Anyone try the new Fairweather Rain Poncho?

Bob B

Aug 7, 2017, 3:43:22 PM8/7/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

Has anyone tried the Fairweather rain poncho? It looks pretty good; I'm particularly interested in the elastic band that will fit snugly over Alba's AND a Wald basket!

Which would be awesome, because my Vaude poncho barely covers my bars and often blows up out of place (it has no elastic).

Anyway, been doing more rain riding lately and was considering springing for this, and an endorsement from someone on the list would probably cause me to buy it.

Link: https://global.bluelug.com/fairweather-packable-rain-poncho-navy.html

Bob B

Mar 17, 2018, 12:24:03 PM3/17/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Blue Lug just restocked these and I thought I'd ask again to see if anyone's tried one!

Bob B.
Brooklyn, NY

William!

Mar 18, 2018, 6:30:12 PM3/18/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
A hundred and forty dollars for a poncho that seems a little –

wait, did you say OVER the basket? **gets credit card**

Jon BALER

Mar 19, 2018, 9:54:10 AM3/19/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
My vaude covers my handlebar, which is good enough for me.  My basket bag is waterproof, so don't really need that feature.  I did mod my Vaude by attaching a shock cord and carrabiner in the rear to attach to my seat rail, which keeps it from riding up my back.

At 6'4", I doubt the size large would be big enough to cover me and my basket, so easy decision for me to pass.  ;)

Jon
Ellicott City, MD

jandrews_nyc

Mar 19, 2018, 10:09:57 AM3/19/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
That actually looks sort of terrifying.  I can imagine having control issues with a loaded basket getting pulled by the poncho material in emergency steering situations in the city.  Even with plenty of material, it seems suspect.

Jason

Ron Mc

Mar 19, 2018, 10:19:23 AM3/19/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I must have the same Vaude poncho as Jon, and while I've only needed it a couple of times caught in monsoon rain, it works great

Rob Bolesta

Mar 19, 2018, 12:00:27 PM3/19/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Which Vaude do you guys have? I like my Vaude Valdipino for light rains but mine barely covers the bars (bosco bars) but has no elastic or anything to keep it there, so with the wind blowing around it often flips or slides up. I've tried using clothes pins to clamp it to the brake cables, but that's a pain in the butt and the poncho is then crooked and doesn't shed the rain as well.

My Sackville basket bag does great unless the rain is very heavy, at which times the rain shedding off the vaude dumps directly down onto it, and the water eventually soaks through. In those cases flipping it over the basket would seem good, but I hear Jason about the steering situations. Though I tend to ride cautiously, and even more cautiously during rain...

Still on the fence about this thing but maybe I'll have to be the guinea pig. Being able to ride every day no matter the weather is pretty important to me so the investment seems worth it...

Bob B
Brooklyn, NY

Jon Schultz

Mar 19, 2018, 12:34:17 PM3/19/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have VAUDE Valdipino Raincoat, Blue, Large, and I'm 6'4" and 225 lbs.   Mine has elastic loops in the front for wrists, but I typically hook them over the brake hoods to keep the bar covered.  I've also attached them to the bars with velcro loops when riding choco bars/mountain levers.

And the rear modification is key to keep it from riding it up in the rear, though a larger size mitigate the need for this (Modification: attached a shock cord and carrabiner in the rear to attach to my seat rail).

On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 8:54:10 AM UTC-5, Jon BALER wrote:
My vaude covers my handlebar, which is good enough for me.  My basket bag is waterproof, so don't really need that feature.  I did mod my Vaude by attaching a shock cord and carrabiner in the rear to attach to my seat rail, which keeps it from riding up my back.

At 6'4", I doubt the size large would be big enough to cover me and my basket, so easy decision for me to pass.  ;)

Jon
Ellicott City, MD

Ron Mc

Mar 19, 2018, 12:58:14 PM3/19/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Valdipino - my daughter and I were caught together in a monsoon one day and each had them - they were perfect.
In lighter rain, I can certainly live without them, and will either wear the lightest shell or go wet.
One thought about vented helmets - the run-off through your helmet and hair can temporarily blind you, but a Halo sweat band has a runoff channel that keeps your eyes seeing fine and not burning in the heaviest rain.
I carry the Halo sweatband on every bike.