Quality of Sugino Alpina2 cranks nowhere near that of original model Alpina

Nick Payne

Dec 8, 2016, 1:04:50 AM12/8/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I own a pair of the original model Sugino Alpina cranks, which are about as nicely finished as any crank I've owned. So when I needed another set of cranks I had no hesitation in ordering a set of the Sugino Alpina2 cranks, thinking they would be of equivalent quality. However, when they arrived, I found that the quality of the finish is nowhere near the same level. To wit:

- the polishing on the new cranks is inferior

- on the new cranks the grinding marks between the spider arms have not been polished out as had been done on the older Alpina

- on the new cranks, there is not a consistent thickness of all the spider arms. In the linked photo, if you look at the spider arm nearest the crank, the surface of it is about 1mm higher where it meets the chainring compared to the other spider arms.

- on the new cranks, the webbing where the spiders each side of the crankarm meet the crank is much thinner, creating a location where a stress fracture can start - on the original model, this webbing had been ground back and then polished to reduce the chance of failure here. In the past I've had to retire a set of Campagnolo NR and SR cranks because cracks appeared at this location due to the thinness of the metal at this high stress location.

Original model Alpina (click on image for larger size)

New model Alpina2 (click on image for larger size)

So my suggestion would be, if you want a 110/74 crank: buy the XD instead. The quality of finish is much the same and it's substantially cheaper.

Ryan Thompson

Dec 8, 2016, 9:38:12 AM12/8/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
The original Alpina looks just like my Sugino Mighty Tour (new version) crankset but I think it's even more expensive then the Alpina2.

Ryan

ian m

Dec 8, 2016, 10:14:20 AM12/8/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Interestingly, the original crank is also thicker near the crank arm than it is on the other "spider arms". Makes me think it's not a defect of the newer crank

Bill in Roswell GA

Dec 8, 2016, 10:56:52 PM12/8/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think you should get a refund and/or replacement. There is no excuse for lack of quality control, regardless of where it's made.

Cheers
Bill in Roswell, GA

Ryan Fleming

Dec 9, 2016, 11:46:42 AM12/9/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
The bottom model does look kind of crude, doesn't it?

Joe Bernard

Dec 11, 2016, 3:46:41 AM12/11/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yep, it looks like it fell off a table unfinished and somebody kicked it across the room. That's one sad excuse for a Sugino.

Garth

Dec 11, 2016, 9:14:18 AM12/11/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

  Contact the seller Nick, and share your observations and be of good cheer about it, good things tend to just happen.

As for the side view, you are simply seeing the grain and machining, and it's not polished or anodized. That's not a defect, that's just how they chose to present it.