just waiting on my white Bluemels

Ron Mc

Apr 17, 2017, 8:03:28 AM4/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
on their way from France.
Will be taking the first distance ride on my old-bike project today (it already has a bigger Brooks bag with room for the tools).

Bought a '57 Lenton Grand Prix bare frame and original fork on CR.  What makes this frame tricky to build, aside from the Raleigh threads, is the Sturmey-Archer spec. droputs:
115mm OLD, 8mm axle slots.
Also learned the single shifter boss was all English - though it looked like a Simplex/Huret boss, it will only fit Cyclo.

I have a set of Zeus dropouts, but I'm proud to have built this bike without altering the frame.
What's really cool about the 1957 frame, is that it was gun-metal blued beneath the paint, making it rust-proof, but also, the bluing and silver paint diffused together, giving the paint a platinum-gray patina.

I knew I could build a better bike than take to hunt down and buy back the original parts.  Used many parts that I already had here, sourced a few, and engineered the hubset with the help of Michael R. at Phil Wood.
The only correct parts on this bike are the saddle, stem, and right-side shifter.

Yellow Jersey had the NOS 26tpi Whitworth headset.
Phil BB, custom Phil hubs, 8mm axles, 115mm OLD.  Had to use Synergy O/C rim to get the hubs approved by Phil Engr.
Cyclotouriste triple, half-steps plus granny, wide 5sp IRC freewheel.
Raleigh-branded VGT RD, Cyclone FD.
Already had around a Simplex chainguard that I tinkered to fit with the Cyclone FD, using and slightly altering the Simplex hardware.
GB Hiduminium stem, Maes bars, NOS Weinmann 730 side pulls.

RichS

Apr 17, 2017, 10:53:06 AM4/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow, that's beautiful!!! Let us know how it performs.

Regards,
Richard

Patrick Moore

Apr 17, 2017, 12:01:40 PM4/17/17
to rbw-owners-bunch
That is very nice! I'd love to build something like that up around my (too much announced) AM hub, which has a 114 or 115 OL axle.

Why custom bb spindle? What length?

30% Supply and Demand discount, listmembers only, on all resume, LinkedIn, and writing services, until Demand equals Supply! And there's more! 10% kickback for any referral resulting in fully paid, list-price contract. And still more!  I am offering services in trade for a road bike, or frame and parts, that are period compatible with my AM hub, circa 1937 to 1961. See my website for what I do and what I charge; email for details.

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten

Ron Mc

Apr 17, 2017, 12:14:35 PM4/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Patrick, nothing custom about the BB spindle.  It's a Phil BB, Raleigh "Super Course" cups.

The spindle is 125mm with 5mm offset - could have used 123mm with 10mm offset, but OOS until Phil can make another run.
The fun thing about building this was also the frustration - it took 7 weeks from inception to get my hubs in hand.  So I did all the math up front and had the bike completely built.

When I received my finished wheels Saturday morning, everything was already dialed in.  I adjusted inner travel on FD - RD didn't need anything - minor brake adjustments, and most importantly, the chain guard provided perfect clearance at max needed FD travel.

Ron Mc

Apr 17, 2017, 12:17:16 PM4/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
ps - you could use that hub on any model Raleigh Lenton, Rudge Pathfinder, or Tourist.

Ron Mc

Apr 17, 2017, 12:20:15 PM4/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
pss - this was the single-hardest piece of work -

- filing a dropout stop from 10mm down to 8mm

Ron Mc

Apr 17, 2017, 12:34:56 PM4/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
psss (if there's a such thing) - my riding window got rained out today - looks like my long smoke test ride will be Wed (probably best since I don't have the socket to properly measure torque the hubs - it's arriving in my McMaster order today.
Planning to debut the bike at San Antonio Frankenbike next Saturday - It will be at Alamo Beer Company and will ride in there from my buddy's house in Castle Hills

Eric Norris

Apr 17, 2017, 1:03:55 PM4/17/17
to RBW
How are your hubs fastened that you need a torque wrench to put them on?

--Eric Norris
campyo...@me.com
@CampyOnlyguy (Twitter/Instagram)

On Apr 17, 2017, at 9:34 AM, Ron Mc <bulld...@gmail.com> wrote:

psss (if there's a such thing) - my riding window got rained out today - looks like my long smoke test ride will be Wed (probably best since I don't have the socket to properly measure torque the hubs - it's arriving in my McMaster order today.
Planning to debut the bike at San Antonio Frankenbike next Saturday - It will be at Alamo Beer Company and will ride in there from my buddy's house in Castle Hills

Ron Mc

Apr 17, 2017, 1:09:23 PM4/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Eric, the Phil standard "fixie" hubs are 8mm bolts with shouldered washers.  Mine have 3 washers without shoulders, and a custom shouldered washer to fit under the derailleur hanger.
I used a '76 Raleigh derailleur hanger, cut the formed axle slot nubs in half with a dremel, and filed the derailleur hanger shouldered washer down to 8mm.  Here's the Phil spec on my custom hubset.

If you want to see the minutia and paints of the whole project, I posted it in detail on The CABE

http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/57-lenton-grand-prix-project.106349/

GAJett

Apr 17, 2017, 9:34:29 PM4/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
As a devotee of half-step+granny I'm interested in your gearing.  Tooth counts front and rear please.

I'm finding building half-steps getting challenging as many chainwheel makers have very limited odd--toothed options.  the T/A Zephyr being an exception.
Cheers!

Ron Mc

Apr 17, 2017, 11:21:53 PM4/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here's the 3x5 on my "new" Lenton - this works because I have an OS 47T big ring - I had these parts and plugged in two freewheels I had - the IRD was perfect.

and here's the 3x7 on my International using a new TA 46T big ring, and a Suntour Winner wide-7

Both are pretty Perfect.

Ron Mc

Apr 18, 2017, 7:47:41 AM4/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Eric,
Coming back to your question, and going to answer it a little better.  The normal Phil bolt-on hubs use 8mm bolts - convenient for what I need here.
Our bikes today use 10+mm axles, and have 11.5mm slots in the dropouts.  The washer that Phil uses in the dropouts has a sleeve the width of the dropouts, and a knurled shoulder that sits on the face of the dropout.
It makes for a very solid joint.  Again, I have 8mm slots, so the unthreaded shoulder of the long 8mm bolts is a perfect fit for my dropout slots.  On 3 sides, my washers are just the knurled face that bites that outside of the dropout.  My RD hanger is a standard 11.5mm slot for a 10mm axle, with the male components modified to fit into the 8mm dropout slot.  What Michael did was modify the 4th washer sleeve to make it the exact thickness of my derailleur hanger - again, making a very solid joint.

Why a torque measurement?   To get the feel of how tight these need to be.  With the exception of my daughter's Nexus IGH, every other bike around here I tighten by resistance on the Q/R lever.

Michael provided me the Phil torque spec, 20 Nm, which is a little higher than the Nexus torque spec.  I'm going carrying a high-torque, long-arm 6mm allen wrench.  Will be using my preset-click torque wrench just to get the feel for what that proper torque value feels like, so I'll know how to use this allen wrench I bought.