Has anyone used this bell?

Ray Varella

Jan 7, 2017, 6:27:47 PM1/7/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
https://www.bargaintiger.com/products/modern-bike-bell

Has anyone seen these? Used one?
It's unfortunate they don't have a sound bite so we can hear it.

Ray
Vallejo CA

William deRosset

Jan 7, 2017, 6:40:45 PM1/7/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Dear Ray,

It is identical to the Knog oi! bell. I have one. It resonates lightly on washboard, and is not as loud as a spur, dia-compe, or crane bell.

It is low profile, looks nice, and integrates well with a handlebar bag and decaleur.

Best,

Will
William M deRosset
Fort Collins CO

William deRosset

Jan 7, 2017, 9:25:46 PM1/7/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I will add: if you still have any high frequency hearing, it will probably drive you insane on washboard surfaces. It rings lightly right at cruising speed. Slow way down, or hammer along at over 20 mph, and it is not a problem.

The spurcycle bell or the ene cyclo knockoff are a more functional product.

Best,

Will

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Ray Varella

Jan 7, 2017, 9:45:43 PM1/7/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Will,
That's very helpful.

Cheers,
Ray
Vallejo CA

Carla Waugh

Jan 8, 2017, 11:48:22 AM1/8/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
If all the bells I have used Spurcycle in every way out performs and is beautiful. I happen to have a black and blue one

Ray Varella

Jan 8, 2017, 4:39:58 PM1/8/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I concur Carla.
However, I do have several different Japanese bells on different bikes and I especially like the double ringer bell on my tandem, it makes for a cheerful greeting when riding close to people and it gives the stoker an opportunity to interact with strangers as we go by.

Ray
Vallejo CA

masmojo

Jan 9, 2017, 12:42:17 PM1/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
That is a cool looking bell, but I personally avoid bells that use a bunch of plastic. Not sure why, but plastic & particularly plastic in the handlebar area hasn't held up well in the past.

Jon BALER

Jan 10, 2017, 10:17:00 PM1/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
If you want this bell, buy the knog original. This is a knock-off

Brewster Fong

Jan 11, 2017, 12:09:37 PM1/11/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 7:17:00 PM UTC-8, Jon BALER wrote:
If you want this bell,  buy the knog original.   This is a knock-off

I don't know anything about this knock off, but the Knog Oi bell is terrible! I bought one on their kickstarter campaign and it is one the worst bell I have ever used! A $10 cheapie from Performance is far superior. The main problem appears to be the striker is plastic (really?! WTF?!) and the spring is weak. So it rattles and slightly rings while you're riding along and hit a bump and when you use it - forgetaboutit!  Its like the softest sound and on places like riding across the Golden Gate Bridge, where there's lots of noise, you can barely hear it.

Save your money and either get a Spurbell or buy one of those superior $10 bells from Performance:

 http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10052_10551_1179171_-1_400246__400246

Good Luck!

Ryan Fleming

Jan 11, 2017, 2:15:16 PM1/11/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
:Looks like the Knog, eh?

I ordered the Dutch bell from Riv for my mixte. I've used the Cranes and the nice brass tempe bell for 10 bucks from VO...that one I really liked but the spring broke last fall...I think I had it on my Peugeot for about 4 years. A 20 year old  Cateye with plastic trigger/ringer is still going strong...not the prettiest but it works and is loud enough

islaysteve

Jan 12, 2017, 7:02:01 AM1/12/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Does anyone know of a shop in the DC/MVA area that sells Spurcycle bells, and actually has some on display?
Thanks.

Bikie#4646

Jan 12, 2017, 8:33:42 PM1/12/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Steve, I'm down near Richmond, but can attest to the worthiness of the Spurcycle bell. I was a part of the original Kickstarter campaign. After that, I purchased two more (at considerably higher prices)! Very elegant, minimalist and a nice piercing sound that gets attention. These guys did a great job of design, down to the wonderful packaging. With each I received, I felt like I was unwrapping a Faberge' egg! What sold me over anything else was the ingenious way it attaches without screws, nuts, etc. Most of that portion is hidden away inside the bell, with only the slender (maybe 5mm) stainless strap showing. Clean! Treat yourself!
Paul Germain
Midlothian, Va.

islaysteve

Jan 13, 2017, 7:13:42 AM1/13/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for the response, Paul.  I do intend to get one, eventually.  As you say, it's a steep price for a bell, but a bell is increasingly important for the riding that I do.  I like the mounting flexibility that the Spurcycle seems to have, I need to able to reach the bell.  As for packaging, I was just thinking about that yesterday regarding Apple.  We just got iPhones.  Apple's packaging sort of makes you feel the way you described.  Marketing genius, I guess.  I remember that one of our earlier home computers came in a huge box that looked like a cow!  Cheers,
Steve

Garth

Jan 13, 2017, 4:31:34 PM1/13/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
$50 smackers for a bike bell ?

I wouldn't buy it not because of the price but the sound and function of it.   I really do prefer the more musical varieties , to me they are fun .  If I need defenses on my bike rides it's time to not ride anymore.