Delete post when something is sold

tc

Mar 17, 2018, 4:36:34 PM3/17/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey all,
I'm thinking it might be a good idea for authors of "For Sale" posts to delete their posts once an item is sold, rather than creating another post just to say "Sold".

Deleting the post would keep people from thinking something might still be available, only to scroll to the bottom to find out it's not.  Also reduces the number of posts.

Some might not know how to delete their post.  Easy ... just click on the down arrow at the right-top of the post (More Message Options) and click Delete.

Tom

Jonathan D.

Mar 17, 2018, 4:51:33 PM3/17/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Personally I would ask to keep them up it’s nice to know what items have sold for/asking for and how often an item comes up.

Christopher Cote

Mar 17, 2018, 4:55:29 PM3/17/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I agree. Just reply to your own post and say "Sold!"

Chris

Eric Floden

Mar 17, 2018, 4:56:37 PM3/17/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I like to keep them showing; plus, if you delete your own post, others in the thread remain, no?

EricF
Vancouver

Steve Palincsar

Mar 17, 2018, 4:57:40 PM3/17/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
You're forgetting that not everyone reads these posts on google groups
via a web browser.

Many read these postings as email, just like a listserv. Deleting the
post is never noticed by these readers: they got their message already,
it's in their inbox, and deleting the message from the google group
doesn't send them anything and doesn't remove the message from their
inbox.  On the other hand, sending a message that the item is sold lets
them know it's been sold.
--
Steve Palincsar
Alexandria, Virginia

tc

Mar 17, 2018, 6:00:10 PM3/17/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Good points brought up, given others’ viewpoints and methods of use.

Perhaps, on the post where the seller says the item is sold, they also also edit the Subject of that post by prefixing it with SOLD:

Tom

Ron Mc

Mar 17, 2018, 6:06:18 PM3/17/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
on other forums with classifieds, you're often required to keep your post for the time it takes the buyer to receive the item, review your listing, 3 days to decide whether he wants to keep it or return, and pm that he's happy with his/her purchase.

Cyclofiend Jim

Mar 20, 2018, 3:23:01 PM3/20/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
We haven't really had a strong policy.   Don't really think we need one.  I figure that if the OP of a For Sale item keeps getting pestered by private messages, it's up to them to remove or update the listing as they see fit.

- Jim (admin-ing on a rainy Tuesday...)

Philip Williamson

Mar 22, 2018, 12:42:30 AM3/22/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I’m a “just post SOLD” guy. Deleted posts are creepy.

Philip
Santa Rosa, CA