FS: Riv Road Stnd-56cm-complete bike

WETH

Sep 19, 2016, 6:17:14 AM9/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Complete bike: $1700 shipped or $1600 local pickup-Washington DC area. F/f/hs: $900 shipped or $850 local pickup. PayPal please.

I bought the f/f/hs used on eBay and built it up as a 650b conversion before changing to 700c. It rides wonderfully and is beautiful! However, since acquiring my Romulus, I am mostly riding the Romulus! I also have a Cheviot to build up and ride. Time to move this bike to an owner with time to ride it! Though it pains me a bit as I will miss the gorgeous paint, lugs and head badge! As previously stated I originally built this as a 650b, but the bike currently has 700c wheels and Ruffy Tuffy tires. (Photos show bike as both 650b and 700c)

Frame is in great condition: two notable issues-one scuff in the clear coat on the top tube and a bulge on the headtube under the headbadge with a corresponding paint chip-I bought the bike with these flaws.

Pictures here: https://flickr.com/photos/86975051@N08/sets/72157646658697853
Happy to provide more pics if wanted.

Frame measurements: 56cm c-c seat tube, 57.5cm c-c top tube. I am happy to provide other measurements and photos. (I have a 75-76 cm saddle height and 86cm PBH.)

Spectrum Tom Kellogg paint job is gorgeous!
Headset: Campagnolo record
Components included (also see photos with exceptions listed below):
-Tektro R539 brakes (some photos show R559 brakes which are not included)
-TRP brake levers
-Kmc chain
-Altus rear derailleur
-11-32 shimano cassette
-Shimano CX-70 front derailleur
-Shimano 8sp shift levers
-BB un55 107mm
-Crankset sugino wide low double;170 crank length
-Nitto noodles 46cm
-Nitto Technomic 280mm with 70mm reach
-Tires 700x28 Ruffy Tuffy
-700c wheelset 36hole Mavic A319 wheelset Shimano Tiagra hubs (130 rear spacing)
-VO grand cru seat post
-Brooks b17 saddle - blue
-Bar wrap - Cinelli - blue gel cork
-pedals -MKS RMX Sneaker Pedals

Also included:
-Riv saddlesack xtra small grey
-2 king iris bottle cages

NOT included but pictured in some of the photos:
-Frame pump
-Kleen kanteen bottle
-SKS fenders
-rear blinky light
-American flag

Happy to answer questions.
Thanks,
Erl

Tony DeFilippo

Sep 19, 2016, 10:15:31 AM9/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've seen this bike in person, it's a beaut!  Just getting a frame with 'RIVENDELL' boldly lettered on the down tube is a darn good excuse to buy.  Good thing for me it's way to small.

Erl - I guess this means my suggestion of mounting the frame in you living room as sculpture/art didn't fly?!? :)

Patrick Moore

Sep 19, 2016, 10:26:20 AM9/19/16
to rbw-owners-bunch
Ow, slam dat stem!!! Otherwise, nice bike and good price.

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a circumference on the contours of which all conditions, distinctions, and individualities revolve. Chuang Tzu

Stat crux dum volvitur orbis. (The cross stands motionless while the world revolves.) Carthusian motto

It is we who change; He remains the same. Eckhart

Kinei hos eromenon. (It moves [all things] as the beloved.) Aristotle

Tony DeFilippo

Sep 19, 2016, 10:28:53 AM9/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Patrick all you have to do to slam the stem is buy the bike! :)

Patrick Moore

Sep 19, 2016, 10:37:10 AM9/19/16
to rbw-owners-bunch
Too small, alas ... (except for the stem).

Patrick Moore, who only Saturday cut down the quill of a Tech Deluxe to shorter-than-Pearl length, with perfect success and dazzling results.

Erl: you might get more bites if you set up the cockpit in a more conventional fashion. I am not at all saying that someone shouldn't set his stem up that way -- if it works, do it. But it certainly is unconventional and might put buyers off, which would be a pity because it's a very nice bike at a good price.

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 8:28 AM, Tony DeFilippo <vpi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Patrick all you have to do to slam the stem is buy the bike! :)

WETH

Sep 19, 2016, 12:15:45 PM9/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Tony,
Thanks for sharing your fist hand knowledge. I still like your idea, still working on my wife. If, or until, it sells I might just hang it on the wall as the lovely work of art it is!

WETH

Sep 19, 2016, 12:17:19 PM9/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Patrick,
Thanks for the advice.
Erl

Hugh Smitham

Sep 20, 2016, 1:59:54 AM9/20/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Wow! I've always admired this bike Erl. Is it just too small for you? I presume so. Such a gorgeous paint and great build.

I'd second Patrick's advice.

~Hugh

WETH

Sep 20, 2016, 9:27:32 PM9/20/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hugh, it is great to hear from you. Thanks for your thoughts. The bike is a bit small, i suppose. I stumbled into my Romulus resurrection project shortly after building this bike up. The Romulus with albatross bars fits me so well, I ride it exclusively and see it as my permanent bike for lightly loaded riding. That was the niche the Riv Road was going to have. I am also hard on my gear and the Road Standard is beautiful-almost too much so for me. A bike should be ridden, so it is for sale. If there's no interest, I am sure it will find its way back into my rotation at some point.
Hope all is well with you.
Erl

Hugh Smitham

Sep 21, 2016, 1:50:07 AM9/21/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Erl,

I'm sure it'll sell. What a lucky individual whom ever get's this one. It's a bit small for me otherwise I might have been tempted. I'm in the process of building up a Trek 520 for a friend, once that's complete I'm back to work on my Hilsen. Gonna add some Albatross bar's and make it a gentleman's cruiser.

Warm Regards,

~Hugh

WETH

Feb 20, 2017, 4:12:06 PM2/20/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bump. Still available.
On advice, I have attached photo with bars at a more tradional height.
All the best,
Erl
IMG_6228.JPG

islaysteve

Feb 20, 2017, 5:29:18 PM2/20/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I second Tony's statement that getting a frame with "Rivendell" on the down tube is worth a great deal! And, as if anyone needs anymore convincing, I too have seen this bike in person and can attest to its gorgeousness.  Erl does excellent builds.  Good luck Erl, I know  you are enjoying this weather!  Steve

John Hawrylak

Feb 20, 2017, 6:10:40 PM2/20/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
what is the Stand Over Height?  Apologized if I missed it.

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ

WETH

Feb 20, 2017, 7:33:08 PM2/20/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
John,
Stand over height is a bit less than 82cm with the Ruffy Tuffy's.
Erl

John Hawrylak

Feb 21, 2017, 7:03:47 PM2/21/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks, Too Tall, 80.6cm PBH.

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ

WETH

Feb 22, 2017, 8:26:58 AM2/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
John, thanks for the interest. Hopefully you'll find one in your size.
Steve, thanks for your kind words.
All the best,
Erl

Ryan Fleming

Feb 22, 2017, 11:24:09 AM2/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
that is a very unique bike...I do love the paint job. Funny, actually 56cm is the size of my Riv road....but one road bike is enough. Good luck with the sale

WETH

Mar 23, 2017, 2:57:17 PM3/23/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
This bike is no longer for sale!

While browsing the Rivendell website, I realized the Albastache bars might work well on this bike! So I bought one.

Then my devious/deviant mind wondered how the bars would work mounted upside down. (Patrick Moore knows how much I like my bars high up!) The inverted bars paired with a dirt drop stem are awesome on this bike! I think I will add a rack & fenders and commute on it. The ride is both stable and nimble-a delight! I have fallen in love again with this beautiful bicycle!

I thank everyone for their interest.

Safe cycling,
Erl

On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 6:17:14 AM UTC-4, WETH wrote:

IMG_6420.JPG

Patrick Moore

Mar 23, 2017, 3:33:01 PM3/23/17
to rbw-owners-bunch
Slam that stem! I'll be very interested to hear how your RR fits and feels with a sweep-back bar. I do have to say that the drop bar in the photo is just, simply, too high; it's not right. A "tourist" bar, as they used to call upright and swept back bars back when I was a youngster (the old man paused to sniffle into his beard) seems to me to make much, much more sense.

And I like the 650B idea. How fat a 650B tire could this bike take? This RR with Compass EL 38s and fenders and a nice North Road-type bar: hell, I'd ride that!

Homework: Estimate to nearest mm the length separating the distance between ground and top of stem clamp on Erl's RR and the ditto on this one.

Inline image 1

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a circumference on the contours of which all conditions, distinctions, and individualities revolve. Chuang Tzu

Stat crux dum volvitur orbis. (The cross stands motionless while the world revolves.) Carthusian motto

It is we who change; He remains the same. Eckhart

Kinei hos eromenon. (It moves [all things] as the beloved.) Aristotle

Le sacre est la projection du Centre celeste dans la peripherie cosmique, ou du "Moteur immobile" dans le flux des choses. F Schuon, Le Sens du Sacre, Etudes Traditionnelles, 1r q 1979

Ryan Fleming

Mar 23, 2017, 4:07:46 PM3/23/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm glad  you made it work! That is such an elegant  and unique color scheme and it is a beauty...wonder if Choco-norms would have worked too. Anyway I'm glad you found a way to keep what is a very special bike

Tony DeFilippo

Mar 23, 2017, 4:29:32 PM3/23/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

Bravo! Love the look of the reversed Alba.

tc

Jan 9, 2018, 10:01:01 AM1/9/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Erl,
I know it's an old thread -- but curious about the inverted Albastache bars.  Have you continued with this setup?  Have you tried them in the 'intended' position and found it to be better/worse?  If so, in what ways?  Neat idea...I'm surprised more haven't tried and written about it.  The drop/rise is so slight it almost begs to be compared!

Tom

On Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 2:57:17 PM UTC-4, WETH wrote:
...Then my devious/deviant mind wondered how the bars would work mounted upside down.

WETH

Jan 10, 2018, 9:34:50 PM1/10/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Tom,

Thanks for asking.

Yes, I still run the inverted albastache bars. They work well on this frame which is too small for me. Sorry I haven't tried them the normal way, yet. I still don't ride the bike as much as I feel I should. I should sell it to someone who would use it more, but it is such a beautiful frame.

I am also considering trying the inverted albastache bars on my Cheviot in place of albatross bars. I ride a great deal with my hands on the curves. I installed Dia Compe levers that follow the bar's curve and give me quick access to the brakes. https://flic.kr/p/MX1Vwv However there is much lateral play in the levers which I don't like. So I am considering the albastaches with road brake levers. Maybe when I do my spring tune up. I find fun in experimentation!

All the best,
Erl