FS 51 Joe Appaloosa silver

Andrew Huston

Nov 4, 2017, 12:37:43 PM11/4/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
A proper listing. Complete for $1800 plus shipping, F/f/hs and crank for $1000 plus shipping.
Velocity Cliffhanger wheels, schwalbe big bens
MAP bars, nitto technomic 9cm , shimano 9 speed bar ends on thumbies
XT brakes
XT rear mech. Deore front
3x deore crank

https://www.flickr.com/gp/43976096@N08/x7MdQ4

A CT Cyclist

Nov 6, 2017, 7:30:06 PM11/6/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I might be interested but need a few details please. For the $1800 price everything in the picture? How about a couple more pics?

Andrew Huston

Nov 7, 2017, 6:33:18 PM11/7/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I PM’d you with clarification. I intend to keep pedals and saddle.

Andrew Huston

Nov 12, 2017, 8:24:50 AM11/12/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bump. Great Christmas present!!

Andrew Huston

Nov 13, 2017, 12:07:08 PM11/13/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

Andrew Huston

Nov 19, 2017, 8:57:12 PM11/19/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
$1700 plus shipping

A CT Cyclist

Nov 23, 2017, 9:01:21 PM11/23/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Andrew, couple of questions. What is the teeth count on the chainrings and the cassette? Can you please measure the actual length of the top tube not the effective. Here in Connecticut we don't have any local Riv dealers so I've never had the opportunity to ride one and get a feel for the size and fit of a 51 cm.

On Sunday, November 19, 2017 at 8:57:12 PM UTC-5, Andrew Huston wrote:
$1700 plus shipped

Andrew Huston

Nov 23, 2017, 9:16:52 PM11/23/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Crankset is 48/36/26 and cassette is 11-34.
I measure 56cm c-c top tube. I would love confirmation if anyone riding a 51 would chime in otherwise Riv HQ would be a great resource.

Joe Bernard

Nov 24, 2017, 12:52:57 PM11/24/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm not clear why you need to actual tt measurement..it won't tell you anything about reach. The best way to size an Appaloosa is by virtual horizontal tt, plus a visualization of how much seatpost will show on a 51cm c-to-t seattube.

For reference, I have a 79-ish pbh and my 51 Appa fit great with Albas, and even did ok with Noodles. The reach to the drops was a bit of a stretch, but I never use them..the hoods position was great.

A CT Cyclist

Nov 24, 2017, 7:28:28 PM11/24/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
The reason why I asked for an actual measurement was for comparison to the bikes that I ride now. So why did you sell your Appaloosa?

Joe Bernard

Nov 24, 2017, 7:52:39 PM11/24/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's a long story I've already bored people with a few times, but the short version is I was in a bit of a cash crunch during a chaotic summer. It's a great bike and if I wasn't already invested in my upcoming Cheviot, I would seriously consider buying this Appaloosa.

If you think it will fit I strongly recommend it. My impression is there aren't a lot of 51s out there, and most people who have them aren't selling.

Andrew Huston

Nov 25, 2017, 4:02:47 PM11/25/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ok guys. I have an opportunity to buy a friends bike at a great discount. It better suits my needs. This results in me being pretty open to offers (within reason). Shoot em’ my way.

Andrew Huston

Nov 28, 2017, 6:39:16 PM11/28/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
How many bumps is too much? I want this thing to be in someone else’s garage.

REC

Nov 29, 2017, 4:40:16 AM11/29/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

I LOVE my 51 cm Joe A. It rides like a dream without being sluggish.  If anyone is seriously considering Andrew's bike but first wants to see it in its actual size, please PM me off list.  Mine is the 2016 version.   I'm Philadelphia.

Roberta

Doug H.

Nov 29, 2017, 2:59:46 PM11/29/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
What PBH fits the 51cm?

Bob B

Nov 29, 2017, 4:03:08 PM11/29/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
80-84

REC

Nov 29, 2017, 4:15:24 PM11/29/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
My PBH is 83 and my seat is probably set to 73-ish--I like my seat high.  I've since change my saddle from a B17 to a flyer, so there might be less stem showing now.

This bike is sooo nice to ride.  The next most expensive bike I'd ever owned cost $300, but once I test rode this, it was easier to part with my money; it's that good.

Roberta

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 4:03:08 PM UTC-5, Bob B wrote:
80-84
AppaloosaWithRackFenders.JPG

Doug H.

Nov 29, 2017, 4:59:54 PM11/29/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
That’s a beautiful bike! Thanks for the info.

Joe Bernard

Nov 29, 2017, 5:02:23 PM11/29/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'd widen the PBH range down to 78. I'm 79 and it fit me great.
Message has been deleted

Ash [who works to bike]

Nov 29, 2017, 8:48:10 PM11/29/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm 79 PBH too and 51cm fits just perfect.

I must add that:

If you are considering a drop bar build, you need to be in the PBH range Bob B mentioned.

For my height (and torso/arm length importantly) , even with a stem with very short extension, only fully swept back handlebars are comfortable (for the way this bike is meant to be ridden, which is fully upright)

Belopsky

Nov 29, 2017, 8:49:01 PM11/29/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ahhh to discuss fit, especially the horizontal., and only consider one's inseam, interesting concept.

REC

Nov 29, 2017, 9:46:47 PM11/29/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Being female, for my 83pbh, I bet I have shorter torso than most of the guys here.  Even though my handlebars are quite swept back, I don't ride bolt upright, but have a little bit of a lean in.  I'd think 84pbh would be just fine.

If it's helpful, I did test ride a 50cm Sam and the Joe's size felt better. (I had fully expected to go home with a Sam, not a Joe, that day.)  I don't remember if I rode a Clem.

Roberta

Andrew Huston

Nov 30, 2017, 8:29:01 PM11/30/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
If any interest is piqued, I’m open to offers for a partial build as well. I can use the levers, rear mech, maybe bars. I have a new set of smart sams that will go with as well as big bens currently mounted.
Message has been deleted

Andrew Huston

Dec 1, 2017, 8:21:47 PM12/1/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Last drop before I fully give up selling. $1700 INCLUDES shipping, PayPal f/f. Unless it’s simply a crappy time of year to sell, I can’t figure out what I need to do short of giving it away for free.

Bob Lovejoy

Dec 1, 2017, 8:40:53 PM12/1/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Andrew,

I do feel your pain - and the frustration.  But I think the point about it being a bad time of year for selling a bike, especially one that runs into significant dollars even when said bike is beautiful and worth it.  That said, bikes are usually bought by the people who will be riding them, and those same people might have other responsibilities and priorities here during the holidays.  Some still look and can buy, but many potential buyers might be on the sidelines, making sure that another holiday season is survived.

Though I have at least a couple of bikes I really need to sell, and nice bikes at that, I am going to wait until early in the new year to list them, and only because of the holidays and the points mentioned.

Regardless, good luck with the sale!  Good, easy and happy holidays to you and in the new year.

Bob L.
Galesburg, IL

Jeremy Tavan

Dec 2, 2017, 11:01:24 AM12/2/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
If I didn't already have both a Clem and a MTBubbe (build forthcoming), I'd be all over this. I think the 51cm size would fit really nicely as a drop-bar bike, and the silver color is very classy. Good luck with the sale, and as Bob mentioned, maybe try again in the new year to see if there's more appetite.

Andrew Huston

Dec 2, 2017, 7:21:30 PM12/2/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sale pending for all but Map bar/ESI grip, stem, 9 speed shifters on Paul thumbies and levers. Thanks to all for the positive words and information.

Ed Fausto

Dec 2, 2017, 7:34:18 PM12/2/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thank goodness!
I was about to email Andrew on his 51 Appaloosa.
It has saved the contents of my wallet :-)

Ed

On Sun, Dec 3, 2017 at 8:21 AM, Andrew Huston <firsttolast...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sale pending for all but Map bar/ESI grip, stem, 9 speed shifters on Paul thumbies and levers. Thanks to all for the positive words and information.

Joe Bernard

Dec 2, 2017, 9:02:08 PM12/2/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Heyyy! I just sold my Clem, too. Cha ching!

REC

Dec 2, 2017, 9:43:37 PM12/2/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Let us know when it's a done deal, so we can congratulate both you and the lucky (smart) person who now will own a great bike.