Care to share experiences converting to SS using White Industries ENO Eccentric?

tc

Dec 15, 2017, 8:49:11 PM12/15/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
62cm Quickbeams and SimpleOnes are rarer than unicorns, so looking at options, like going the Eccentric ENO route with a Roadini, or a(nother) Sam.

Deacon Patrick

Dec 15, 2017, 9:23:07 PM12/15/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Not experience, but the things I learned and was considering before rejecting the Eno because I’m an ogre and it would have gone on my bikepacking/hauling rig and I prefer the solution of Quickbeam style dropouts on my Hunqabeam are:

— it is eccentric in 360˚, so if tire clearence is a concern, know that may be more limited with the Eno
— It is an ellegant solution with an intended use of more mild terrain/weight hauling than I needed
— Search MTBr.com forums for a lot of suggestions on the details of adjusting it easily and reviews. A lot of guys riding it SS MTB who love it.
— It is more elegant/quiet than a chain tensioner (how much will vary).
— I might have been fine going with it, but I wouldn’t have had the gear range I want without carrying a separate chain and I like that when I talked with Phil Woods about the Kiss Off hub (which I’m likely springing for) he got excited because that is what that hub is built for (it’s not eccentric). I like it when a manufacture says to beat their stuff up, it’s built for it. Grin.
— Phil Wood’s eccentric bottom bracket fits standard BB shells, is bomb proof, but requires 1-piece crank/single chainring (no bolt on chainring).

With abandon,
Patrick

tc

Dec 15, 2017, 9:47:14 PM12/15/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Gotcha - thanks.  I have an Ogre (the Surly kind) for heavy duty stuff...so my SS will be for knocking around, Greenway rides, etc.  Will certainly take a look at the Phil SS hub offerings.

Patrick Moore

Dec 15, 2017, 10:33:11 PM12/15/17
to rbw-owners-bunch
I'ved owned 2, and used one on a commuter, the other off road. Both worked well, but the hub does have shortcomings. First, I could barely get a 2 tooth difference. 2nd, the hub moves the axle and rim in a circular arc, which means that if you do manage to get it to work with cogs of slightly different sizes, this means that rear brake pad positioning is problematical -- I simply got rid of the rear brake, as my cogs were fixed. 3d, this same axle movement means that in the "gravity natural" position, the weight of the bike tends to rotate the tire closer to the brake bridge and reduces fender clearance; I recall one morning riding in 2-3" of snow, getting snow packed tight between the 32 mm Pasela and the top of the fender, and having to stop and pry it out.

It's a rather elegant solution to ss with verticals, but it is not a perfect solution.

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, New Mexico, Etats Unis d'Amerique
Auditis an me ludit amabilis insania?

Eric Daume

Dec 16, 2017, 5:44:56 AM12/16/17
to rbw-owners-bunch
I agree with pretty much everything Patrick M says. I had an ENO eccentric hub on my Gunnar Crosshairs many years ago. It worked well enough, pretty clever, but it had definite limitations in gearing accommodation and tire clearance. Eventually, I sold the Gunnar, bought a Surly Cross Check (with long forward facing dropouts!), de-eccentricized my ENO hub, and found that a better solution. And later, the CC morphed into a Black Mountain Monstercross, and that was better still.

So my $0.02 is that if you want to try single speed on a current frame, just a use a tensioner. If you want to try fixed gear, try for a "magic gear" combo, buy an old sport touring bike, or just bite the bullet and get a BMC Monstercross. It has 90-110% of the goodness of the QB, is readily available, and won't cost much more than a new ENO wheel.

Eric

blakcloud

Dec 16, 2017, 7:32:37 AM12/16/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I had one for years with nary of a problem. It worked as advertised and nothing more. If I wanted single speed and the frame had vertical dropouts I would use it again. I also have used the Surly Singlulator and while it works, the aesthetics of the bike were not to my liking.

Kellie

Dec 16, 2017, 10:17:58 AM12/16/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Built a single-speed a few years ago. A dream to set up and and still going. Looks cool too.

Jim M.

Dec 16, 2017, 11:41:16 AM12/16/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've used both the ENO eccentric hub and the Philcentric BB. My experience has been good with both. For ss freewheeling, the cheaper option is to use a tensioner like the Soulcraft Convert: http://www.soulcraftbikes.com/convert.php  But for a fixed conversion, eccentricity makes it easier than trying to find a magic gear.

I'm 240 pounds and have had one experience with ENO slippage, though it may have been that I didn't tighten the bolts enough. I currently use the ENO for a fixed road conversion and have had no slippage problems. For mountain biking I've used the Philcentric on a couple of bikes. The Philcentric won't slip because it locks in place. The Philcentric is an outboard bearing bb and you need a crank like a Shimano Hollowtech. As you can see, you can change the chainring if needed.
Image result for shimano hollowtech crank

Auto Generated Inline Image 1

Patrick Moore

Dec 16, 2017, 12:55:59 PM12/16/17
to rbw-owners-bunch
That Philcentric looks interesting; I've never seen it before. But I expect that the Q for any external bearing crank is wider than for what you can find in a square tape system? I'd be happy to be corrected. I know that the Q for the one mtb triple with external bearings was 173, and research indicated similar widths for others of the type.

Jim M.

Dec 16, 2017, 3:05:40 PM12/16/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Saturday, December 16, 2017 at 9:55:59 AM UTC-8, Patrick Moore wrote:
That Philcentric looks interesting; I've never seen it before. But I expect that the Q for any external bearing crank is wider than for what you can find in a square tape system? I'd be happy to be corrected. I know that the Q for the one mtb triple with external bearings was 173, and research indicated similar widths for others of the type.

I'm fortunate to not be bothered by wide Q, so I never measured with the Phil. A Hollowtech XT crank and bb have a 158 Q according to Shimano.

Justin, Oakland

Dec 16, 2017, 3:09:52 PM12/16/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
White Industries R30 which should work with the Philcentric I think has a Q factor of 157.2mm.
https://www.whiteind.com/r30

-J

Patrick Moore

Dec 16, 2017, 3:23:59 PM12/16/17
to rbw-owners-bunch
Jim and Justin: Thanks; that's a wee bit lower than the 160 mm of the old Logic with 130 mm bb -- tho' I could get by with a 128/127.5. Not bad! Must keep that in mind for for future options.

Jim M said:  A Hollowtech XT crank and bb have a 158 Q according to Shimano.

Justin said: White Industries R30 which should work with the Philcentric I think has a Q factor of 157.2mm.
https://www.whiteind.com/r30