles than a bicycle.  Similarly, if one participates in a bike forum, there is plenty of time for thoughtul, reasoned posts & responses.

dougP

On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 8:52:37 AM UTC-8, Cyclofiend Jim wrote:
Message has been deleted

Mark in Beacon

Jan 7, 2018, 2:28:23 AM1/7/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'd like to treat everyone to a professional cuddle session, on me.**

**Offer starts as soon as I become gainfully employed

islaysteve

Jan 7, 2018, 6:42:27 AM1/7/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you for all that you do for the group, Jim.  Wonderful post.
Steve Alkire
Kensington, MD

Grant @ Rivendell

Jan 7, 2018, 10:44:09 AM1/7/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Seriously all that John and everybody has said. Jim means the world to me, I have more respect for him than I can ever utter, and I know most of us here feel some kind of version of that. He can write me under a tractor, every sentence, things that I'd stew over and ultimately screw up with emotion, he delivers like..pancakes at a fundraising breakfast, that's the image I have (and makes sense to me/my head). Yep, thanks, Jim. You pipe up perfectly and are so valued.

Andy L

Jan 7, 2018, 10:45:27 AM1/7/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Boy, was that nice to read-  I didn't totally follow the posts that led up to it, but I sure do appreciate the sentiment and the articulation.  Also, as someone  mentioned, I appreciate the work that Jim does so that I can read about bikes, and others can read about and discuss bikes.  I feel like a bit of a freeloader, but I don't feel like I have anything to add yet, and I enjoy and learn from reading what others write, and it all makes riding my quickbeam and big dummy all the more enjoyable.
Andy
Philadelphia

RichS

Jan 7, 2018, 11:46:14 AM1/7/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jim,

A heartfelt thank you for your efforts and commitment to this group. It means so much!

Kind regards,
Richard

Deacon Patrick

Jan 7, 2018, 1:53:32 PM1/7/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
You are a gift to us all, Jim. Thank you!

With abandon,
Patrick

Jonathan D.

Jan 7, 2018, 3:26:37 PM1/7/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you Jim. I am new to the list and really value the time I spend here. It’s a wonderful group and place to be, along with a distraction from world events. I hope everyone continues to contribute and forgives the occasional cranky responses. Thank you as well to Grant and co (John at Rivelo for us PDX folks) for continuing this wonderful business.

Itsmybagel

Jan 7, 2018, 8:42:51 PM1/7/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jim, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I love reading what this group has to say and would be saddened without it! -- Carl in NC.

Ann L

Jan 9, 2018, 7:10:47 PM1/9/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jim:

 I also thank you.  It is nice to have a place where adults can talk.

Ann

Jon Dukeman,central Colorado

Jan 9, 2018, 11:12:55 PM1/9/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Grant,John,& Jim and who ever else I don't know about for all your hard work.
I often think what a big ,giant hole would be left in our lives if there was no Rivendel,this group,Rivelo PDX,Bob's group to wake up to day after day.
Jon

Philip Williamson

Jan 10, 2018, 2:26:59 PM1/10/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you, Jim, for driving the bus!

I spoke a bit sharpishly recently on a thread or two, and I'm sorry. I value each lister, and truly enjoy your company.

Philip
Santa Rosa, CA

John Rinker

Jan 28, 2018, 4:41:34 PM1/28/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Jim for reminding us how civility, diversity and discourse really must walk (or ride) together if we are all to move forward. Here's a fine post I came across a few weeks back on 'How not to be offended'.

Cheers, John

Chris Birkenmaier

Jul 2, 2018, 6:53:58 PM7/2/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jim is there a way to flag a post that doesn’t meet the criteria as stated for this group?
Message has been deleted

Jim Edgar

Jul 9, 2018, 11:19:16 AM7/9/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
You can either forward it to me, or simply email me with the thread Subject line and I'll find it.

Thanks!

- Jim / list admin / cyclofiend@gmail dot com

Clayton

Jul 10, 2018, 9:59:47 PM7/10/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I tip my hat to you, Jim.  You are a brave man for corralling this herd of cats...
Thanks. May all our egos, laugh at themselves...ummmm..wait? Ourselves..Dammit.

Clayton
DirtDance