Looks like 50 cm Roadinis sold out. So much for small frames not selling.

Linda G

Mar 17, 2018, 1:31:23 PM3/17/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I might be wrong, but it appears that this size sold out on the website. I bought one, my first Rivendell frame. I like the Rivendell philosophy but their frames are generally too heavy duty for my uses, height and weight. Since they came out with something closer to what I want I voted with my dollars. I haven't finished building it up so I can't say for sure that it will work out but it looks promising. I used to own a 1984 Trek 620 which I toured all over on. The frame tubing on that bike appeared very similar to the Roadini. I'll bet with heavier wheels I could tour on this bike, though I don't plan to do so.

Austin

Mar 17, 2018, 4:41:48 PM3/17/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Linda--I hope you won't be disappointed--post some pictures. I snagged the 50cm Roadini on Riv's web specials page for my wife (it's currently somewhere in the midwest en route to us). Like you, she doesn't tour and I think a Hillborne would be overkill for her--enter the Roadini!

She has a Specialized Allez with skinny tires and 405mm chainstays. I think she's going to be blown away with the Roadini and won't want to ride the Specialized anymore.
Modern Shimano build (she wants brifters) but I'm going low gearing for our rolling hills with a 46/30 crankset up front and a 32t large cog in the rear. She gets my 35mm Compass Bon Jon's on A23's--it'll ride "like buttah." I'd have gotten a Sugino wide/low from Riv, but they aren't compatible with 11s.

I'll post pics and a build spec at some point in the process just for fun.

-Austin
Sykesville, MD

masmojo

Mar 19, 2018, 3:19:29 PM3/19/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Great, I hardly consider a 50cm, small, but it is right on the boundary. Under 50cm and popularity drifts off big time. 46 thru 49cm are slow going.

Daniel D.

Mar 19, 2018, 9:04:20 PM3/19/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Did you mean small as in sizing or less stout? If less stout, I agree. If sizing, I disagree that riv says they don't sell. A person riding a 50 cm roadini would be on a 52 Hillborne. That size range smallish medium seems to sell out pretty quickly.

Jim M.

Mar 19, 2018, 9:59:55 PM3/19/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Congratulations on your first Riv! The Roadini is a great riding bike, as are all Rivs in my  opinion. We do want pictures when you can.

jim m
walnut creek, ca

Linda G

Mar 19, 2018, 10:27:00 PM3/19/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I stand corrected if 50 cm isn't considered a small frame. I guess my main point was that shorter, lighter people (many of them women) might appreciate a less stout frame and if those frames sold it would be good for Rivendell. I have trouble finding a frame that works for me and may not be the only one.