Spring, winds, flowers, dirt, ride

Patrick Moore

Mar 19, 2018, 4:06:22 PM3/19/18
to rbw-owners-bunch
Nothing special, except to me, but I just got back from a very nice 20 mile out 'n' back on the Matthews; 17 miles of it dirt, and most of that rather choppy because I followed the acequia roads from the southern to the northern end of Corrales, just shy of the dam, and that is horse country. Stopped after a few miles into Corrales and let out more air -- checked when I got home and I had about 18 psi in the Big Ones, which weren't horrible on pavement, but not as linear in the turn-in (if you will forgive the confused metaphor) as with 28 psi -- again, pavement.

It is very nice to have completed last week's quota of resumes, and to have a day on which to, well, just goof off (tho' finicky client in Singapore said he'd send me data to incorporate by tomorrow ... but he's late, so I rode without a qualm in my conscience).

Fatter tires need less pressure, all else equal, to "support" the sidewalls (and, more supple tires, all else equal, require more pressure than an equivalent with stiffer sidewalls); but, then, too, fatter tires don't compress as much as narrower tires on the same rims at the same pressure, all else equal.

At any rate, for mostly dirt, as this ride, ~18 or so seems good; for mostly pavement, north of 26 psi; for my most common rides on this bike, at least 1/3 pavement, about 23.

What do all ya'll think of this thing for:

1. Quick pressure replenishing after riding the tires squishy on dirt;
2. Popping tubeless beads into place?

There are all sorts of reservoirs available that you hand-pump to the pressure and volume needed to seat tubeless tire beads, but AFAIK, this is the sole device that is designed to be carried with you as a gonfleur in the old-fashioned cycling meaning of the term.

Patrick Moore, in blustery, warming (40-50 during my ride), ABQ, NM, where the fruit trees are just on the verge of blooming

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, New Mexico, Etats Unis d'Amerique
Auditis an me ludit amabilis insania?