2017 Redlands Strada Rossa

cyclotourist

Sep 10, 2016, 2:02:18 AM9/10/16
to socalall...@googlegroups.com, RBW Owners Bunch
Calendared it for March 18th!

Hope to see some familiar faces this spring!

--
Cheers,
David

Member, Supreme Council of Cyberspace

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal

dougP

Sep 10, 2016, 4:42:01 AM9/10/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Excellent event, great post event party. Plenty of options. '17 will be year 4, right?

Doug p

cyclot...@gmail.com

Sep 12, 2016, 11:12:45 AM9/12/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Fourth year... We're no longer toddlers! RSR is a fun, challenging, exhausting, and amazing event. It partly developed from some of the SoCal Riv Rides that happen occasionally. The idea is to put chunks of dirt together with nice on-road connectors. 100km/62 miles to make it challenging, but doable without super-athletic training. Need a bike that can go anywhere. Self-paced. Sound like anyone you know???

René Sterental

Sep 12, 2016, 3:52:17 PM9/12/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Is it the same route every year?

I penciled it down in my calendar, but work like to know more. Route map? Route options? Elevation gain, etc.

It's a6 hours drive for me, so required planning, lodging, etc. to consider.

René

cyclot...@gmail.com

Sep 12, 2016, 5:47:37 PM9/12/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
René, would be great if you could come down! We have plenty of sofa-lodging available, and if that's not your thing, motels. Philip has come down before, maybe you can talk him into carpooling south!

Routes change every year, intentionally.

You can see the similarities, but they are really quite different. I think this year's was the best. They're all going to be about 60 miles, and have approximately 6,000 ft of climbing. That's the magic ratio of 10:1,000 to let you know you're on an interesting ride!

The BIG built in for all the routes, is that there are multiple good options to cut the route short, and just meander back under your own power and still enjoy the day. I think just about everyone that has done the ride has taken advantage of on of those pinch points to bypass a chunk of the route, but still stay on the course. Shared experience among riders is a big goal, so we want people to be on the same course no matter how much they ride.

There is usually a shorter, 50 km/30 mile route option available. Last year there was also a 100 mile route, but that stretched our resources a bit too much. May not happen this year, too early to say.

Here are some great photos to build up some enthusiasm: https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=redlands%20strada%20rossa&sort=date-posted-desc

René Sterental

Sep 12, 2016, 6:16:51 PM9/12/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Great! Thanks for the info. I'll work on it and hope there aren't any business trips that come up that I can't avoid.

Bill Lindsay

Sep 12, 2016, 6:24:35 PM9/12/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I get a 6-week paid sabbatical in 2017.  I'm thinking about burning a couple weeks of that on a solo bike tour.  My easy concept is to do the coast route from SF to LA, and visit my mom.  My more adventurous option is to do the Sierra Cascades Route and visit my mom.  I ordered maps for both options from Adventure Cycling and they arrived today.  My exit from the Sierra Cascades Route would be Yucaipa.  The Sierra Cascades route intersects Strada Rossa in two places.  That would be a fun side trip near the end of a tour.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

cyclot...@gmail.com

Sep 12, 2016, 6:50:28 PM9/12/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bill, if you could pull off the timing, that would be awesome! Even if it doesn't coincide w/ the event, drop a line and we'll have a big to-do!

Joe Bunik

Sep 12, 2016, 6:57:56 PM9/12/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, socalall...@googlegroups.com
w000t!!! Go David! I sincerely hope to make it this year.

Three weeks later is Eroica California, FWIW. What is clearly needed
is a 3rd event, to make for a Californian triple crown dirt trifecta!

=- Joe Bunik
Walnut Creek, CA

Bill Lindsay

Sep 12, 2016, 6:58:07 PM9/12/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm thinking of doing Strada Rossa as my pre-ride, and doing my tour in September.  I still have family in Corona, so it's easy.

cyclotourist

Sep 12, 2016, 8:25:30 PM9/12/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Easy-peasy, Bill! Just plan enough time to make it down... that six hour drive can easily turn into eight or 10 on a Friday afternoon! :-/

Joe, I've longed hoped to get a solid cohort coming down from the Greater Bay Area! If you're at all going to drive six hours to go ride your bike, this is the one!

FYI, you can do this in San Diego the weekend after the RSR: http://www.ccsd.com/dirty-devil/ (our route will have higher dirt %).

Esteban

Sep 23, 2016, 1:29:30 PM9/23/16
to RBW Owners Bunch, socalall...@googlegroups.com
 my calendar!!!

Esteban
San Diego, Calif.

cyclotourist

Sep 23, 2016, 10:45:17 PM9/23/16
to socalall...@googlegroups.com, RBW Owners Bunch
Four year veteran!

cyclotourist

Dec 21, 2016, 6:12:40 PM12/21/16
to socalall...@googlegroups.com, RBW Owners Bunch
Couple of updates, on a rainy December day (will be plenty of green in the hills!).
We've confirmed that registration is opening on January first. We're planning on accommodating up to 500 riders (there were ~350 riders last year). So a touch larger. Rain or shine event.

This time we will be staging it out of Ritual Brewing, which has been an amazing and generous sponsor & supporter for all four years. They have a large space, real toilets, great brews as well non-alcoholic soda pop. Food is going to be catered by a local food truck and along with a pint from Ritual, will be included with registration. Cost will be $45-$65 depending on route.

There is also a FB event page if that's your thing.

The event is a fundraiser the Inland Empire Biking Alliance... a non-profit local organization with the mission of getting more people riding bikes... good people there!

Family friendly event and location. It's a tough ride, but one you can tailor to your own preferences. Cut it short, ride extra, skip a dirt section, bail out early... whatever works for you! Multi-surface, with close to a 50/50 split of dirt and asphalt. Dirt is (mostly) all hard-pack smooth trail and roads are (mostly) lightly traveled. Come on out and see what all the fuss is about!

Philip Williamson

Dec 21, 2016, 9:54:50 PM12/21/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I hope to make it down this year. With a geared bike, even!

Philip
www.biketinker.com

cyclotourist

Dec 21, 2016, 10:00:45 PM12/21/16
to socalall...@googlegroups.com, RBW Owners Bunch
Stay healthy! I'm hoping to not have any broken body parts this year!

The FB event page just went up last night, and has 40 going and 120 interested in one day!

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 6:14 PM, 'Mike Schiller' via SoCal All Rounders (SCAR) <socalall...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I've been getting my virus's out of the way early ( been sick for 3 weeks with back to back colds) so I'll be healthy for this year.  Also saw this on FB and marked as going there.

~mike

cyclotourist

Dec 21, 2016, 10:01:21 PM12/21/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yeah! Hope you can make it... and bring a friend or two!

James Warren

Dec 21, 2016, 10:04:38 PM12/21/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Slumber party!

Sent from my iPhone

cyclotourist

Dec 21, 2016, 10:13:31 PM12/21/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Already have a PDXer thinking about checking out the event... filling up fast!

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 7:04 PM, James Warren <jimcw...@earthlink.net> wrote:

Slumber party!

Sent from my iPhone

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 6:54 PM, Philip Williamson <philip.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
I hope to make it down this year. With a geared bike, even!

Philip
www.biketinker.com

Cheers,
David

Member, Supreme Council of Cyberspace

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal

Doug Peterson

Dec 21, 2016, 11:15:20 PM12/21/16
to SoCal All Rounders (SCAR), rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
"Family friendly event and location. It's a tough ride, but one you can tailor to your own preferences. Cut it short, ride extra, skip a dirt section, bail out early... whatever works for you! Multi-surface, with close to a 50/50 split of dirt and asphalt. Dirt is (mostly) all hard-pack smooth trail and roads are (mostly) lightly traveled. Come on out and see what all the fuss is about!"

One of the best features of this event!  Jim was kind enough to stick with me as I struggled on the dirt climbs last year & we bailed out before a big climbing section.  There were already a ton of people at the party so lots did the entire course faster.  Super fun event.

doug

On Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at 3:12:38 PM UTC-8, cyclotourist wrote:
[...]

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 7:45 PM, cyclotourist <cyclot...@gmail.com> wrote:
Four year veteran!

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 10:29 AM, Esteban <Prot...@gmail.com> wrote:
 my calendar!!!

Esteban
San Diego, Calif.

On Friday, September 9, 2016 at 11:02:18 PM UTC-7, cyclot...@gmail.com wrote:
Calendared it for March 18th!

Hope to see some familiar faces this spring!

--
Cheers,
David

Member, Supreme Council of Cyberspace

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal

Cheers,
David

Member, Supreme Council of Cyberspace

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal

dougP

Hugh Smitham

Dec 22, 2016, 8:56:05 PM12/22/16
to RBW Owners Bunch, socalall...@googlegroups.com
Planning on it! Do I have a spot at Chez Estes?

cyclotourist

Dec 28, 2016, 10:28:17 PM12/28/16
to socalall...@googlegroups.com, RBW Owners Bunch
It's getting full, claim your spot while you can!!!

cyclotourist

Dec 28, 2016, 10:34:08 PM12/28/16
to socalall...@googlegroups.com, RBW Owners Bunch
Registration for the ride is Jan 1... registration for sofa space is a different story! Glad you got a spot!

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 7:31 PM, 'Mike Schiller' via SoCal All Rounders (SCAR) <socalall...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
huh?  I thought registration didn't open until Jan 1st???

mike

On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 5:56 PM, Hugh Smitham <hughs...@gmail.com> wrote:
Planning on it! Do I have a spot at Chez Estes?

On Friday, September 9, 2016 at 11:02:18 PM UTC-7, cyclot...@gmail.com wrote:
Calendared it for March 18th!

Hope to see some familiar faces this spring!

--
Cheers,
David

Member, Supreme Council of Cyberspace

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal

Cheers,
David

Member, Supreme Council of Cyberspace

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal

ted

Dec 28, 2016, 10:36:43 PM12/28/16
um, on Dec 21 you wrote:
"We've confirmed that registration is opening on January first. We're planning on accommodating up to 500 riders (there were ~350 riders last year). So a touch larger. Rain or shine event. "

How pray tell is it getting full on Dec 28 2016 if registration opens on Jan 1st 2017?

On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 7:28:17 PM UTC-8, cyclot...@gmail.com wrote:
It's getting full, claim your spot while you can!!!
On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 5:56 PM, Hugh Smitham <hughs...@gmail.com> wrote:
Planning on it! Do I have a spot at Chez Estes?

On Friday, September 9, 2016 at 11:02:18 PM UTC-7, cyclot...@gmail.com wrote:
Calendared it for March 18th!

Hope to see some familiar faces this spring!

--
Cheers,
David

Member, Supreme Council of Cyberspace

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal

ted

Dec 28, 2016, 10:39:38 PM12/28/16
to RBW Owners Bunch, socalall...@googlegroups.com
Ah, I see now. Pls disregard my previous enquiry.

cyclotourist

Dec 28, 2016, 11:04:18 PM12/28/16
to RBW Owners Bunch, socalall...@googlegroups.com
I'm glad I've got your attention now!!! :-)

Esteban del Rio

Dec 29, 2016, 9:20:52 PM12/29/16
to socalall...@googlegroups.com, RBW Owners Bunch
Sofa space reservation requested for Herr. del Rio!
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/socalallrounders/CAL0K6XeJVMAVcud2ORj3UKArCbtvkD8-%3Ddb4LweAEQO4RQxe1w%40mail.gmail.com.

cyclotourist

Dec 29, 2016, 9:41:36 PM12/29/16
to socalall...@googlegroups.com, RBW Owners Bunch
del Rio, check!
Smitham, check!

Lots of floor space, sofa goes to the person traveling the furthest (maybe from PDX...!)! We'll check Strava to see who wins!

James Warren

Dec 29, 2016, 9:47:02 PM12/29/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

May I have a floor spot?

But if some northerners coming down need a spot, I'll yield.

I did talk it up with Manny and Kurt Manley today. (The RSR ride, not chateau Estes)

Sent from my iPhone

cyclotourist

Dec 29, 2016, 9:55:33 PM12/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hecks yeah! Bring it on!!! What's up with those brothers of yours???? Direct them to points south!

del Rio, check!
Smitham, check!
Warren, check!

cyclotourist

Dec 30, 2016, 12:27:34 AM12/30/16
to socalall...@googlegroups.com, RBW Owners Bunch
You've been avoiding it for too long! Might have to start sweeping out the shed to accommodate all these out of towners!

del Rio, check!
Smitham, check!
Warren, check!
The Other Smitham, check!

On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 7:56 PM, Bruce Smitham <bsmi...@jlohr.com> wrote:
I'll take floor space if there is any left. I gotta do this ride whether I'm traveling around that month or not.

Cheers!

Bruce Smitham
Senior California Area Manager
J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines | jlohr.com
Facebook & Twitter | @JLohrWines
J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines is Certified California Sustainable

cyclotourist

Jan 3, 2017, 11:21:32 PM1/3/17
to socalall...@googlegroups.com, RBW Owners Bunch
You better make this one!!!

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 8:17 PM, 'Mike Schiller' via SoCal All Rounders (SCAR) <socalall...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
paid for 100k event... looking forward to it.

mike

On Friday, September 9, 2016 at 11:02:04 PM UTC-7, cyclotourist wrote:
Calendared it for March 18th!

Hope to see some familiar faces this spring!

--
Cheers,
David

Member, Supreme Council of Cyberspace

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal

Doug Peterson

Jan 4, 2017, 10:53:39 PM1/4/17
to SoCal All Rounders (SCAR), rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Just renewed membership & signed up for the 50 km distance.  I think that's the one Jim & I did last year & we short cut that.  I'll have to ponder bike choice.  Hugh, hope you get well by then.

doug

Doug Peterson

Jan 4, 2017, 11:08:54 PM1/4/17
to SoCal All Rounders (SCAR), rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
David:

Do you have links to the course maps?  Any changes from last year?

cyclotourist

Jan 4, 2017, 11:13:21 PM1/4/17
to socalall...@googlegroups.com, RBW Owners Bunch
GREAT to hear the reg is working out!!! It's just a touch tricky.

No, no course yet. Won't be one finalized for a while still.

We did just confirm catering from these good people: http://qworksbbq.com/menu.htm
There will be a veg option as well.

cyclotourist

Jan 13, 2017, 6:39:09 PM1/13/17
to socalall...@googlegroups.com, RBW Owners Bunch
We'll miss you, and talk about you behind your back! It's the least we can do. :)

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 3:05 PM, Bruce Smitham <bsmi...@jlohr.com> wrote:

Hi David,

As much as I would love to make this year’s ride it’s unfortunately smack in the middle of my busiest work month of the year. It falls right in the middle of a big week of work in N. Cal then S. Cal. So I’m going to have to pass on this one. Sorry but thanks for the offer to host. I’ll have to set up something fun in San Diego as the weather gets warmer.

310-968-6910 bsmi...@jlohr.com
J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines | jlohr.com
Facebook & Twitter | @JLohrWines

J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines is Certified California Sustainable

cyclotourist

Jan 13, 2017, 7:25:06 PM1/13/17
to socalall...@googlegroups.com, RBW Owners Bunch
That would be our preference!!!

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 3:43 PM, Bruce Smitham <bsmi...@jlohr.com> wrote:

Fair enough although you would have more material to discuss if I was actually there J

cyclotourist

Feb 27, 2017, 11:59:40 AM2/27/17
to SoCal All Rounders (SCAR), rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
FYI, working on a 20 mile option, with good dirt and less climbing. This will be an off the books sort of thing to keep as a backup plan!

Doug Peterson

Feb 27, 2017, 1:07:28 PM2/27/17
to SoCal All Rounders (SCAR), rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
David:

Thanks a bunch!  Look forward to doing it.

doug

cyclotourist

Feb 27, 2017, 1:38:56 PM2/27/17
to SoCal All Rounders (SCAR), rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Depending on what my role is, it will probably be the one I do. I might get stuck doing road signage that a.m., which would me no riding at all :-(
I love the roll out in the morning, and the after party, so as long as I get both of those accomplished, I'm happy!!!

Dave C

Mar 4, 2017, 11:52:24 PM3/4/17
to RBW Owners Bunch, socalall...@googlegroups.com
So who is definitely going? Last time I had a chance to meet Doug but that was it. My wife and parents will be with me.We'll be most likely on Fargos. Last year my wife rode it on a Romulus with 35 mm Paselas and I used my Double Cross with the Gran Bois Cypres. We were absolutely underbiking and will be on bigger tires for sure. I've been debating between 40 mm Nanos and the 2.25" MTB tires. There was more soft sandy sections and bumpy trails than I anticipated in 2016, so I'll be prioritizing comfort.

cyclotourist

Mar 5, 2017, 12:13:34 AM3/5/17
to socalall...@googlegroups.com, RBW Owners Bunch
Dave, glad you can come down! And making it a family affair! Hope the reg. process went okay... I heard from Carroll that it continues to be a hassle :-( Sorry... we will be changing it to Eventbrite or something else next year!

I'd say go w/ something like a 2" Nanoraptor... the original! But yeah, people ride it on 25mm slicks, and 3" puffins. I'd avoid a tire with aggressive knobs. Fattest tire that rolls fast on the road is best. That's why I said Nanoraptor. The Nano40 is great as well, you'll just have sorer hands at the end!

Doing the 100k or the 30 miler? Or the 90????

Dave C

Mar 5, 2017, 12:27:30 AM3/5/17
to RBW Owners Bunch, socalall...@googlegroups.com
100 km for Steph and I. 50 km for my folks. Steph is has Nanoraptor 2" set up tubeless, so she is perfect. I don't want sore hands, so I will go fatter than 40 probably. I had to log in as Steph to get her registration completed; you can't register a secondary member of your account at the same time you register yourself, so I had to use another browser and log in her account.

I will definitely, absolutely, with-a-doubt either put sealant in my tubes or use tubeless wheels. After the multiple flats we got last time, no more!  :). Despite the good rain we've been getting, I would discourage anyone from taking a chance without sealant or slime.

I texted you this morning, I wonder if your number may have changed...
best, Dave

On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 8:52 PM, Dave C <david.char...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Doug Peterson

Mar 5, 2017, 2:26:50 PM3/5/17
to SoCal All Rounders (SCAR), rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Dave:

I'll be there with 7 of my local friends plus Hugh Smitham & perhaps Jim Warren will be there.  Also, there's a super secret 20 mile option that I convinced David to work out.  Your parents may be interested in that one but you are too young to qualify. :-).

doug

cyclotourist

Mar 10, 2017, 1:48:35 PM3/10/17
to SoCal All Rounders (SCAR), rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Gonna' be a hot one, similar to first year. Highly recommend leaving with one of the early waves!

James Warren

Mar 13, 2017, 4:10:11 PM3/13/17
to socalall...@googlegroups.com, rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yes. I'm coming. And whatever route Doug rides, I'll ride.

Sent from my iPhone

Doug Peterson

Mar 15, 2017, 8:39:03 PM3/15/17
to SoCal All Rounders (SCAR), rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Bummer.  This is such a special event.  I've noticed more aches'n'pains cropping up after "normal" rides.  Goes with the territory I guess.

We'll see on the next one.

doug

On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 4:58:14 PM UTC-7, Mike Schiller wrote:
Unfortunately I'm going to miss out on the ride Saturday.  I did a little longer ride Monday and my hip is just not healed enough yet.
Hope you all have a great time.

mike