Go fast-ish tires on the Hillborne

Surlyprof

Mar 11, 2015, 11:28:05 AM3/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I can't afford to do too much experimenting when it comes to bikes and components so I could really use the wisdom and experience of the group on this one.  I have a 56 Hillborne that came with two sets of wheels.  The sturdy/heavy, 36h ones have 700x40 Schwalbe Mondials that I use for commuting, trails and all around town riding.  Now I get to leverage my birthday to finally get tires for the lighter 32 hole XT/Synergy wheels.  I wanted to set them up to turn the Sam into my only go-fastish road bike for summer riding.  I think I have it narrowed down to either 700x35 or 700x32 Marathon Supremes or Compass Stampede Pass (700x32).  I was leaning toward the Supreme 32's to be a big difference from the beefy Mondials but, after reading Jan's articles on tire size and pressure I started to think Supreme 35's might be a better choice.  The reason I lean toward the Schwalbes is that I've had a long, very positive and almost flatless history with Schwalbe.  Of course this wouldn't be a dilemma if I could just talk my wife into buying me the Rodeo in the web specials!

Since the Rodeo is not to be, I'd appreciate any guidance for a blissful, light-ish, go fast-ish road riding summer spent on the Hillborne.

Thanks,
John

Bill

Mar 11, 2015, 11:37:28 AM3/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I rode two seasons on Jack Brown greens on my Sam. No flats and plenty comfy. I highly recommend them. I noticed one of the "glamour" bikes on display at NAHBS last week was sporting them.

Zack

Mar 11, 2015, 11:37:52 AM3/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
John -

I think the compass tires are blissful, light-ish, and go-fastish tires which are perfect for road riding in the summertime on the Hillborne.  The Supremes, not so much.

I have yet to get a flat on the compass barlow pass extra lights.  Fingers crossed, but it just hasn't happened yet, with about a year of riding on them.  They are most excellent, and the ride is so so smooth.

I'd go for the barlow pass 38's.  Supple is v nice.  I also had marathons on the sam before switching to the compass.  I prefer the compass by a goodly amount.

Good luck!

-Z

Tim

Mar 11, 2015, 12:11:40 PM3/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I used to ride Jack Brown greens on my Hilsen. In the past I've never been one to notice much difference in tires. I put Stampede Pass tires on last spring and the difference was amazing. I'm considering the extra light version this year.

Deacon Patrick

Mar 11, 2015, 1:02:59 PM3/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Compass featherlight are amazing and handle mild dirt roads (and of course pavement) excellently. They lack tread for steeper/looser dirt and trails, especially where there is riding on moderate or more cambered surfaces. That's based on the Barlow Pass on my Quickbeam, which is what I would suggest for the most plush ride on a go-fast set up.

With abandon,
Patrick

Bill Lindsay

Mar 11, 2015, 1:58:52 PM3/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'd recommend the 700x38 Barlow Pass Extralight from Compass.  You can thank me later

Bill riding-700x38-Barlow-Pass-EL-on-a-56cm-Hillborne Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Mike Shaljian

Mar 11, 2015, 2:01:49 PM3/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
As someone who rode Mara Supreme 33's for years and switched to Barlow Passes on my Hillborne, I would emphatically recommend you get Barlow Passes, and get the extra-lights. I was amazed at how my bike suddenly "came alive" when I switched to these, after years of suffering from paranoia that glass would destroy my tires (problematic in a college town) and that running tires at maximum pressure made me faster.

I run the Barlows at 38 pounds in the front and 42 in the back and the ride is terrific, whether on pavement or gravel. I have not gotten a single flat in several thousand miles of riding these, and I still live in a college town with devolved children who still like to throw bottles in the street. I think fat, fast and light is a great combination and I don't think you can get a better tire than the Compass for predominantly road riding. The Marathons, on the other hand, are waaaaay overbuilt for most people (IMO), and the extra width of a 38 vs. a 33 will help with flat resistance.

Justin August

Mar 11, 2015, 2:47:16 PM3/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Echoing everyone else-
I'll never buy Schwalbe tires again unless the goal is to have them live through an alpaca-lips. You could go with Soma C-Lines, any of the 32 and up Compass (EL for extra comfort and speed), or nearly anything else.

You're almost definitely better off with Fatter, Lighter, Supple-er tires over Thinner, Heavier, Stiffer tires for creating the "go fast feeling" that you want.

-J

Tim

Mar 11, 2015, 3:12:57 PM3/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Now you guys have me thinking about switching from Stampede Pass to Barlowe Pass extra light...

Zack

Mar 11, 2015, 3:51:59 PM3/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Echoing what others have said, adding the Barlow Pass extra light tires is prob the most important thing I have done to improve my riding since actually buying a Riv.

Garth

Mar 11, 2015, 4:41:53 PM3/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Vittoria Voyager Hypers in 35,38 or 40 official, about 33,35 and 38 actual .

Get them from planetx.co.uk ,search for "vittoria+hyper"  (both same tyre)

Surlyprof

Mar 11, 2015, 11:34:40 PM3/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all the feedback!  I really appreciate everyone's knowledge and experience on this one.  Schwalbe may not be dead to me but... it may be on life support.

John

ted

Mar 12, 2015, 1:09:43 AM3/12/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
If you are looking for light responsive road only tires, I think the compass offerings are hard to beat. Since you have Schwalbes for commuting I highly recommend the Compass tires for your "go-fastish" option.
Re size: I've had both 32 and ~40 tires on my AHH. Both were/are great. However the 32's did look a bit lost in all that clearance. If you are at all enamored with Jan Heine's supple wide tires mantra, I strongly suggest you go with the 38's over 32's.
Finally, don't be afraid to run those Compass tires off road. I've had pretty good luck doing that.

Pondero

Mar 12, 2015, 8:24:37 AM3/12/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
My experience is like so many others already provided.  I recently installed Barlow Pass extra lights on my Quickbeam fixed-wheel bike.  I needed to switch the rear cog to compensate for the additional speed.  My prior tire was just as wide, but these tires are noticeably more comfortable...and they have that delightful high pitched hum.

Chris Johnson
Sanger, Texas

Darin G.

Mar 12, 2015, 11:13:19 PM3/12/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have 38ish Marathon Supremes on my Atlantis for commuting mounted on 36 hole XT/Mavic A719 rims.  I've also run JB Blues on there and on my 56 Hillborne on the same rim.  There's clearly a comfort difference with the bigger rubber and they are a little slower to spin up, but it doesn't seem to matter much when I've got a saddlebag and a front bag.  I like the fact that it feels bombproof and my mind is free from worry about potholes and punctures on my commutes, but short of touring and commuting I think they are overkill.  My go-fast bike is a Romulus and In November I replaced the Ruffy Tuffys  with the regular Stampede Pass and I noticed a dramatic improvement in comfort and performance.  One flat at about 400 miles (glass). If the difference between the Mondials and the Barlow Pass is at all similar, and I don't see why it wouldn't be you would be very pleased with the Barlow Pass.  Love Compass tires, they are the cat's pajamas.

Richard L.

Mar 14, 2015, 12:01:19 PM3/14/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

The Spring 2015 Bicycle Quarterly indicates there will be a Compass 35 - 622 tire, the Bon Jon Pass.  The tire's not yet shown on the Compass web site, and there is no availability date in the magazine.

Other new tire offerings per the magazine are:  55-559, Rat Trap Pass (Extralight only); 48-584, Switchback Hill; and 32-559, Elk Pass.

Justin August

Mar 14, 2015, 1:02:31 PM3/14/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
48mm 650bbbbbbbbb????

Exciting.

Rod Holland

Mar 14, 2015, 1:38:13 PM3/14/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Uh, I think it's the Elk Pass that's available in Extralight only, not the Rat Trap Pass (BQ, Spring 2015, page 4).

rod

RJM

Mar 14, 2015, 3:53:50 PM3/14/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I rode the Stampede Pass on my Roadeo last year and found them to be great tires. I'm sure the lighter ones that Compass sells are a bit quicker.

I also have a Sam Hillborne but it takes 650b wheels and with that bike for go fast tires I used Pari Motos. Those were pretty quick tires.

It's a bummer you aren't going for that Roadeo though....it's a hell of a bike and quicker than the Sam, in my experience.

cyclotourist

Mar 14, 2015, 6:32:28 PM3/14/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have Supremes on my city bike, and they're fine. Vittoria Hyper is VERY similar and I have them on the Riv I road today https://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclotourist/sets/72157650933911909
But you did say go-fast wheels, so any of the Compass offerings are fantastic and will feel nicer. Jack Browns as well, but I'd say try a touch larger in the 35mm range just to give you that extra bit of versatility. No downsides!!!

Cheers,
David

Member, Supreme Council of Cyberspace

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal

Surlyprof

Mar 14, 2015, 8:58:32 PM3/14/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I want to thank everyone again for all the feedback you've provided.  This has been a great learning experience for me.  I'll be curious to see what those 35 Bon Jon Pass tires will be like (On the first read I thought you wrote Bon Jovi Pass!).  However, I'm went with the group's advice and pulled the trigger on a pair of Barlow Pass extralights last night (with tan sidewalls).  I had re-read all of Jan Heine's research and what he wrote combined what you all wrote made a great deal of sense.  I thought 38 was larger than I wanted to go but I'm going to try running them on the lower end of the pressure scale to see if that saves me some roadside repairs.  I'll report back after I put in a few miles.

BTW, I was just up at Riv this morning and saw the Clem they were building up.  I think it had Smart Sams on it.  Looked fantastic!  Wish I could swing that preorder as an MTB replacement but that just isn't in the cards right now (credit cards, that is).

Thanks again for all the help with my tire trauma.

John

Bill Lindsay

Mar 14, 2015, 9:34:55 PM3/14/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I was sitting on BART, contemplating the look of my Barlow Pass Extralights.  Already they look positively svelte to me.

Surlyprof

Mar 15, 2015, 2:07:39 PM3/15/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Looking forward to my first ride on the lighter wheels and Compass tires!

John

Tim

Mar 15, 2015, 9:22:33 PM3/15/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Funny, I remember when I thought going to 25mm tires was CRAZEEEE! How could anyone ride tires that fat!

Surlyprof

Mar 15, 2015, 11:02:01 PM3/15/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

I got the Hillborne because the largest tire I could squeeze onto my Bianchi was a 25.  Loved that bike but I'll never go back!

Surlyprof

Mar 15, 2015, 11:05:30 PM3/15/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Would love to go for the Rodeo.  It's beautiful... and what a nice build!  Alas, a professor's salary limits me to probably one Riv for quite a while.  Feel like I chose well with the Hillborne.

John

Surlyprof

Mar 15, 2015, 11:08:26 PM3/15/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

BTW... When did they build a Hillborne with 650b tires?  Was that the earlier green ones with the 59cm top tube (on the 56)?  I always loved the 650b Hilson but that's pretty far out of my price range.

Surlyprof

Mar 31, 2015, 9:12:28 PM3/31/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
After carefully considering everyone's great feedback and rereading Jan Heine's articles on tire size and pressure, I finally got to take my maiden voyage on the Synergy wheels and brand, spankin' new Compass Barlow Pass tires.  Holy cow!  I had no idea what I've been missing!  I now understand the concept of "supple".  It was like riding on a cloud... a very smooth, fast and responsive cloud.  My most sincere thanks to everyone who recommended Compass tires and suggested the Barlow Pass Extralights over the Stampede Pass.  I'm sure I would have been thrilled with the Stampedes as well but the extra size gives me a little more confidence that my riding might be a little more flat-free.  I am amazed at the speed and feel of the bike now.  My hat's off to everyone at Compass.  Sam has been reborn beyond the go-fastish machine I was hoping for from this purchase.  Now onward to an Albastache cockpit.

Thanks everyone!

John

hangtownmatt

Mar 31, 2015, 10:36:45 PM3/31/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Supple tires make a difference, but I'm primarily a commuter averaging 100 to 150 miles a week and am skeptical they would be a good choice for my application.  I HATE fixing flats on cold dark mornings at 5 AM and really appreciated getting just a hair under 10,000 miles out of my Marathon Supremes.  However, as I near retirement my tastes could change so please keep us updated on the flat stats.

Matt

Chris Lampe 2

Mar 31, 2015, 11:22:29 PM3/31/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I am so torn on these tires.  I'm currently riding 40mm Duremes and I'm very unhappy with them.  They are sluggish and when I make a sharp turn, which I do quite often, the outside lugs feel squirmy and it's very unsettling.  On the other hand, I worry about flats and overall durability of the Barlow Pass tires.  I look forward to hearing more about your experience with them.

Joe Broach

Mar 31, 2015, 11:38:47 PM3/31/15
to rbw-owners-bunch
Matt,

I think the only way to know for sure is to try. Luckily, supple tires have great re-sale value on the list. I planned to take off the "fragile" GB Cypres 700x32s once the rains hit last year...they're still on. I've had zero punctures (one pothole pinch flat) in 9 months of my 10 miles a day commute plus a few fun rides.

Best,
joe broach
pdx or

Surlyprof

Mar 31, 2015, 11:53:41 PM3/31/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Since these are on a second set of wheels, I will be swapping them when I commute.  I agree that getting a flat at 6am while racing to catch a train would be bad since I start class at 8am.  My commute is along often dark gravel paths and city streets.  For that, I will be using the 36h Mavic A719s with Schwalbe Mondial 40s.  I've gotten 1000s of miles on previous Marathons.  I may always turn to Schwalbe for commuting needs.  This new set up has been the dream*... to own a Hillborne with a bombproof (albeit slower) set of wheels and tires for commuting and trails and a light, nimble set for weekends and summers.

* The real dream is a lightweight Hilson or Rodeo (or both) and a beefed up Hunq but that's a bit out of the range of a professor's salary in the bay area.  For now, with two sets of wheels, the Sam is proving to be the perfect bike.  I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever ride my SOMA mtb again.

John

blakcloud

Apr 1, 2015, 8:18:45 AM4/1/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I had that same kind of moment when I first tried Hetres on my Sam. They transformed the bike that made me change my mind that tires didn't make huge differences.

After a hundred kilometers if I was lucky got a slash that cut right across the casing of the tire and the tire was useless. That day I went back to my Marathons because for commuting I don't want to be fixing flats in the cold and rain. The bike feels like a truck with those tires, but at least a nice truck.

Thanks for the idea of using a second set of wheels with different tires. I have an identical set of wheels that I have been trying to selling in Toronto for over a year and nobody seems to want them. Now I am going to keep them and put Hetres back on. Since I am in Osaka right now, I will take a side trip to Kyoto to Grand Bois Cycles and pick up some new tires, including a spare.

Glad you are liking your tire choices.

Shoji Takahashi

Apr 1, 2015, 9:54:07 AM4/1/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Joe-- the only way if you'll get punctures is to try them. I commute through Cambridge MA, and roads conditions are not great. Lots of potholes and debris. I've been lucky only to get one pinch flat. In addition to road conditions, I think some folks ride lighter than others... YMMV.

I'd say give the supple tires a try. If you like your ride that much more, then what trade off are you willing to take?

shoji

David Yu Greenblatt

Apr 1, 2015, 10:37:01 AM4/1/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I also hate getting flats. My current setup of Marathon Supremes with Mr Tuffy tire liners and Slime tubes has been working pretty good. Can't wait to upgrade to these babies though:

David G, Flat Free, in San D

Patrick Moore

Apr 1, 2015, 12:56:25 PM4/1/15
to rbw-owners-bunch
I can't speak to its effectiveness for punctures caused by other than thorns, but Stan's is a miracle compared (IME) to Slime and True Goo and ilk; as I've repeated ad nauseam, 2 oz of Stan's added every quarter (very dry climate) lets me ride tubeless paper thin, 360 gram 50 mm tires in our goathead-ridden bosque. I hear that Orange Seal is even better.

Segway (tm): on Sat I was given the task of putting new tires on someone's hybrid. Nominal 50 mm or so, thick casing, stiff sidewalls -- your typical 15 dollar tire. We kept the original tubes, and what tubes they were! So effing thick, at least 50% thicker than the already nasty "thornproofs" that Stevie sells, that I needed help getting the beads back on the rims. Hardly any room for air. Beside the tubes, the tires had Mr Tuffys inside, too, plus True Goo. Hell, Jan's solid tires would probably roll better and be more comfortable.

Back to commuting: I tried Tuffys and Slime but gave up; with a couple of spare tubes and a good pump I could change a flat in short order. And if my boss complained I'd just tell him to shut up.

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten

*************************************
The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a circumference on the rim of which all conditions, distinctions, and individualities revolve. Chuang Tzu

Kinei hos eromenon. It moves as the being-loved. Aristotle

The Love that moves the Sun and all the other stars. Dante

Kieran J

Apr 1, 2015, 1:30:46 PM4/1/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
To those looking for a nice mid-fat 700c slick that straddles supple and durable, consider the Vittoria Voyager Hyper 700x38.

I've had a set of these on my commuter for a few months and they have been awesome. Really nice road feel and zero flats while riding through broken glass and accumulated debris on the roads, post-winter.

There was some talk on the list of the Planet X UK sale on these, which is still on. About 11 bucks each now, plus shipping !!

KJ

Mike Shaljian

Apr 2, 2015, 4:14:47 PM4/2/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Is 700 X 38 really "mid-fat"? Man, y'all need to get on a bike with 60mm Super Motos and see what the REAL plush and fast experience is about.

Kieran J

Apr 2, 2015, 4:27:29 PM4/2/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Haha! Well, if 700x38 is more like "skinny-fat", then I am missin' out :-P

KJ