Aging and Exercise

Addison Wilhite

Jun 21, 2017, 10:08:18 AM6/21/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Given the interest in cycling and aging amongst this group I thought this story/study might be of interest:

Best,

Addison Wilhite, M.A.

Academy of Arts, Careers and Technology

“Blazing the Trail to College and Career Success”

Educator: Professional Portfolio

Blogger: Reno Rambler

islaysteve

Jun 22, 2017, 9:38:57 AM6/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is very interesting to me as I fall into the age category studied, and my exercise level of right now could be classified as "sedentary."  For those of you who have not read the article, one conclusion is that the "interval" training described seemed to be the most beneficial for our age group.  Since I have a bike set up on the trainer in the basement, I can implement that plan immediately.  That type of training could of course also be done during an actual bike ride, even if it does go against "just ride" ; ).  Something to think about.
Cheers, Steve

Deacon Patrick

Jun 22, 2017, 2:19:13 PM6/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I haven't looked at this study in particular but something I've noticed is common with many exercise studies is they test sedentary subjects over a fairly short time period. Interval training emerges at the top every time and seems attractive because it is short/intense. But the few studies that I've seen that examine aerobic exercise (aka, what everyone did before mechanical engines) show it is foundational to good health. Combined with interval training, it most closely matches how humans have lived for hundreds of thousands of years. What isn't good for us is chronic cardio (racing everywhere).

With abandon,
Patrick

ascpgh

Jun 22, 2017, 10:51:29 PM6/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I noted the same about the study when I first saw that article. Moderation beneficial in most things.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

Chris Birkenmaier

Jun 23, 2017, 10:21:49 AM6/23/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
+1 for Deacon Patrick's comments.  My own (not exhaustive) research has supported this conclusion.

Ash A

Jun 23, 2017, 12:16:14 PM6/23/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Related, interval training is what GP advocates in "Eat Bacon Don't Jog"

There a few fun (and every effective) exercises in the book.

Lee Legrand

Jun 27, 2017, 10:55:40 AM6/27/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

I tend to think both are beneficial and should be part of a healthy lifestyle.  I am a firm believer in strength training because having muscle becomes more important as you age since testosterone decrease and we tend to lose muscle starting at age 30, without exercising.  Lifting weights ensures that we can be active longer and be able to live a independent life down the road and ward of problems like obesity, fatigue, diabetes etc.   In fact, when done correctly, you can achieve the health benefits of interval training with weight training.  I cant find a reliable source on the internet but if you do some digging, look up Arthur Jones and West Point academy in which he put young cadets thru an experiment in which he compare weight training cadets thru a circuit group and and those who did traditional cardio.  Those who did the circuit improved as much and more than those who did the cardio in cardiovascular health.  He did not call it interval training but when you are moving from one machine to the next, working intensely, you are essentially doing interval like training. So one could incorporate a interval training in cardio like exercises or in weight training or do them separately but I do think strength training and interval training has to be part of it.