Two Fish Strap on Bottle Cage?

Ginz

May 5, 2015, 9:45:10 AM5/5/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

Does anyone have the Two Fish strap on bottle cage?  Would it work on a tall seat post on a bumpy trail (with extra strap around the bottle) or is it a bit wobbly for that?

Patrick Moore

May 5, 2015, 12:20:21 PM5/5/15
to rbw-owners-bunch
In my experience with mine, no. I used mine on my gofast, on the seat tube, on smooth asphalt, and even so could barely get it tight enough to keep from rotating when I removed the bottle.

I think Minoura or Avenir or someone makes a cage mount with a cam-QR-type-clamp wide enough for at least steel frame tubes.

If you are interested, I've got a device, nice silver aluminum, sturdy and well made, that bolts to the seat post and to which you can mount 2 cages. I think it came on my Ken Rogers. If interested, make me interesting trade offers.

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 7:45 AM, Ginz <the...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi folks,

Does anyone have the Two Fish strap on bottle cage?  Would it work on a tall seat post on a bumpy trail (with extra strap around the bottle) or is it a bit wobbly for that?

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten

*************************************
The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a circumference on the rim of which all conditions, distinctions, and individualities revolve. Chuang Tzu

Kinei hos eromenon. It moves as the being-loved. Aristotle

The Love that moves the Sun and all the other stars. Dante

drew

May 5, 2015, 1:21:51 PM5/5/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
like patrick,
mine was not stable at all. really wanted to spin.  i got 2 of these hinged clamps instead and they are rock solid... i wasnt putting them on the seatpost though.

Ron Mc

May 5, 2015, 1:27:59 PM5/5/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
guys, do not pass go - you want KlickFix  http://www.velofred.com/other-adapters-c-214_265.html?secureID=e30f7e684bb8dc2abded7828a4a6ff67
their products work - their mounts stick like welding and their quick release is positive and solid

Metin Uz

May 5, 2015, 2:36:41 PM5/5/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
There is a trick to using these cages. If you wet the strap a few minutes before tightening, you can get the tension much higher as the strap dries -- old diver's trick. I used on successfully at Eroica California long route.

--Metin

Robert Studdiford

May 8, 2015, 11:09:46 AM5/8/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ginz and the Talk Group,

I"m Robert Studdiford, President of Twofish Unlimited. Our Quick Cage will work fine on your seat post on any trail. Our cages have been raced on and off road for almost twenty years now and the design has allowed cyclist to go long distances with confidence and function not designed into their frames. As a  case in-point, my good friend Dan Hensley just took first place in the single speed category of the Trans Continental Divide race using two Quick cages, one on either side of his ridge forks holding 24oz bottles and he never lost one. We make all of our cages here in the USA and  we can hold bottles from 16oz all the way up to 64oz. When you hit 40oz of fluid you don't want to bolt a cage on to your frame to hold that weight as it will, over time ,fatigue the metal around the lugs due to the vibration and they will fail leaving your bike compromised and not so good to ride... We use our patented block and strap mounting method to spread the weight out and yet firmly hold the load without damaging your frame. Make sure your frame is clean and the mating surface of the block is clean when installing and everything should work just fine. The other thing that is nice with our cages is that if you don't need them they come off easily.
In closing, I made this cage because my GT RST 1 Team circa 1994 did not have two waterbottle brackets for cages and at the time there was no Camel Back goin on so, I needed to take water with me and the seat post was the only space open for me to use so...that's the origin of the Quick Cage and it still works today.

Patrick Moore

May 8, 2015, 2:14:36 PM5/8/15
to rbw-owners-bunch, studd...@gmail.com
Robert: If I can discover how to strap a TwoFish to my seat tube (not seat post!) so that it doesn't rotate when I remove the bottle, I'll buy another one to replace the one I sold. In all but one crucial thing I found it the ideal solution to stupidly having a frame built with only down tube bottle cage mounts.

What is the trick to mounting it securely to a seat tube? Can you describe clearly (imagine you are talking to someone slightly dimwitted and with no mechanical talent -- details, in short, simple phrases) so that it be so securely mounted as to hold a 64 oz or 40 oz full bottle without rotating when the bottle is removed? (Again, seat tube, not seat post.) I could not get the one I owned for a couple of years to stay put; 28 oz bottles.

FWIW, I've tried many other clamp on substitutes and even if they didn't rotate, they were unsatisfactory in other ways.

Thanks for bringing up the point about metal fatigue and very large, heavy bottles.

Thanks, Patrick Moore

Metin Uz

May 8, 2015, 6:18:14 PM5/8/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, studd...@gmail.com
64 oz in a bicycle water bottle, really? Old style bottles are 16oz, and even larger ones usually no more than 24. I can't imagine any standard bottle cage holding a half gallon bottle.

--Metin

Patrick Moore

May 8, 2015, 8:30:07 PM5/8/15
to rbw-owners-bunch
Just quoting Robert.

Patrick Moore

May 13, 2015, 5:02:46 PM5/13/15
to studd...@gmail.com, rbw-owners-bunch
I probably sounded sarcastic when I asked my question, and sorry if so. But my question is serious: what are the step by steps to keeping the Twofish cage from rotating on a seat tube? I've tried all sorts of add-on cages, and the TF is the best -- except that I couldn't keep it from rotating under a 28 oz bottle.

Not for seat tube? Wet surfaces before mating? Clean I understand.

If I can get one to work properly, I'll buy at least 2 more.

Thanks.

I wrote a few days ago:

[...]

Philip Kim

May 14, 2015, 12:09:56 AM5/14/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, studd...@gmail.com
I got the twofish as well. I haven;t found a good way to use them.

Clayton

May 14, 2015, 1:26:05 PM5/14/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, studd...@gmail.com
I would suggest you buy some rubber electrical self vulcanizing splicing tape. It does not use adhesive.  It is available in almost all hardware stores. Wrap a couple of wraps around the seat tube, then install the strap. Ultimate no slip grip. It leaves no residue and is very easy to remove. I make my own frame bags and have used this stuff to line my straps (with contact cement) so the bags do not slide around, and slowly wear the paint. With this fix, your Two Fish will not twist or settle. I used to use a liquid rubber to smear into the surface of the webbing on my pump strap design. You could try that too. Of course frame and strap should be clean when installing.

Clayton (Bend

Patrick Moore

May 14, 2015, 1:52:52 PM5/14/15
to rbw-owners-bunch, studd...@gmail.com
Thanks for this -- will ask for it the next time I go to True Value (where I just found Friction tape! for handles).

The 2Fish cage holder will be a great product if I can get it to mount securely. For the record, the 2Fish light holders -- with in-line grooves and with grooves at right angles -- work very well for mounting small flashlights on the bar or -- with a red LED -- along the bottom of the left chainstay, for rear lighting.

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 11:26 AM, 'Clayton' via RBW Owners Bunch <rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I would suggest you buy some rubber electrical self vulcanizing splicing tape. It does not use adhesive.  It is available in almost all hardware stores. Wrap a couple of wraps around the seat tube, then install the strap. Ultimate no slip grip. It leaves no residue and is very easy to remove. I make my own frame bags and have used this stuff to line my straps (with contact cement) so the bags do not slide around, and slowly wear the paint. With this fix, your Two Fish will not twist or settle. I used to use a liquid rubber to smear into the surface of the webbing on my pump strap design. You could try that too. Of course frame and strap should be clean when installing.

Clayton (Bend

Clayton

May 15, 2015, 11:22:49 AM5/15/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, studd...@gmail.com
One other thing Patrick: The thick 3M tape becomes very gooey over time, and will get all over your frame and imbed the strap with goo. It makes a mess. Buy the cheaper thinner rubber tape. It stays 'tape' and doesn't goo out.

Clayton

Patrick Moore

May 15, 2015, 2:24:24 PM5/15/15
to rbw-owners-bunch
Thanks. I personally would use the 2F only occasionally -- the whole point of it, for me, is that it's easy on/easy off for any particular ride. It would stay on a bike only for a few days at most, so the problem of dissolving tape doesn't matter so much.