Nitto Albastache bars

Carla Waugh

Sep 13, 2016, 6:45:51 PM9/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hello if anyone has a bicycle set up with these bars would you please put a picture up. I ordered some I just want to see different setups in bar tape or not. Thanks

Bill Lindsay

Sep 13, 2016, 6:49:43 PM9/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

Chris Birkenmaier

Sep 13, 2016, 7:30:31 PM9/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I also don't have photos available for posting but I fitted the bars in a 1986 pinarello montello bike in the green cloth tape. To be honest it is ok but not my favorite bar. I do love the looks for what that is worth

drew

Sep 13, 2016, 8:28:11 PM9/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here are mine. I have cork tape under the cloth on the swept back part. Love the bars, love the looks.
(I did this thru my phone and am not sure the pics are gonna work)

On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 3:45:51 PM UTC-7, Carla Waugh wrote:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Chris Birkenmaier

Sep 13, 2016, 8:39:48 PM9/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Forgot to mention that I also have cork wrap,under the cloth tape. That gives it a nicely padded feel without being overly bulky

Daniel Jackson

Sep 13, 2016, 9:50:33 PM9/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
So Drew has got it figured out , in my opinion. I, too, have the albastaches setup with these levers. The trick is to put the levers on the side opposite for which they are labeled, thus positioning their elegant curve downward. It works so dang well and I thought I was the only one who figured this out...

Pic here:

Surlyprof

Sep 13, 2016, 9:55:58 PM9/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/129545862@N03/29510899771/
Here's my current set up. Lights are underneath on Paul Gino mounts connected to the rack. Love the setup and can't say enough good things about the Brooks leather tape. This roll has been on 3 bikes in the past 8 years. Would be hesitant to go for the colors since I've seen some that faded in the sun.

John

Carla Waugh

Sep 13, 2016, 10:02:32 PM9/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for the great pics! Which levers are you both using? Thanks

drew

Sep 13, 2016, 10:10:17 PM9/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hahaha crap. I thought I was the only one too. It does work really well flipped.

They are the trp levers, and they are awkward used right side up on these bars, but they are awesome upside down.

2 of us agree on this fact

MannyAcosta

Sep 13, 2016, 11:47:33 PM9/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

Ryan Fleming

Sep 14, 2016, 11:10:53 AM9/14/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think they look good...the TRP levers, I mean....I love them on drop bars too

Surlyprof

Sep 14, 2016, 11:52:21 AM9/14/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I wish I'd bought the trp levers. They talked me into the the cheaper tiagras back when I was buying my set up at Riv. They said that the trp's angle didn't work well with albastache. I may spring for the trps eventually and reverse them as you did. Those gum rubber hoods look fantastic.

John

Austin ^

Sep 14, 2016, 9:54:09 PM9/14/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've got albastaches on a cheviot and I like them a lot. I previously had albatross bars on and I feel like the albastache allows for a slightly more aggressive position than the 'tross which is a nice tweak on an otherwise very laid back bike. I'm running the reverse tekros on the ends with dura ace shifters mounted on paul thumbies, for something a little different. Keeps things more upright than a road lever out front.

On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 3:45:51 PM UTC-7, Carla Waugh wrote:
29687329285_0c623cc77b_k.jpg

Kai Vierstra

Sep 15, 2016, 1:51:20 PM9/15/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Great bars, and were so perfect on the Quickbeam.
I just switched out for Bullmooses, which are not quite as good for climbing as the Albastache, but, particularly for locking up in the city and being able to run a cable through, have that great triangle of neverslippingness.
And, no matter what colors you've got (they all turn brown), raw cotton "harlequin" wrapped bars are the best for grip and longevity (true).
-Kai Vierstra
Brooklyn NY
20160915_133355-1.jpg

Carla Waugh

Sep 20, 2016, 9:07:52 PM9/20/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for all the help. I installed the bars and will ride them as suggested with my gloves until I find hand position and brake lever position that I like. Then on to the wrap! Thanks

drew

Sep 20, 2016, 9:37:49 PM9/20/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Not to hijack, but this has made me want to put another set on a bike. If you have one, let me know!