Saddle Sack Med and Leg Strike

Vincent Tamer

May 14, 2018, 9:39:26 AM5/14/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hello!

I notice the back of my quadracep hits the back of the Medium Saddlesack when riding. Any solutions to this, aside from longer straps to make it sit farther back?

If I removed the rack it sits on I wouldn't be able to sit it farther back, so it seems I can't use it without the rack and not have it hit my legs when I pedal.

Thoughts?

Joe Bernard

May 14, 2018, 10:08:05 AM5/14/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Longer straps at the saddle plus mounting the front strap to the rack instead of seatpost should help. Another solution if you keep the bag on the bike all the time is to mount the bottom to the rack with zipties, skipping the the saddle mounting altogether.

The final (expensive) solution is the Nitto saddle-rail quick-release which will hang the bag further back from the saddle. The benefit here is it's very easy to pop it off the bike to run into the store.

Toshi Takeuchi

May 14, 2018, 10:11:56 AM5/14/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
One potentially cheap solution is to mount a tube at the back of the seat post to push the bag back an inch or two.  One iteration of the Acorn bags used to have a leather tube to do just what I suggested above.

Toshi

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 7:08 AM, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:
Longer straps at the saddle plus mounting the front strap to the rack instead of seatpost should help. Another solution if you keep the bag on the bike all the time is to mount the bottom to the rack with zipties, skipping the the saddle mounting altogether.

The final (expensive) solution is the Nitto saddle-rail quick-release which will hang the bag further back from the saddle. The benefit here is it's very easy to pop it off the bike to run into the store.

Patrick Moore

May 14, 2018, 11:28:21 AM5/14/18
to rbw-owners-bunch
I've used saddlebags since Rivendell started selling them circa 1994, and almost all of mine have lightly bumped my legs. I simply ignored the sensation, and after a few miles I didn't even notice it. Carradices, Cartwrights, Sackvilles, clones of various makes -- I much prefer that slight contact than having to install a rack.

But the Carradice SQR ("seapost quick release") mounting system seems to keep Campers and Nelson LFs off your thighs.

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, New Mexico, Etats Unis d'Amerique
Auditis an me ludit amabilis insania?

Tim O. (Portland, OR)

May 14, 2018, 4:27:24 PM5/14/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I use a saddle mounted bag support. Here's a MUSA one: http://www.theyellowbirdsociety.com/tailfeather/

Toshi Takeuchi

May 14, 2018, 5:50:06 PM5/14/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
If you want to see some pics, just search Acorn bag with standoff.  The only caveat is that you might need to extend the strap that you use to attach the bag to the seat tube.

Toshi

Vincent Tamer

Tim Gavin

May 15, 2018, 10:35:44 AM5/15/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I've seen folks use various tube-shaped items as the standoff: pvc pipe, garden hose, any random strap, where Acorn uses a leather "cuff".

Since the bag-to-seatpost strap is too short with the standoff, I use an old toe strap (from strap and clip pedals) to replace it.

Andrew Patteson

May 15, 2018, 10:44:00 AM5/15/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have used a cork from a wine bottle, cut down a bit and with a piece of thin wire run through it (and through the leather strap) to help it stay in place.  I don't mind it lightly brushing my legs as I pedal, but I wanted just a little bit more offset.

Andrew P. in SLC, UT

Mark in Beacon

Vincent Tamer

May 16, 2018, 11:22:55 AM5/16/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes it looks like they are being discontinued (atleast blue and grey).