Stem Shifters

Scott G.

Oct 1, 2010, 8:34:28 AM10/1/10
to RBW Owners Bunch
Threadless stem with Campy friction shifters on a 10s drive train.

Sounds like a future Riv project to me.

http://primateframes.wordpress.com/

William

Oct 1, 2010, 9:19:52 AM10/1/10
to RBW Owners Bunch
I like the idea of stem shifters. Ahearne frame feature them
frequently. Those pictured look pretty goofy with that housing
routing. Perhaps he should have used a longer clamp section instead
of that big stack of washers, and would have had room to put the cable
housing stops down there for a little bit more normal look. Then
again, if you are going out of your way to get stem shifters, normal
might not be the look you are after.

Ray Shine

Oct 1, 2010, 9:50:19 AM10/1/10
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I like stem shifters. I installed an older set on my Bleriot.  They are readily available on Ebay, many  as NOS, Suntour, Shimano.

Oct 1, 2010, 10:18:22 AM10/1/10
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Oct 1, 5:34 am, "Scott G." <sco...@primax.com> wrote:
> Threadless stem with Campy friction shifters on a 10s drive train.
> http://primateframes.wordpress.com/

Beautiful!

Until I realized that I'm having issues with drops (and have stopped
riding them for the time being), I used stem shifters almost
exclusively. The Primate's shifter placement is unusual in that the
shifters are mounted on the extension, rather than on the vertical
part of the stem; and yes, the cable routing is a little odd; but it
looks great. --Beth

RoadieRyan

Oct 1, 2010, 12:28:35 PM10/1/10
to RBW Owners Bunch
Dang that is cool - I like it never seen shifters mounted on the stem
extension before. Actually I think the routing looks pretty "sano"

William

Oct 1, 2010, 1:04:29 PM10/1/10
to RBW Owners Bunch
I gues the routing is OK, but it looks forced. This is more what I
was thinking:

http://www.ahearnecycles.com/pages/giusepperandonneur.html

Justin August

Oct 1, 2010, 5:46:25 PM10/1/10
to RBW Owners Bunch
Couldn't you get this easily by having some shifter bosses brazed onto
a tall steel spacer?

Andrew

Oct 1, 2010, 7:04:57 PM10/1/10
to RBW Owners Bunch
I agree I really wish they made steel spacers with shifter bosses.