26x1.75-2" tire recommendations

drew

Aug 17, 2016, 8:15:03 PM8/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I got used to having bikes with real big clearances and overestimated my capability on this 84 trek 890 I'm working on. 2.1 knobby tires are rubbing a bit (measure 2.5 at the knobs)

This bike is going to be used on mostly on pavement and fire roads, no crazy trails or extreme mud. My wife is pretty cautious.

Calipers say I have 56mm clearance at the tightest spot, and I'd like to go as big as possible. I guess that means something like a 1.75 with knobs, or a 2.0 slick that maybe measures a bit smaller.

Puncture protection and longevity > suppleness

Seems like there are a lot of really low end hybrid type tires that fit this bill but not sure if any are worth the time.

Ideas?

WETH

Aug 17, 2016, 10:26:54 PM8/17/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Drew,
I ran Big Apples on my Surly LHT for several years. They handled pavement and dirt/gravel trails quite well. I road the entire GAP Trail and C&O Canal with them as well as daily commutes on paved roads. My wife still runs them on her LHT. I highly recommend them: https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=4787

I also ran Compas 26x1.75 tires on my Atlantis and enjoyed them, too.

I'm sure others will share more options.
All the best,
Erl

Ginz

Aug 18, 2016, 12:04:51 AM8/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Schwalbe Marathon 1.75s. Not the lightest but last a long time and not too pricey.

Michael Morrissey

Aug 18, 2016, 12:25:28 AM8/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have a 1984 Trek 830, which is undoubtedly similar.  I currently have Schwalbe Fat Franks of the "creme" colorway in the 2.35" widthway (with fenders).  For a while, believe it or not, I had Maxxis Hookworm 2.5" tires on there too - with fenders!  The rims were kind of skinny, though.  When I wear out these tires I'll go a little skinnier - probably 2.0" Schwalbes.  I think Schwalbe has the best in the business puncture protection and longevity.  I ride through broken glass in Harlem NYC every day and have not had a flat in over a year (knock on wood).

My local bike shop just showed me a demo loop of cut up Schwalbes.  I suggest you consult that before getting a new pair.

Here's a nice picture and writeup about my Trek:
http://thedayweneverwenthome.blogspot.com/2016/06/trash-bike-year-3.html

Michael

drew

Aug 18, 2016, 1:32:46 AM8/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
That's a great 830. I also have an 85' 870 with 2.5 tires and room to spare. I didn't even check the 890 before getting the tires because of this, but it's a significantly tighter squeeze. The fork crown is about a half an inch narrower, and same thing for the chainstays.

Still, a really cool bike. My wife is 5'2 about 100lbs and not gonna go crazy on dirt, so the narrower tires should be ok.

Philip Kim

Aug 18, 2016, 10:29:45 AM8/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
WTB All terrain 1.95, big bens come in 2.00. of course there are the rat traps...

Michael Morrissey

Aug 18, 2016, 11:16:33 AM8/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Post pictures of the 1985 870!  I want to see it!  It's great how the vintage Treks are the gateway drug to Rivendell ownership.

Michael Morrissey

Aug 18, 2016, 11:18:28 AM8/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've also been wondering if slightly skinnier tires were the course of action (1.5" or 1.75"), could you run nice Honjo 650b fenders on the old Trek?

drew

Aug 18, 2016, 1:13:09 PM8/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here is the post I made about the 870 a while back. i could probably run a 1.75 slick and get a fender in the 890......hmmm

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!searchin/rbw-owners-bunch/Trek$20870/rbw-owners-bunch/Uz3jlulBqok

David Banzer

Aug 18, 2016, 3:07:31 PM8/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I briefly had a too-small-for-me Trek 890. They're really cool frames, but they're definitely not a mountain bike. 72.5/73 degree seat/head angles on the 21"-or-so frame. Trek grouped them together based on wheel size and called 26"-wheeled bikes 'all-terrain.' They're really more a touring/road bike that happens to take 26" wheels. I think they came with 1.75" tires or something smaller maybe, and really weren't intended for big tires.
To your question, I'd go with 1.75" Paselas.

Eamon Nordquist

Aug 18, 2016, 6:22:19 PM8/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
FWIW, I'm currently running 1.75" Paselas and VO fluted 650b fenders on my '87 Trek Antelope (can't remember if it's an 830, or 850).  I did have to spread the fenders a little to get the radius right, but I still have TONS of clearance with a perfect fender line.  I'd love to try Rat Traps, but I don't think the VO fenders are wide enough (I think after spreading them, they are 54mm).

Eamon

drew

Aug 18, 2016, 8:41:50 PM8/18/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here is the 890. Funkily out of proportion with the big boscos. Hoping some bigger tires even it out
image.jpeg

Philip Kim

Aug 19, 2016, 7:45:46 AM8/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Are those the 54 bodies or 58s?

Rod Holland

Aug 19, 2016, 10:49:33 AM8/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I ran Compass 26 x 1.75 tires on my Surly Trucker DeLuxe for 1400 miles, until the Rat Traps became available. I liked them fine: cushy and quick, game for the gamut of surfaces I rode them on, although for the really rough stuff, I found myself wanting either wider tires or more skill (hence the switch to Rat Traps). Think of them as Paselas with more supple casings. Lots of laughs. Here's a ride report, putting these tires through their paces in the Vermont hills last year.

rod

JohnS

Aug 19, 2016, 12:48:37 PM8/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm very happy with the Schwalbe Big Ben tires from Riv that I have on my '82 Stump Jumper. Maybe tight at 26 x 2.15 for your frame. Long wearing, no flats, good on the road and rail trails, a little expensive at $45 each but for me have been worth it.

JohnS

Mark in Beacon

Aug 19, 2016, 5:17:44 PM8/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Based on a recommendation by Jimmy L., I have been happy with the Tioga Power Blocks on my tandem the last couple months. Good on gravel & dirt as well as pavement. They are advertised as 2.1" but are not knobby and I have them on slightly undersized rims. Will measure when I get home.

Mark in Beacon

Aug 19, 2016, 8:42:04 PM8/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Powerblocks come in at exactly 50mm on Araya RM 17 rims (1.97). Don't know the specs on these rims but the R17s appear a bit on the narrow side for 26" wheels. Might be a bit close for comfort if you only have 56mm clearance.

drew

Aug 19, 2016, 10:38:14 PM8/19/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks all. I'm putting these on some fairly wide rims, so it seems like 1.75 may be the safest bet and give me a fender option.

And the bars are 54cm

true

Aug 20, 2016, 10:57:16 AM8/20/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I bought a pair or the Tioga Power Blocks on sale
and have only done around 4 rides on them and am very pleased.

I also have Compass Rat Traps and Maxxis DTH tires on other 26" bikes.

I give the edge to the Rat Traps but cannot justify price on all my 26" bikes but
after riding the Power Blocks a bit don't think I am giving up all that much for the economies
realized.
They are folding tires, feel pretty supple and roll nicely.

The Maxxis DTH have also proven to be a very nice folding, smooth rolling, fairly supple tire
and I give 3rd position to them from my experiences
over various 26" tires I have tried. I guesstimate I have 1200 miles or more on them
and they are wearing great, and only one flat I recall. The DTH have proven to be very durable to this point.
I sure hope the Power Blocks prove durable as well.
 If so I will be ordering another pair.
From recall both these and the DTH come in at about 550 g's
and are in the $35 per tire price range.

The Rat Traps have maybe 500 to 600 miles on them and are superior, I think,
 so supple and seemingly fast rolling from my experience.
They are somewhat lighter than the Power Blocks and DTH tires
but also seem more sensitive to air pressure with my 215 lb heft over the other two brands.
I have had 3 or 4 flats on them.  I would love to try them tubeless.

Safe pedaling,

Paul C in Dallas

Robert Liebermann

Aug 22, 2016, 3:12:11 PM8/22/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
On tires (and so forth)  - Schwalbe marathons again - they've become my standard tire/tyre (depending on cycle) like MKS Sylvans are my standard pedal - on everything. Most recently put them on my 82 Stumpjumper resto.

The Marathons, apart from being very confusing in variety of tires with the same name, are well made, heavy (extra exercise, tougher!), wear forever, and have the zillion-mile reflective sidewall (use a tarp if camping and want to stay hidden; I suggest  Etowah, made in Missouri - http://www.etowahoutfittersultralightbackpackinggear.com/backpacking-tarps.html ).

OK, another chance for me to say how GREAT the 84 Trek 830 (and 850) are, the geometry and long chainstays are perfect, plus 501 was an underrated and just cool Reynolds tubeset. Good to know a few others also realize this - they're gems. Can you tell it's my favorite bike? Mine: http://rjl.us/velo/trek830-1.htm (also a little bit about my tires there).

And if anybody's interested, the Stanforth Kibo is a new frame/bike very like my 830 in geometry, made in England by Lee Cooper (who has a nice section in the "Made in England" book about English framebuilders). I'm about to zap the $$/£0£ over for one (frameset) today! http://www.stanforthbikes.co.uk/
Looks like the cost incl. shipping is £840, so extremely reasonable, esp. considering the builder (and design). They've got great 'reviews', worth a look. I'm not connected other than I think it's a great frame and Mr. Stanforth is a cool guy doing a good thing (Cooper also).