Giving up on my Cambium C17

Broccoli Cog

Jun 13, 2017, 7:47:59 PM6/13/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
As I continue on my quest to find relative comfort on my Sam I think I am well on my way wth a successful switch to the Albatross bars. What lies ahead is the need to address my saddle discomfort. I have two Brooks Cambium C17's. One on a Surly ICT and the other is on my Sam. I have ridden the saddles for 8 months and I have decided to give up on making them work. I feel that I am close to being comfortable with the C17. I have tried both with padded shorts and without. For rides up to an hour the saddle is ok. Anything longer than that my sits bone start to really hurt. From past experience with padded saddles I know that narrower is better for me so that is what is leading me to the C15.

Is there anyone who has a Cambium C15, either slotted or regular that you would be willing to let me borrow for a couple of weeks? I pay for shipping both ways and you would have my absolute word that I would return it to you. If so I would be forever grateful. I also would be willing to offer one of my C17 as a trade if this would be something that would interest anyone. Please contact me off list if this is something that you are willing to do.

Tim

Dave Small

Jun 13, 2017, 8:01:59 PM6/13/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have a Cambium on my commuter but don't find it as comfortable as a Brooks B-17 or a Berthoud Aspin or Mente.  The Cambium feels harder--not comfortably so--but I like the weatherproofness of it so give up a little comfort for that quality since the distance isn't daunting.

Are you sure the saddle width is the issue?

Broccoli Cog

Jun 13, 2017, 8:25:03 PM6/13/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Dave. Actually know I'm not sure. I thought I would give it a try though. I am also considering a Rivet Diablo or a SA. Maybe even a leather Brooks. At this point I am trying not to waste money on a saddle I can't live with. It's such a dilemma we cyclist face. I may have to just suck it up and buy something but I wanted to check here first.

Joe Bernard

Jun 13, 2017, 8:45:14 PM6/13/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Did you try these after giving up on leather saddles? I ask because I can only ride B17. I tried a C17 for a month to take advantage of the longer rails, lighter weight and weatherproofness, but it was a torture rack. Back to leather for me.

Jeff Lesperance

Jun 13, 2017, 9:03:06 PM6/13/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I can use B17 saddles on upright-ish bikes, but sitbones want a B17n (narrow) on drop bar/leaned over riding. In the interest of water-proofiness, I tried the in-between width of the C17 - it was good, but long distance riding aggravated bits of the undercarriage other than the sit bones. I then tried a C17 carved and found nirvana on a saddle.

I said all that to say... if it's truly a sit bones problem, than narrower or wider may do the trick, but, if it possibly a slightly different undercarriage problem, maybe the carved/slotted C17 is the trick.

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 8:45 PM Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:
Did you try these after giving up on leather saddles? I ask because I can only ride B17. I tried a C17 for a month to take advantage of the longer rails, lighter weight and weatherproofness, but it was a torture rack. Back to leather for me.

Deacon Patrick

Jun 13, 2017, 9:04:38 PM6/13/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Several thoughts:

-- Rivet saddles are great! I love my Diablo, but it is very narrow and likely too narrow for Albatross bars? Also Rivet has a 1 year love it guarantee, refund or exchange. Great to work with.
-- Next on my list to try when I was in your same dilemma was the Berthoud Aspin, but I loved my Rivet so went no further.

With abandon,
Patrick

Broccoli Cog

Jun 13, 2017, 9:19:05 PM6/13/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Joe. Good point and yes I am considered a B17 or other Brooks leather model. I am also considering a SA or a Rivet Diablo.

Joe Bernard

Jun 14, 2017, 3:05:41 AM6/14/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
BC: If you can find a used-not-trashed B17, that's a good (slightly cheaper) way to find out if it works for you. New ones can take so long to break in that you might throw in the towel before finding out if it's a possibility. I'd look for one that's got enough life in it to last a while, then if it clicks you can start over on a new one later. That C17? Turn it over and put a plant in it!

Broccoli Cog

Jun 14, 2017, 5:57:20 AM6/14/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I was wondering about buying a used B17. I thought the whole idea is that after break in the saddle forms its shape to the riders anatomy. Lets say a rider owns it for a few years and it forms to that individual rider. Is it possible for me to then ride the same saddle and have it adapt to my own shape? Something I have been wondering about.

Broccoli Cog

Jun 14, 2017, 5:59:09 AM6/14/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Deacon. I have read some of your reviews on the Rivet. My LBS is a dealer so I thought I would try them out. I really like the idea of the guarantee they offer. That is really appealing when you are taking a chance on a $150 saddle.

Chris Birkenmaier

Jun 14, 2017, 9:52:31 AM6/14/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I own a ton of Brooks leather saddles and really don't find the B17 hard to break in, per se.  In fact, the shape is basically comfortable to me from the beginning.  The Brooks Pro is extremely hard and can go a long time before any break in at all happens.  I bought a used B17 off of eBay and I think the secret is to not have it dimpled with someone else's sit bones already impressed.  However, I have read of people who bought well used ones and over time the leather simply molds to their body from the previous owners.  I also cannot abide with the Cambium.  I'd love to like it but the rounded back portion of the saddle doesn't agree with me.   Another saddle I like very much is the Berthoud Mente.  It is wide and flat in the back with a long and narrow "nose".  Works really well for me.

Jay Connolly

Jun 14, 2017, 9:52:37 AM6/14/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have both Rivet saddles and Brooks saddles. The Rivets are comfortable more quickly, IMO, but the Brooks saddles are a little more comfortable in time. I tried the Cambium and hated it. I was surprised by the claims that it was designed to replicate a B17 in a different material. I'm plenty heavy enough to take advantage of the flex in a Cambiu, but it felt like 2x4s to me.

Jay

Broccoli Cog

Jun 14, 2017, 11:15:50 AM6/14/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I agree Jay. I think that hump at the top of the C17 is problematic for me. The comments are making me think more about trying a B17

REC

Jun 14, 2017, 6:26:54 PM6/14/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi, Broccoli Cog.

I got my first Brooks--a B17 two months ago on a Joe A.   Prior to that, I rode inexpensive saddles that I purchased at the LBS, but those rides were usually short, less than 10 miles.

My first ride on B17 was OK, but my sits bones and back hurt a little, like the first spring ride after the winter is finally over.  Don't know if it was the saddle or the upright position.  Never had an issue after that.  Only about 125-150 miles on it so far and no other issues.  I cannot say "it's the most comfortable saddle ever" but I can say that I can ride it 30 miles without any issues and not really noticing it's there.  I guess that makes it the most comfortable saddle in that there is no discomfort at all.

I did try a cambium, the C19 I think, on a test ride of another bike and did not like it.  However, I was only on it for 10 minutes, so not sure that was a fair test ride.  One day, I'd like to try a flyer on my Joe.

I ride in regular clothes, no padded shorts.

Roberta

Christopher Cote

Jun 14, 2017, 7:52:29 PM6/14/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Tim, my experience with the C17 is the same as yours. I find the C17 good for about 10-15 miles and after that my sit bones are aching. As I prefer a Brooks Pro over a B17, I thought maybe I needed a narrower saddle, so I tried the C15. That was like sitting on the sharp edge of an ax. The C15 is actually a lot like the old Selle San Marco Regal.

Chris

Bob K.

Jun 14, 2017, 8:31:41 PM6/14/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
For about a decade, I rode B17s exclusively. I then I went on a short tour with a bunch of rain in the forecast and didn't want to fuss with leather--not that my saddles haven't gotten wet many times over the years, but regardless. I threw on a relatively narrow Selle plastic saddle and went for it. I loved it. But honestly, as much as I liked the feel and no-fuss nature of it, it was too ugly. I demoed a C15 to see if that would be a good middle ground and I hated it at first. Felt like a rock. Made some adjustments and took a few more rides and all of a sudden I liked it. Ordered a C15 carved and couldn't be happier. I still love the B17 on my Sam, but the C15 carved ticks all the boxes for me in terms of comfort, good looks, and lack of fuss.

Bob K. in Baltimore

Joe Bernard

Jun 14, 2017, 8:37:49 PM6/14/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've purchased several used B17s and they were all comfortable immediately. Every body-to-saddle relationship is different, but I've never found that the used shape interferes with mine.

Someone else mentioned adapting to new ones right away, which I'm sure is possible if "right away" means lots of long rides. I'm a bit of a short-ride plonker, so it takes me quite a while to break in a Brooks B17.

drew

Jun 14, 2017, 11:44:07 PM6/14/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm one of those who finds Brooks b17 shaped saddles comfortable right out of the box, as well as over time. The shape just works for me, I guess. I actually never think about my saddles now that I have a Brooks on all my bikes. They truly disappear for me.
I rode with my friend the other day who spent the last part of the ride out of the saddle because his butt was hurting so bad. That was the first time in a long time that I remembered, "wait, my butt never hurts. Cool"

Bill in Roswell GA

Jun 15, 2017, 12:43:10 AM6/15/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Just some insight on the Cambiums. Having a 35 yr. old B 17 and having tried the Cambium C 17 and C 19, my thoughts are that Cambiums work better for heavier riders. I'm now at 206 lbs and the C 17 carved and the C 19 both feel pretty good, though my max rides on both borrowed saddles was 2 hours. I think the Cambium needs a bit of weight to work as intended. The C 15 must be stiff as a hatchet!

The Cambium works well for a lot of touring cyclist around the world, judging by all the photos on various websites. However, I'll spend my money next on a Rivet Diablo. Rivet totally backs their work and complaints are rare and far between.

Cheers,
Bill in Roswell, GA

Mark in Beacon

Jun 15, 2017, 12:50:51 AM6/15/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
My latest build has a Brooks Pro, which I like. But I used to ride the SSM Regal back in the day, and I liked that saddle a lot. In fact, I recently picked one up on eBay (white, perforated) for an upcoming build. I also like the B17, and the Swift. I also don't mind the Belt Fujita, which is firm like the Brooks Pro. I guess I have a hard ass, butt then again, these days 3 hours in the saddle is a long ride.

masmojo

Jun 15, 2017, 5:25:47 PM6/15/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've got a half dozen B-17s, a C-19 & a C-17 carved, until my Rosco was recently stolen I had the Berthoud as well.
Because, I have a half dozen of them, you could correctly assume I like those! B-)
I like the C-19, but it seems a little hard.
The Berthoud took some asjusting to, because of the way the nose of the saddle seems to go up. I bought it used for cheap for a buddy of mine, he couldn't get comfortable with it so I traded him a B-17 & he likes that.
The C-17 carved however is my favorite and doubly so since I ride in all sorts of weather.
I also love B-72s
Just for reference I am 240lbs.

Christopher Cote

Jun 17, 2017, 4:14:52 PM6/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm tempted to try the C17 carved, since I'm on the lighter side of the spectrum. It ought to give some more flex, right?

Chris

Tim Gavin

Jun 19, 2017, 9:07:06 AM6/19/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I tried the C17 standard and the carved, and I much prefer the carved (Imperial style).  It definitely gives the Cambium more flex.  I use it on a rigid fat bike, and it doesn't beat me up.  I'll probably replace the B17 on my 'cross bike with one as well, once I break the B17.

Doug Bloch

Jun 19, 2017, 10:34:34 AM6/19/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
My experience? B17 was comfortable right out of the box. Brooks Pro does take a lot longer to break in as some others said. Cambium felt hard and inflexible, and that was disappointing because I really wanted to like it. I would still like to try a carved one though.

Used B17s can be had for cheap on Craigslist and they have a good resale value. Give one a try!