Taking Risks

LeahFoy

Oct 21, 2016, 11:00:25 AM10/21/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I got to school and realized I don't have my bike lock. I'm here only for an hour or two to volunteer in my son's 2nd grade class. I have no choice but to leave The Best Bike in the World unlocked in the rack in front of the school office. TBBITW is finally set up exactly the way I've always dreamed - Big Nitto Front Rack, Big Nitto Back Rack, baskets and bags galore, and all the other accoutrements. It would be a crying shame to lose it now. All I can think about is this week's post from The Bike Snob about his stolen bike - which he left at HIS son's school!

Leah Peterson

Oct 21, 2016, 11:02:29 AM10/21/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
image1.JPG
image2.JPG

Shoji Takahashi

Oct 21, 2016, 11:06:21 AM10/21/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks great!

Can you bring Betty into the school? Put it in the gym or cafeteria? Maybe the Principal's Office?

Good luck!
shoji

Scott Henry

Oct 21, 2016, 11:24:50 AM10/21/16
to Riv List
What I generally do anytime that I am leaving the bike without a lock (which I rarely carry) is just prevent it from being ridden off.   I'll do some combination of loosening all the QR levers, intentionally overshift to drop the chain off the big ring and generally wrap a toe strap around a crank arm or stays/spokes.    Someone can still grab the bike and toss it in the truck, but most bike thefts are ride-off crimes of opportunity.    If they grab it from the rack and the front wheel falls off or they can't pedal away, hopefully they'll grab something else.

People don't steal your bike because its anything special, people steal bikes because they are easy to take.
Scott

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 11:00 AM, LeahFoy <jonasa...@gmail.com> wrote:
I got to school and realized I don't have my bike lock. I'm here only for an hour or two to volunteer in my son's 2nd grade class. I have no choice but to leave The Best Bike in the World unlocked in the rack in front of the school office. TBBITW is finally set up exactly the way I've always dreamed - Big Nitto Front Rack, Big Nitto Back Rack, baskets and bags galore, and all the other accoutrements. It would be a crying shame to lose it now. All I can think about is this week's post from The Bike Snob about his stolen bike - which he left at HIS son's school!

Lungimsam

Oct 21, 2016, 11:33:58 AM10/21/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I would think if you're helping at the school they will let you put the bike in the office for an hour or two.

Leah Peterson

Oct 21, 2016, 11:37:07 AM10/21/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Faith in humanity remains! The Best Bike in the World is still mine!
image1.JPG

image2.JPG

Sent from my iPhone

Allingham II, Thomas J. (Retired Partner)

Oct 21, 2016, 11:38:23 AM10/21/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Why not just take the front wheel or the saddle or both with you?

[...]

The sender of this email is a retired partner of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP ("Skadden") and is not performing legal service on behalf of Skadden. Use by a retired partner of the skadden.com or probonolaw.com domain names is in his/her personal capacity and not on behalf of Skadden or its affiliates.

Eric Norris

Oct 21, 2016, 11:45:03 AM10/21/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
If you can't do anything else, take the front wheel off and carry it with you.

--Eric N
www.CampyOnly.com
CampyOnlyGuy.blogspot.com
Twitter: @CampyOnlyGuy

> On Oct 21, 2016, at 8:33 AM, Lungimsam <john1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I would think if you're helping at the school they will let you put the bike in the office for an hour or two.

Ryan Fleming

Edwin W

Oct 21, 2016, 12:33:08 PM10/21/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Once a year or so I will forget a lock or key. I typically ask to take it inside with that explanation. And then I don't forget for several months!
Here in Nashville, probably like where you are, there is little bike culture and the one good thing is little bike THEFT culture.
Edwin

Lungimsam

Oct 21, 2016, 1:10:24 PM10/21/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah,
I have Ul-locks planted at The places I go the most around town. You can buy are you lock and leave it at the school locked to the bike rack and keep the key on your key ring so whenever you go to the school the lock is there waiting for you and you don't have to carry it on the bike

.

Patrick Moore

Oct 21, 2016, 1:37:26 PM10/21/16
to rbw-owners-bunch
I would walk the bike into the building with an air of knowing exactly what I am doing and having every right to do it. It sometimes works -- stores, generally yes; impromptu homeowners' associations in borrowed premises; work., Libraries, I get told off (hell, you can't even park a bike in the foyer between the 2 sets of glass entry doors). When that happens, I pout.

I have to admit age and a certain je ne sais quoi of bearing helps. I can get away easily now with things that even 20 years ago (as a callow early-40-something) would have gotten me a swift kick out the door.

Patrick "hauteur" Moore

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 9:00 AM, LeahFoy <jonasa...@gmail.com> wrote:
I got to school and realized I don't have my bike lock. I'm here only for an hour or two to volunteer in my son's 2nd grade class. I have no choice but to leave The Best Bike in the World unlocked in the rack in front of the school office. TBBITW is finally set up exactly the way I've always dreamed - Big Nitto Front Rack, Big Nitto Back Rack, baskets and bags galore, and all the other accoutrements. It would be a crying shame to lose it now. All I can think about is this week's post from The Bike Snob about his stolen bike - which he left at HIS son's school!

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a circumference on the contours of which all conditions, distinctions, and individualities revolve. Chuang Tzu

Stat crux dum volvitur orbis. (The cross stands motionless while the world revolves.) Carthusian motto

It is we who change; He remains the same. Eckhart

Kinei hos eromenon. (It moves [all things] as the beloved.) Aristotle

Patrick Moore

Oct 21, 2016, 1:39:18 PM10/21/16
to rbw-owners-bunch
For reality's sake, I should add that a friendly and confiding manner helps; if your affect is friendly, you can get away with a lot.

Patrick "hauteur amicable" Moore

Leah Peterson

Oct 21, 2016, 2:08:43 PM10/21/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Excellent ideas, All! I implemented exactly none of them, as I couldn’t read this until I was done volunteering, but luck was on my side! There sat my bike, just as I’d left her. Oh, the sweet sight of sunlight enhancing that creamy blue frame.

Today would have been the world’s worst day to bring TBBITW inside. There was a “wax museum” in the gym/multi-purpose room, and the entire office and all the way down the hall was full of visiting parents, who were there to see their kids’ displays. I really was relegated to the bike rack out front. As someone else said, the bike culture is neglected here, and mostly no one cares about my bike, I think. I live in one of the most car-centric and remote parts of Vegas.

Thanks for the advice and well-wishes! You are the best.

JohnS

Oct 21, 2016, 2:14:42 PM10/21/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Just happened to me today when I went to the credit union, yes some people still like to deal with tellers. Anyway, about 1/2 there I realized I didn't have a lock with me, so I leaned the QB against the flag pole like I normally do and I threaded my helmet strap around the front wheel and down tube. Fortunately it was still there when I came out.

JohnS

Lungimsam

Oct 21, 2016, 2:21:03 PM10/21/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Scary!
Glad your bikes were ok!

Patrick Moore

Oct 21, 2016, 2:48:21 PM10/21/16
to rbw-owners-bunch
I forgot to mention a couple of trucs that work for me -- I am forgetful and one of the many things I often forget is a lock.

1. Keep a lock attached to the racks you visit regularly. I used to keep one at a local grocery store and another at church, until I found that simply wheeling the bike inside (store) or shoving the bike into the utility closet (church) was a lot easier.

2. Keep a light cable lock inside the bags or baskets you regularly carry. I say "light cable" because you might baulk at carrying 5 lb of chain and padlock around for miles on the off chance that you might occasionally use them.

Garth

Oct 21, 2016, 3:16:55 PM10/21/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

   Reality really is where you can leave your bike anywhere, laugh and smile and be footloose and fancy free .  Ride down to the river side, take a nap in the shade and wake up and go for a swim.  Run up a hill side and get lost in the enchanted forest only to find your bike right where you left it :)    Yeah . . . this is reality !    If it is not here it is no where .

Bob K.

Oct 21, 2016, 3:21:43 PM10/21/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm glad your bike was still there, Leah! My move would've been to simply wheel the bike inside and shove it in a corner somewhere. Even if it's not in the office, it's indoors and away from passing eyes. Bike culture or not, that's a damn nice bike and it would be a shame if someone other than you rode off on it. If someone got upset because I brought my bike inside while volunteering at the school, I would've apologized and ridden away on TBBITW, smiling and carefree.

Bob K. in Baltimore

Bill Lindsay

Oct 21, 2016, 3:30:01 PM10/21/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Patrick Moore said:  "I would walk the bike into the building with an air of knowing exactly what I am doing and having every right to do it."

Patrick Moore is a dutiful follower of Rule #80

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

ascpgh

Oct 22, 2016, 7:04:05 AM10/22/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I did the same last year, but it was the keys to the U lock and cable I leave on the rack at work which is not a facility where I could take it inside.

Facing 14 hours unlocked, alone in the parking garage, I bodged a solution that kept me sane enough for the day's work (and not walking home) by dropping my front wheel, sticking the fork through the loop of the locked cable and one leg of it through the locked U lock then reattaching the wheel. I also left my helmet on the bike with its strap clipped around the down tube and back wheel.

Day ended, bike still there, plan worked. +1 on Patrick's small gauge cable lock for the bottom of the bag.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

masmojo

Oct 22, 2016, 7:54:28 PM10/22/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I had a similar experience on Friday. I rode the Clementine to work, about 2 miles to go I realize the keys are at home, urgh!
I cruise up to the security at the front of the building explain my predicament and ask if I can just take my bike up to my office!? He goes and asks his supervisor, comes back & says it's OK, I just have to use the freight elevator. That was fine with me (preferred actually). I was just going to do that anyways, but I figured I'd be nice & ask first. ;-) Luckily, my office is right close to the freight elevator so nobody really saw me and I did not make a spectacle of myself.
Lesson learned, leave spare key at my office, but in case it happens again I'll know what to do.

Justin August

Oct 22, 2016, 7:58:56 PM10/22/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
As a teacher who rides a Riv and stores his in the classroom I say bring it in. They ask, you explain and you get to leave it there.

-Justin