Random OT impressions sought: BF Haul-a-Day

Joe Bernard

Dec 14, 2017, 10:05:56 PM12/14/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Anybody out there in Bobland own one? I'm thinking of building one up as an e-assist shopping bike..interested in hearing impressions of the regular version.

Joe Bernard
Novato CA.

Christopher Murray

Dec 14, 2017, 10:31:18 PM12/14/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I don't have a Haul-a-day but I've had four Bike Fridays. The one I have currently has the same type of adjustable frame as the haul-a-day. The frame feels as stiff and as well made as any of the other BFs I've owned. The versatility of adjusting the frame is very cool even if not used often. You can easily adjust the frame for a 5 foot rider from a 6 footer in about 5 minutes. Have you had/ do you have a Bike Friday? If you have any questions I can help with, please let me know.

Lovelybicycle wrote a good review of the haul-a-day not too long before she vanished.

Cheers!
Chris

Joe Bernard

Dec 14, 2017, 11:37:58 PM12/14/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, I had an NWT for a while. I overestimated its folding ability - it's really a take-apart travel bike, as advertised - but it was a nice ride.

Thanks for the heads up about Lovely Bike, I'll check it out.

Joe Bernard

Dec 14, 2017, 11:41:37 PM12/14/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Btw, apologies for posting on the wrong forum. It's already off-topic for internet-bob - which is where I intended to go - but WAY OT here. Whoops.

Joe Bernard

Dec 16, 2017, 3:30:00 PM12/16/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well that unintended foray into off-topicism worked out nicely: I'm now the proud new owner of a Flag Red Haul-a-Day. From a Rivster!

Wait, now all my bikes are different shades of red: Flag Red, Candy Apple and Maroon. I'm a bikematcher 😋

Joe "any color you want, as long as it's..." Bernard
Novato CA.

Deacon Patrick

Dec 16, 2017, 4:16:06 PM12/16/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
A happy accident for me as well, Joe! May you long enjoy haul-a-daying two engines plus cargo around! Grin.

With abadnon,
Patrick

Ty Smith

Dec 17, 2017, 1:31:58 PM12/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oddly enough, I've been thinking about a Haul-A-Day to replace my Xtracycle, only because of worsening back issues and nerve pain. The high step-over and weight of my stokemonkey equipped Xtracycle at is not as easy to deal with as it used to be.

Sorry to extend this non-Rivendell thread! ;) As mitigation, I do have a giant Wald basket and small safety triangle (purchased from Rivendell) which I will transfer to the Haul-A-Day (if I get one, that is.)

(yorkie not included.)

Joe Bernard

Dec 17, 2017, 1:46:27 PM12/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oh there's all kinds of Riv content involved here. This project started when I was at RBW HQ last week and spotted their Cycle Trucks Beavertail cargo bike and said to Roman, "That needs a motor!" Which then reminded me Bike Friday makes a small-wheel cargo bike and here we are!

I'll be riding it (and my new Cheviot) in Riv pants, Riv shirt (Pletscher) and Riv gloves; with the omnipresent Riv Bartube hanging off the front. It's all good! 👍

Christopher Murray

Dec 17, 2017, 6:13:19 PM12/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
AND when Bike Friday came out with the head badge for their bikes they specifically thanked Grant for helping get it made. This was probably 2002-ish? Also MUSA. And great customer service. Oh, and Bike Friday is amazing.

Chris

Joe Bernard

Dec 18, 2017, 9:28:43 PM12/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I didn't know that about Grant and the headbadge. That's cool!