New 1 1/8" threadless stem on 2/10 Blug

Patrick Moore

Feb 12, 2016, 12:18:10 PM2/12/16
to rbw-owners-bunch
High rise with 25.4 mm clamp; looks promising. But puh leeze make the clamp with a removable face plate!

The larger Grabsack also looks good, but alas it is designed for a 13" laptop, not the 15" I have. They should add a waist strap, too.

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a circumference on which all conditions, distinctions, and individualities revolve. Chuang Tzu

Stat crux dum volvitur orbis. (The cross stands motionless while the world revolves.) Carthusian motto

It is we who change; He remains the same. Eckhart

Kinei hos eromenon. (It moves [all things] as the beloved.) Aristotle

Kieran J

Feb 12, 2016, 12:43:19 PM2/12/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
It looks like an up-jutter version of the Ritchey Force Lite stems Nitto used to make in the 90's. Nice stuff, I have a beauty one in my parts bin.

KJ

Grant @ Rivendell

Feb 13, 2016, 12:36:38 PM2/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
We have considered the re-muv-a-plate and have not totally rejected it. I think I'm the only one here who has any misgivings at all, but I'm also the one who'd get in trouble if Joe Blow blew it with the bolts and got hurt--and tragically, that influences things, sometimes. I feel an emoticon coming on! Anyway, the stem is best used when converting a too-small bike with drops or straight bars, to an Albatross or Choco bar. Maybe Alba if a road bike, or Choco-with-its-greater-sweep if a mountain bike---and in either case, those bars won't need changing :). <--is that right?
NITTO does some r-plate stems, and reports that the vertical slot isn't as strong as a horizontal slot, and that becomes an issue with wider bars and mountain bars. A 42cm drop bar doesn't leverage the clamp as much as a 55cm wide-y. All these things the tests reveal that rides don't, but that we, as kind of gatekeepers for your safety, have to watch out for.

Many things related to bike set up and component use and correctness that may seem obvious to 99 percent of you reading this, are not to be taken for granted among the population as a whole, by which I include and am only really talking about OUR customers. I think our customer have more than average bike smarts, but as the years pass the number of bikes and parts we've put out there climbs, and ownership passes to eBay customer and so on...and it doesn't mean we have to ultra-dumb down our stuff, it just means we have to chew on things longer before doing 'em.

The Jumbo Grabsack...I'll try my old 15-er in it and report. That computer died, but it has a great Sheldon sticker on it, so I keep it around. Anyway, not to bring up THIS again, but I have been known to tote a laptop around in a Saddlesack LIKE EVERY DAY OF MY LIFE, and a 13er in El Jumbo fits into a MED..but a 15er won't. It'd go into a large, though.

iamkeith

Feb 13, 2016, 1:22:04 PM2/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Patrick,

For what it's worth, I have used and/or am still using about a half dozen of the old Ritchey Force stems which, as Kieran noted, are similar to this stem in that they have no removable face plate AND have a broader, squared-off, mtb style clamp area (as opposed to the road/drop bar style with the clipped bottom corners).  And some old steel salsa stems too, which have  a similar shape clamp area.

I've been able to fit pretty much any handlebar I want into them, including some drop bars with some pretty drastic/sharp curves.  The trickiest was a Salsa Woodchipper, but Albatross, Bosco and Moustache bars are no problem whatsoever.   The nice thing about a steel stem is that you can spread the clamp further, more easily, and with less risk of damage than you can a forged stem.  I'm sure there's a limit and you need to be prudent, but I can't imagine an exisiting 25.4 bar that couldn't work.  I'm sure you know the reverse-the-bolt-and-stick-a-coin-in-the-gap trick for spreading.

Obviously it's not as quick to change stems as it is if you have a removable plate, but I'm guessing there won't be much experimenting and fine-tuning going on anyway.   This stem fills a HUGE void in the marketplace but will either work or it won't.  Unless they offer multiple extension lengths or rise angles?  Barring that, I really like the classic look of the single bolt, and can't wait until the stem is available.

Patrick Moore

Feb 13, 2016, 2:29:49 PM2/13/16
to rbw-owners-bunch
Thanks for trying (see below). I can see your reason for hesitating to use a removable face plate if some (dummy synonym) might install it wrong, a la quick release, and do himself and others harm.

I bet I can get a 15" laptop into a Medium Saddlesack, but I want a nice shoulder bag too. If you don't add a waist strap, I will.

Keith (Iam?Ian?): I've installed many a tightly curved bar into stems such as Tioga T-Bones and so forth using the bolt and penny trick, but removable face plates are so easy. Still, as I said, I understand, and I'm glad nonetheless that someone is making a 11/8" upjutter decent looking threadless stem. I think that my 19" Race Lite might use one to hold dirt drop bars; we'll see.

Joe Bernard

Feb 13, 2016, 3:11:14 PM2/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've appreciated the open face-plate when going through my notoriously obsessive process of dialing in stem length - buy a stem, swap it in without undoing bar stuff, don't like it, buy another stem, repeat - but that feature is pointless once you know the length you need. Per Grant's caution, I have to admit I don't entirely trust the connection of these things. Right now my CLEM has a threadless-on-quill-adaptor 'cause that's what I had around, but it's going to get a proper quill single-bolt stem eventually.

iamkeith

Feb 13, 2016, 6:54:22 PM2/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
What size stem would you need, Joe?  I've got a bunch of quality old quill stems lying around that I'll likely never use, so am happy to pass on to a good home if one will work.

Funny, isn't it Patrick, that this new stem is 1 1/8"  while Bontrager happened to be the last holdout, other than Rivendell, of 1" forks?!  A couple of the places I could see myself most urgently utilizing this stem are actually on 1" bikes too... like my bontrager.

It's just "Keith," but the way.  I AM Keith.   Inside joke that's no longer funny, but I ended up using it for my profile on all forums where I participate.

Joe Bernard

Feb 13, 2016, 7:04:42 PM2/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Keith, who am. I need a pretty long stem, 130 or 140, 25.4 clamp. That's usually threadless open-face territory, which is how I ended up with the one that's on there now. Whatcha got?

dstein

Feb 13, 2016, 7:21:18 PM2/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
No comment on the stem but I did pick up a jumbo grabsack a few weeks ago and love it. There is a sewn in sleeve on the inside which holds my 13" mac but does not fit my wife's 14" lenovo (which is pretty thick). That being said, there is ample room outside of the sewn in sleeve where the 14" lenovo fits fine and I imagine a 15" would fit, it just wouldn't be nice and snug like as if in the sleeve thing.

iamkeith

Feb 13, 2016, 7:53:20 PM2/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
130-140 is easy.  Most of my stuff is from '80s 90's mountain bikes, where the entire goal was to go over the handlebars as often as possible.  ;-)   Might not have anything as elegant as nitto, but will have good quality.  I'll take some pictures tomorrow and PM you.

Patrick Moore

Feb 13, 2016, 8:40:45 PM2/13/16
to rbw-owners-bunch
Keith: The Bontrager has a 1" threadless fork, but I'm happily using a spacer to get a 1 1/8" stem to fit. Far easier than trying to track down the right length and rise in 1".

Dave (Stein): Good to know that the jumbo does hold a 15". Would you be kind enough to post a photo of the thick 14" inside the main compartment? My new-to-me-but-2014-model-year Macbook Pro is pretty thin, and measures about 14 1/3" side to side. I don't mind the sleeve not fitting, as it will serve instead as a divider for papers and what have you. (I'll still sew on a waist strap, though.)

David Banzer

Feb 13, 2016, 10:03:27 PM2/13/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

Patrick Moore

Feb 13, 2016, 10:14:45 PM2/13/16
to rbw-owners-bunch
Thank you! And it comes in the elegant black so in demand among cycling men of discrimination. (My Bontrager has black parts.)

This clinches it:

It can be get great position, especially grip drop end part.

Patrick "it can making great happiness in anticipate of drop end bar" Moore

On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 8:03 PM, David Banzer <daba...@gmail.com> wrote:
Here you go: http://store.fairweather.cc/store/p35/NITTO__MCR65_STEM_.html

iamkeith

Feb 14, 2016, 4:08:23 PM2/14/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
David,  you're a damn encyclopedia of obscure-but-valuable parts sources, sometimes!

davec...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2016, 8:39:02 PM2/14/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, probably not the best pic, but there's ample room in here with this 14" Lenovo with an extended battery sticking out, sleeve is behind the laptop

image1.JPG

Sent from my iPhone

sameness

Feb 14, 2016, 8:54:43 PM2/14/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
T420?

Pre-Chiclet KB Lenovos are my idea of a true BOB-ish laptop.

Jeff "Typed from a T410" Hagedorn
Los Angeles, CA USA

David Stein

Feb 14, 2016, 8:58:37 PM2/14/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Close, T430!  It's my wife's work laptop and I had to go check. who knew she's a true BOB!