ISO: 32 hole Sturmey Archer S3X hub, later model

Patrick Moore

Apr 28, 2016, 4:41:45 PM4/28/16
to internet-bob, rbw-owners-bunch
Does anyone have one for sale or trade? I looked all last year for commercial sources to no avail.

I say "later model" meaning, not the first issue, which scuttlebutt says had wear problems.

Thanks, Patrick

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a circumference on the contours of which all conditions, distinctions, and individualities revolve. Chuang Tzu

Stat crux dum volvitur orbis. (The cross stands motionless while the world revolves.) Carthusian motto

It is we who change; He remains the same. Eckhart

Kinei hos eromenon. (It moves [all things] as the beloved.) Aristotle

Patrick Moore

Apr 29, 2016, 3:39:11 PM4/29/16
to internet-bob, rbw-owners-bunch
Well, I think I've been lucky -- a boblister has a 32 for a good price and we've just done business. No business online or on the ground has one in 32, though 36 are still common on eBay.

The S3X was a very brief explosion: years of anticipation; a couple of years of immense interest; then oblivion. Why is that?

I'm going to try to build this up myself as a longer distance wheel for the '99 gofast. I'm still thinking of asking Chauncey to narrow down my '03 fixed Riv to 120 so I can use the AM on that one, but if anyone else has a good price on a 32 hole, ***130 mm OL*** S3X I'd like to talk.

Yes, I know I could buy a 36 hole rim, but I am particular about my rims and they come only in 32 or 28, and they are no longer made.

Jon Dukeman in the foothills of Colorado

Apr 29, 2016, 4:23:29 PM4/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch, intern...@googlegroups.com

For future references .
These people are very knowledgeable and have many resources for internal geared hubs..

Lots of good info here:
Need internal geared hub repairs...Aarons Bike Repair.

Patrick Moore

Apr 29, 2016, 6:43:33 PM4/29/16
to rbw-owners-bunch, internet-bob

Thanks, all. Good to know that at least some people still like it and are longtime users. Also, thanks for the Geared Hub Bikes url.

I've long wanted secondary, geared wheels for my 2 Rivendells, and hubs seem overall the best, taking into account mileage, cost, and complication. With the S3X, I don't have to add a rear brake (and lever) to the gofast.

Scott G.

May 2, 2016, 8:00:58 PM5/2/16
to internet-bob, rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Sturmey brought back the wrong hub, too much lash.

Next time bring back the TF, two speed hub, direct drive and -25%.
Oil bath please. Fun fact, old Sturmeys used 12 spline cogs, with a lock ring,
same lock ring as used on track bikes today.

A Rohloff built AM would be a thing of beauty.

Tin Cans shall return!

bert...@gmail.com

May 2, 2016, 8:56:42 PM5/2/16
to Scott G., internet-bob, rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ia agree, the TF would be just right, but I'm happy to get the S3X.

Sent from my iPhone
--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups internet-bob group. To post to this group, send email to intern...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to internet-bob...@googlegroups.com. For more options, group rules and how to contact the moderation team, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/internet-bob?hl=en
---

Reed Kennedy

May 3, 2016, 12:44:04 AM5/3/16
On Friday, April 29, 2016 at 12:39:11 PM UTC-7, Patrick Moore wrote:

The S3X was a very brief explosion: years of anticipation; a couple of years of immense interest; then oblivion. Why is that?

Well, I can tell you that at least for me they did not work very well. Rather dredging up vague memories, I'll link to the review I wrote at the time:

I can't say for sure that the shop I bought mine from stopped carrying them because of all the money they lost on me, but I can tell you they did stop carrying them shortly after my little adventure.

I noticed you specified that you wanted a "later model" hub. I hope they improved them! Please check in after 6 months if it's still working? I still love the idea...

Best,
Reed

JohnS

May 4, 2016, 8:15:42 AM5/4/16
to RBW Owners Bunch, intern...@googlegroups.com
Hello Patrick,

I wonder if it might be easier to find a 1st generation 32 hole hub and use it's shell with the internals from a 2nd generation 36 hole.

Good luck, still loving my modified Bendix 2 speed.

JohnS

Patrick Moore

May 7, 2016, 12:00:29 PM5/7/16
to Jtrops, internet-bob, rbw-owners-bunch
Jerry -- thanks, interesting description. Why did you choose 3d as a downhill gear rather than a cruising gear? And do you notice any more drag in 2nd than in 3d (=direct)?

So, I gather that many run direct as a downhill gear and use 2nd as a cruising gear. That does make sense, since, really, the gap between high and 2nd is really too big if high is geared for flatland cruising, so that 2nd becomes in effect a climbing gear instead of a "lower cruising gear"; and the what is 1st for?

So, another question to all: gear as Jerry does, or gear with 3d/direct cruising? Eg. 76/57/48 (46 t ring, 15 t cog, 24.75" wheel), or say 90/68/56?

Really, I'm inclined toward the former, as a 90+ inch gear is just too big for anything practical. To get a 70" cruising gear, I'd have to gear 3d up to 94", and that would mean using a 12 t cog (46 t ring with 24.75" wheels) and removing a link, or swapping out the 46 for a 50+ ring and still using a sub 15 t cog.

I can spin comfortably down longish hills in the 76 at 25+ mph, and very steep hills just require backpedaling or occasional braking. Thus I can use 2d/57 as a climbing gear and 1st/48 as, well,  a low climbing gear when one is tired, as I will be if I ever decide to ride 50+ miles at a time.

On Sat, May 7, 2016 at 9:37 AM, Jtrops <jerry....@gmail.com> wrote:
I've been running an S3X for a few years, and it has been great.  My gearing is 46/14 with 700x38c tires.  I use the middle gear for flats, high for descents, and low for climbing.  I played around with a few different ratio's, but this setup has proven to be the most generally useful.  I don't have any trouble on club gravel rides.

The only times I randomly shifted into neutral were with the original shifter, but I sent Sunrace/SA an email, and had a new shifter in a couple of days.  The problem never came up again.  From what I gather most of the problems with the early hubs came down to the shifters.

I made a cable stop out of a hose clamp that goes around the head tube, and then a seat cluster pulley from an old 5spd shifter mount, and a delrin pulley.

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups internet-bob group. To post to this group, send email to intern...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to internet-bob...@googlegroups.com. For more options, group rules and how to contact the moderation team, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/internet-bob?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "internet-bob" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/internet-bob.

JohnS

May 7, 2016, 5:08:06 PM5/7/16
to RBW Owners Bunch, jerry....@gmail.com, intern...@googlegroups.com

Hello Patrick,

Looks like the shift from 3rd to 2nd is the same 25% reduction that I have with my two speed Bendix. I like cruising in the direct drive gear, I'm easily in it for 95% of the ride on a good day and more like 90% on a windy day or one that I'm not feeling that great. My current gearing is 42/18 with a 700c x 38mm tire, producing a 64 gear inch. The down shift is to 48. This combination works very well for the rolling hills that I ride, there are only one or two steep climbs which I can't make it up in the low gear. So maybe having a second low gear would be beneficial for me. I've been feeling pretty good on the bike so far this year and have been thinking of bumping the chain ring up to a 44 which would give me 67/50. I'm getting better at spinning my legs on down hills, less bumping up and down in the saddle and less braking.

Good luck,
JohnS

Patrick Moore

May 7, 2016, 9:52:55 PM5/7/16
to rbw-owners-bunch, jerry....@gmail.com, internet-bob

John and Jerry -- thanks for the information. I'll start out gearing the hub with 76" cruising gear in 3d/direct, and see how I like that. I think that the S3X driver takes Hypgerglide cogs, so it will be easy to swap them out.

Left the hub and rim with Stevie today, with his promise to let me build the wheel myself under his scrutiny. Revolutions with alloy nipples -- we'll see; perhaps better try my 2d wheel build on something with more conventional spokes.

The long term and secret reason for the S3X on the Gofast is the, just possible, chance of doing an Eroica, if in fact those on the CL list host one in Tuscon or Phoenix this winter, as a few have discussed. I think that a 48" low gear, perhaps even a 43", if I set 3d/direct/cruising at ~70", will suffice for the 50 or 65 or so miler.

We'll see.