RBW listers in eastern Kansas

Keith Muller

Sep 15, 2016, 9:17:11 PM9/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey all,

Just moved to Lawrence Kansas from Washington DC. Just curious if there are any RBW bunchers in the eastern Kansas area. Lawrence is nice and seems like there is plenty to explore.

Thanks,

Keith

Eric Norris

Sep 15, 2016, 11:49:22 PM9/15/16
to RBW
The riding around Lawrence is indeed nice. Do a loop around Clinton Lake. Ride to LaConner and get cupcakes at the little cafe there. Find the scenic river road northwest of town and enjoy the unpaved sections.

When you’re done, get the Ad Aster Ale at Freestate Brewing. Good times.

Ryan Thompson

Sep 16, 2016, 12:18:22 PM9/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Keith,

Interesting timing, I'm considering a move back to Kansas City from Washington D.C. and often wondered if I would find any Rivsters in the area.  If I do end up moving, I shoot you a note.

Regards,
Ryan

Keith Muller

Sep 16, 2016, 12:35:29 PM9/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for the insight Eric!

Ryan, if you move, give me a shout.

Keith

Chad

Sep 16, 2016, 1:43:14 PM9/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes!  I'm in Kansas City.  I only know of one other person in the area who is into Rivs and I do not believe he is on this list.  I'm always up for a get together.  Lawrence is a great town and the beer is actually Ad Astra Ale as in "Ad astra  per aspera"  the state motto.  Boulevard Pale Ale is a pretty decent local flavor as well.

Tim

Sep 16, 2016, 2:27:23 PM9/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Boulevard Brewing indeed! I live (sort of) in Olathe, 30 min. east of Lawrence on K10, but I'm not here much because I work out of town and only get home every month or two. In fact I was in CT for 3 years and rode several brevets with DC Randonneurs. At any rate, this area of Kansas is definitely not flat. Lots and lots of rolling hills. There are routes where you can climb 6000-7000 ft. in a 200KM ride. That's certainly not the elevation gains I got on the east coast but it is by no means flat. There is plenty of good gravel (you're not far from the Dirty Kanza ride), if you're into that, and quite a bit of singletrack, ranging from easy to pretty technical (most of the technical stuff I know of is closer to the KC area, but it's not that that far.

Chad

Sep 16, 2016, 4:16:25 PM9/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I concur with Tim.  Eastern Kansas is anything but flat and actually Kansas continues to be hilly all the way through the Smokey Hills in West Central Kansas. The Wicked Wilson Gravel Ride (Russell, KS) was the most climbing I've ever encountered outside of Colorado.  There are plenty of flat prairies, don't get me wrong, but the terrain varies greatly across the state.Anyway, I live near the Country Club Plaza and work in Olathe, so I too am about 30-40 min. east of Lawrence.

KevinS

Sep 16, 2016, 11:02:22 PM9/16/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm a Riv rider in KC too. I'm in the Brookside area. Let me know if there's a KC gathering!

Kevin

Chad

Sep 21, 2016, 9:58:47 PM9/21/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
We should get together!  I'm in Fairway just across the state line.  I'm in Brookside all the time and like to ride the Trolley Trail.

Chad

Oct 12, 2016, 11:36:12 AM10/12/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Saw a nice orange Roadeo and nice Atlantis at the Velo+ shop yesterday. I was shocked to see not one, but two Rivs belonging to different people in town! There is now 3 there with my Hillborne:-) I think the Roadeo was your's, Tim.

Tim

Oct 13, 2016, 4:35:47 PM10/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
You're right Chad, that was my Roadeo. I just picked it up today. Darn, I was in a rush so I didn't see your bike or the Atlantis. My brother-in-law is friends with all the guys at that shop (Velo+) but it's my first time there. I'll be going back. It's nice to have a place where steel is welcome and understood.