New Build Complete: Saluki

Kellie

May 9, 2015, 11:03:30 PM5/9/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Took a few months, but finally done.

Fullylugged

May 10, 2015, 6:44:19 AM5/10/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Turned out very nicely! Ride reports wanted of course!  And happy Mother's Day.

Michael Hechmer

May 10, 2015, 6:53:24 AM5/10/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Sweet. You will find your Saluki rides as good as it look.  But it does look rather cloudy where you are.  Perhaps a nice pair of VO Al. fenders are in order?  When the checkbook approves, of course.

Michael

Kellie

May 10, 2015, 10:27:00 AM5/10/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much Bruce.

Kellie

May 10, 2015, 10:35:08 AM5/10/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Cloudy=San Francisco in the summer. We're in a drought here. I wouldn't of needed fenders this past winter (but I hope I do the next one). I'm contemplating fenders. Why may I ask VO?

Deacon Patrick

May 10, 2015, 10:45:49 AM5/10/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Wonderful build! Great bag! And it fits!

With abandon,
Patrick

Lungimsam

May 10, 2015, 12:31:59 PM5/10/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Nice bike! I like that cable tube for the rear brake. Very unique.
Where are the shifters? I am guessing thumb shifters on the bar tops?

Kellie

May 10, 2015, 12:37:49 PM5/10/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Yea, I put the bar-ends in Paul thumbies. I tried the bar-ends when I had a Hillborne and I just didn't like the shifters there.

Michael Hechmer

May 10, 2015, 6:06:04 PM5/10/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Having used plastic, steel, & Aluminum fenders I much prefer Aluminum and the VO seem to be a good value vs the Honjos, which are great fenders.  I guess in SF, clouds bring hope.

It's been at least two weeks without rain here in VT and people are starting to complain about the dry weather.

Michael

Justin August

May 10, 2015, 6:27:42 PM5/10/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yeah here in the Bay Area fenders are more for show than function currently. Maybe if you're doing some longer brevets they make sense.

-J

Patrick Moore

May 10, 2015, 7:08:37 PM5/10/15
to rbw-owners-bunch
Curious: why aluminum versus good steel ones? My 650B X 40 or 45 Berthouds weigh 1 1/2 lb complete, about 6-8 oz more than the Aluminum Honjos in about the same size -- actually, IIRC, 559 X 50. But the Berthouds are stronger, I think, and IMO look as good.

I think your Vermont rain was shipped to Albuquerque. Wet, with nice, long, soaking rains and not 10 minute biblical deluges. The Westside will prolly break 6" this year!

Patrick Moore, who finally installed the Berthouds in December or so.

RoadieRyan

May 10, 2015, 11:44:50 PM5/10/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
sweet build

Kellie

May 11, 2015, 9:46:37 PM5/11/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
thanks…….

Ginz

May 14, 2015, 1:44:24 PM5/14/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Very nice ride. Saluki is one bike I wish I had purchased way back when.

I recall their being a batch of "centerpull only" Salukis, or at least a discussion of it.  Am I remembering correctly?  What's happened to all of those??

Kellie

May 14, 2015, 2:01:40 PM5/14/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I am certainly not an expert on Rivendell history. I've been told some Saluki's were centerpull (and I'm very happy to have a canti). I do know the Saluki was predessor to the A. Homer Hilsen.

Ryan Fleming

May 14, 2015, 2:35:43 PM5/14/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Your Saluki's a beauty, and I think the thumbshifters on the bar tops is genius. On my Riv road I have the dream bars with barend  silver shifters and...I have to say...even with my bars level with the saddle  that reach down is a bit of a pain. Could be solved with bars with a shallower drop , I suppose but the thumbies are an  elegant solution. I'm a big fan of those TRP racing levers too...they are just dreamy. Paul thumbies...eh...I like it

Anyway, top-notch build....enjoy!

Kellie

May 14, 2015, 4:40:00 PM5/14/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ryan. First time with the Paul Thumbies and the report about them is extrely positive. Very convenient and placd close to the stem still plenty of hand positions available. I LOVE the TRP levers!