Free hub body comes loose

Howard Hatten

Aug 14, 2016, 7:11:19 PM8/14/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Group help needed.
Lately my shifting has been getting bad. I've checked the deraileur hanger and it is good. I switched to friction mode and it worked fine. All of the driveline has been cleaned and lubed. Thought I was good to go but today I developed an annoying clicking sound on all the pedal strokes. A roadside inspection revealed a wobble in my wheel. When I got home I pulled the bearings out and to my surprise the free hub body fell off on the floor. The attachment bolt somehow completely unscrewed itself. Has anybody ever had this happen. Almost seems like it was never tightened when assembled.

Thanks
Howard
Livonia Mi

Peter White

Aug 15, 2016, 6:54:21 AM8/15/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
And the brand and model of hub would be?

PJW

Peter White

Howard Hatten

Aug 15, 2016, 7:48:31 AM8/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Peter
This is off of a velocity atlas wheel. Came on my Atlantis. Looking at the velocity website the hub looks like the "sport rear hub". Site says hub body # cb07. Don't see any identifying numbers on the part. Attachment bolt is internal to the hub

Howard

Conway Bennett

Aug 15, 2016, 11:12:05 AM8/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yep, worst hubs ever. However velocity's customer service is the best I have ever experienced. I went thru two sport hubs in two years. With regular commuting, let's say 100 miles a week, each failed within 8-9 months. Each time the hub came out of adjust and by the time I found the source of the "crepitus clunking" the hubs were roached. At the second replacement they upgraded me too an atb, sealed cartridge type, hub FOC. The best part is that I never had to pack it ship a wheel! FWIW I way 160 and the wheels were on my Sam.

Howard Hatten

Aug 15, 2016, 12:23:06 PM8/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Conway , thanks for the reply. After finally locating a 12mm Allen wrench I attempted to tighten the free hub back on and the attachment bolt broke. It must have cracked and loosened itself up. Now I have half of the bolt trapped inside the hub. I've messaged Velocity , waiting for reply

Howard
Livonia Mi.

Captain Conway Bennett

Aug 15, 2016, 12:31:49 PM8/15/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Just call them. They answer and will have a solution. They are the only wheels I will but based on my interactions with the staff.

Fair winds,

Captain Conway Bennett

Jim Bronson

Aug 15, 2016, 12:34:42 PM8/15/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Wow, that's terrible. I like their rims for the most part but will
think twice about running any of their hubs.

Who is the actual OEM, I wonder? Surely Velocity doesn't make those
hubs themselves. Novatec?
> --

signature goes here

Howard Hatten

Aug 15, 2016, 1:14:09 PM8/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Just got off the phone with velocity customer service. What a pleasant experience. They listened to my story then offered me 2 options. I could have a complete wheel exactly like I have or I could have the same wheel with high end hub. The only drawback is the high end hub is black. I chose the better hub. They said I'll have it by Monday. Thumbs up Velocity.
Thanks for the suggestion Conway.

Howard
Livonia Mi.