Odds of a Fully lugged tandem happening?

Lungimsam

Jul 18, 2016, 2:02:33 PM7/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
The current tandem is full tig i think?
Someone correct if wrong.

If this run is successful do you think riv will one day put out a full lug version?

Or would that price it out too high?

Reason i ask is because lugs are so riv.
But this may be only shot at a riv tandom of any breed ever.

Garth

Jul 18, 2016, 2:30:06 PM7/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

 Maybe not a Riv brand, but you can certainly get a custom lugged tandem that rides just as well or better, depending on preferences from Bilenky in Philly.

Bill Lindsay

Jul 18, 2016, 3:12:24 PM7/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I would place the odds at somewhere between 5% and 15%.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, Ca

Metin Uz

Jul 18, 2016, 6:19:32 PM7/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Monday, July 18, 2016 at 11:30:06 AM UTC-7, Garth wrote:

 Maybe not a Riv brand, but you can certainly get a custom lugged tandem that rides just as well or better, depending on preferences from Bilenky in Philly.

Given that Bilenky asks for an additional $7,000 over their fillet brazed model, I question if this mythical beast even exists. I know Pogliaghi built lugged tandems, which required fillet brazing a frame and then cutting it up to make lugs, since nobody makes a lug set for a tandem.

Deacon Patrick

Jul 18, 2016, 6:26:58 PM7/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Good news! Any tandem can be fully lugged (up stairs, over hills and dales, across creeks and rivers...
Grin.

I would put the chance is greater than zero (because statistically it has to be) and less than anything measurable even with modern micro calibration. Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick

Will

Jul 18, 2016, 10:15:45 PM7/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm guessing Riv, having made tandem design work, would accept custom orders.

They might have to fudge with some filet brazing, but I think that would be acceptable to the cognocenti.

cyclotourist

Jul 19, 2016, 12:54:43 AM7/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bob Brown will build any tandem you ask for:
http://www.bobbrowncycles.com/gallery_tandem.htm
> --

Cheers,
David

Member, Supreme Council of Cyberspace

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal

Garth

Jul 19, 2016, 5:51:42 AM7/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
We are not speaking of pie in the sky here ! If it did not exist Bilenky would not offer it. Here is one ... http://www.cycleexif.com/bilenky-cycle-works-tandem

Metin Uz

Jul 19, 2016, 2:06:35 PM7/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
No question it can be built. This one has fillet brazed BB shells and bi-laminate lugs. Essentially fillet brazed tubing cut into lugs. You can see why it costs $12K instead of a more reasonable $5K for basically identical frame that is all fillet brazed. The question is if anyone has seen one in the wild.

Garth

Jul 19, 2016, 2:36:32 PM7/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

      There are many many wonderful things in existence that an eye of doubt would be incapable of seeing :)

Ed Felker

Jul 19, 2016, 3:50:25 PM7/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
We had a custom fully lugged road & randonneuring tandem built last year by Tom Kellogg/Spectrum.

My wife Mary wrote a post about it: https://chasingmailboxes.com/2016/04/27/the-highs-and-lows-of-new-bike-day/

Here's a photo of the frameset by Tom; scroll forward to see more details. https://www.flickr.com/photos/spectrumcycles/20710233560

The price for the frameset and fork was about twice what Grant charges for a full custom Rivendell. It could go higher depending on the paint scheme.

I forwarded photos to Grant and he replied that it took many hours of labor to craft the lugs. For the same reason, Tom builds just one tandem a year.

The $1,600 price for the tandem frameset Grant is selling now is a real bargain for what you are getting. It's not my kind of tandem but the value is quite good.

Ed
Washington, DC

Grant @ Rivendell

Jul 20, 2016, 12:30:47 PM7/20/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'd always wanted to do a lugged tandem, but we can't afford the tooling for it, it would be extreeeeeemly suicidal, and it would take many tandem-curious people out of the running. A tandem is rarely the most ridden bike, and a super expensive one risks becoming a objet d'guilt or a at least a tug-o'-war thing in a marriage; and it rules out riders of moderate means.
The HHH is a strong, fun, practical, and affortable--and even so, I think we've maxed out the market for it. We've place our order, and have painfully said no to one or two who missed the deadline.
Most of the stuff about it and that is here:
http://hubbuhubbuh.tumblr.com/

In a year or two if we have more interest, we could do another round of them. But "interest" would have to be followed by a pay-up-front & wait-a-ton commitment, and that's a lot to ask. I had no idea we'd get the response we did, but I think that's a one-time aberration-lightning bolt thing that could never be repeated. Anyway, I'm happy with the HHH because it is coming out so well, but I don't see us as a tandem company. I think (and hope) that other truly tandem companies will have a look at the HHH layout and so on, and copy it. Who wouldn't want a fun fatty tandem with a steel fork and almost unlimited capabilities that allows dangerous adventurous, but is ideal for family rides with kids as young as ten?