RBW List takes over West Point Inn

Manuel Acosta

Jun 26, 2016, 7:03:02 PM6/26/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Someone needs to write report on this.

Such a great time, really hard to wrap my head and write something about it.

Pictures proved that Jackie is the Lady of the Mountain and if she says you should cook a steak... You cook that steak.

Manny

Chris Lampe 2

Jun 26, 2016, 7:25:04 PM6/26/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Amazing photos!  Thanks for posting.

I like the bike pics near the end but what is the black lugged bike with the trombone in it's basket?

James Warren

Jun 26, 2016, 7:32:24 PM6/26/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Sent from my iPhone

Clayton.sf

Jun 26, 2016, 8:35:27 PM6/26/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
A great weekend! Memories worth remembering!
Thanks all organizing and for all the good times. Do it again soon! Here some pics too: https://flickr.com/photos/80405083@N00/sets/72157670282486735

Clayton Scott
(Guy with the Jones bike)
SF, CA

Hugh Smitham

Jun 26, 2016, 10:30:48 PM6/26/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Clayton,

Like we'd forget :) Mr. 3.8 up front Knard.

~Hugh

Hugh Smitham

Jun 26, 2016, 10:40:31 PM6/26/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Dude you rock the images! Great riding with you and thanks for kicking my ass ;)

~Hugh

dstein

Jun 26, 2016, 11:25:08 PM6/26/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Awesome photos, they tell plenty!

Good times, can't wait to do it again.

René Sterental

Jun 27, 2016, 12:13:32 AM6/27/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Looking at those photos makes me think I wouldn't have been able to keep up... Were all those taken on the PM loop that I would have bypassed anyway?

Hopefully next time I'll be able to make it. Bummed I got sick, but am feeling better now and going on vacation to Boone, NC next week. Taking the Bike Friday with me.

Glad you had such a great time. The photos and views are fabulous; I'll have to go there just to check the place out and check the riding as well at my pace.

René

Hugh Smitham

Jun 27, 2016, 4:08:33 AM6/27/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well we won't know for sure Rene... It was a challenging ride and somewhat swift but not crazy fast we definitely took breaks and stopped for lunch in some shade at 11:30pm. The image after the young man holding the camera (Jake David Estes Son) and Jacquie the legend was the beginning of Eldridge Grade off of the East Peak of Tam. At its steepest ~36% and Manny took a picture of the surface roller bearing loose. I think that might have been where Tony went down. Tony was a trooper and carried on and owned this ride. The Repack beginning began at mile 21.5 what is named Cascade Canyon Road.

So that's all I'm going to answer for now. I plan on writing a blog post but I'm back to work and I think I have a broken finger from the previous weekends ride so typing is a chore.

This ride was epic and I drank ~6 liters of water during the ride, it was a hot one. Down below in Fairfax a rider with a Garmin sade it was 95ºF in the shade. This was at roughly 3pm it wasn't much cooler up on the PM loop.

Sorry you were sick and I hope you're feeling better. There were others that rode a quicker I think paved route to PM and hit it counterclockwise then down repack, there are options.

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Philip Williamson

Jun 27, 2016, 11:56:27 AM6/27/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Excellent to ride and eat and talk with you all! Everyone who couldn't make it was missed, and I think this should be an annual event. Biannual.
The view from the Inn is pretty nice: https://flic.kr/p/HAVUFY

I rode to Fairfax down Ridgeline Trail with David, Curtis, Reed, Jake, and Jim Harlow. My memory that "it's all downhill from here" was not entirely accurate, but Samuel P Taylor park has the best and sweetest water in the world.
In Fairfax, I switched groups and rode up the (closed to cars!) BoFax road and Bolinas Ridge with Tony, Esteban, and Joe (who shared out his Clif Blox and water). As soon as I got under the trees on the ride back, my attitude switched from "I gotta grind out this climb to get home to the Inn," to "wow, there is nothing I'd rather be doing than riding this road right now."

Semi-related: as soon as I got home I switched out my suspension fork for rigid, and ordered a pair of Rat Trap Pass ELs.

Philip

Deacon Patrick

Jun 27, 2016, 12:04:52 PM6/27/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sweet! I love the variety of bikes and the big honkin' smiles!

With abandon,
Patrick

Tony

Jun 27, 2016, 3:35:26 PM6/27/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Look at Manny's photos of the scenery from the Inn's deck that first dark night (no electricity). The soundtrack for a short bit was Jacquie quietly playing around with the tune to "Shady Grove" on her banjo.

There's peaches in the summertime,
apples in the fall.
If I can't have the one I love,
I don't want no love at all.

Shady Grove, my true love,
Shady Grove, my darling.
Shady Grove, my true love,
I'm going back to Harlan

Tony

Joe Bunik

Jun 27, 2016, 5:07:55 PM6/27/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_bunik/sets/72157667527929894

I don't think there could have been a weekend any better - my mind
will be replaying this one on repeat for the foreseeable future! What
a GREAT time and particular thanks go out to the Jacquie P. / David E.
/ Jim W. / Hugh S. quad-fecta for making this thing happen in the
first place.

I thought I'd only be able to swing up there for a short visit
sometime Saturday at best but, thanks to both my fabulous wife's
enablement and Esteban's encouragement, I knocked off early Friday,
got my bag together, and hit the road for Marin.

The West Point Inn is a 1904-era alpine lodge high up Mt. Tamalpais
and only accessible by trail. Individual accommodations can be
arranged, but thanks to incomparable WPI member Jacquie Phelan, we had
the entire facility at our disposal. As the gang drifted into camp on
Friday night, we enjoyed a great feed, good imbibement, and fine
company.

I dare say if the evening ended warm, Saturday dawned HOT - and, early
- most of the cabins and the main building are eastward-oriented
facing the SF Bay and thus little shelter from a 5:30am sunrise. Where
was the fog, and why had it been replaced with a breeze that felt like
a hot hair dryer?

The best thing about having 25-30 people ready to go, a quiver of
bikes available, and no hard agendas whatsoever was that splintering
into 4 or 5 different riding groups felt totally fine. I had brought
my Legolas, which I am always happy with on fire roads but a bit less
sure of on technical/MTB-level descents (x42 Conti "Cross" tires just
grazing the chainstays when the frame flexes) - so, I will need come
back on something else to test the run-out on Eldridge Grade (though I
heard afterwards it may have recently been leveled out some).

Jim W., Esteban, Joe #2, and myself (all of us mid-size tire riders)
opted for the ridgeline, ocean views of the Seven Sisters / BoFax
pavement descent to Alpine Dam, where we branched onto the old flume
road in the Lagunitas Creek canyon heading down towards Kent Lake.
This fine track had some major mojo, and we agreed we'd made the right
choice! The bill for all that descending came due upon arrival at the
junction w/ Old Vee Rd., which was a triple chevron death march
up-and-out to the next ridge. Throw in some stretches of blasting sun
and those goddam biting horse flies only adding to the fun.

Finally, we reached the open roads which would take us north into a
more rolling hilltop and valley terrain, with several stretches of
exposed boulder gardens for good measure. We left a decision of
whether or not to pursue the Pine Mountain Truck Rd. loop TBD upon
arrival. Far off across the valley, we spotted at least 3 suspicious
characters (isn't that Manny wearing his red onesie?) climbing - or
wait, are they walking? - up the grade we surmised must be PMTR. Dang,
they'd beaten us to the next crossroads - and hence our paths wouldn't
cross until later on in Fairfax. It was only getting later and hotter,
so we decided to forego this latter half of Hugh's "Dirty Middle
Route" and instead explore the northern San Geronimo Ridge fireroads
that lead up to nice singletrack on White's Hill.

Passing Repack Rd., a cryptic chalk mark was placed in hopes of
greeting/baffling Hugh's Rough Riders when they eventually made their
way around the loop. Moving northward out of MMWD lands, more rocks
encountered until finally we were back in the woods and the soil. We
could almost smell lunch cooking at the brewery just over the ridge.
Skirting Tamarancho on a nicely groomed, steep trail descending
through redwoods closed out the first half of the day as we rolled
into Fairfax. While Jim Warren intercepted Doug P. @ the Mountain Bike
museum, Esteban and I quaffed multiple iced espressos where I hear it
was pinging 95° in the shade of town.

Lunch! A mighty lunch it was!!! Right on queue, Hugh's Rough Riders
appeared fresh off their Repack Rd. descent just as the beers were
served. It all becomes hazy until I awoke in the air-conditioned
recovery room of the MMB/MBHOF where the Breeze family hosted our
filthy mob for quite some time. An amazing collection which I will
definitely return to and peruse even closer. And then, Phil Williamson
rolled in the door...

I won the underdog vote for leading a B-route return to camp, going
back via Bolinas-Fairfax Rd. to Lake Alpine, closing the balloon we
began earlier. Heading west on BoFax makes for a long steady climb,
but hey- it's closed to cars (for now), is in the shade, and is just
totally beautiful the whole way up. Back past all the famous locations
we finally made it to Pantoll camp where the trail back to WPI breaks
off. This now-familiar, flowy homestretch was the icing on the cake to
a great day in the saddle.

Dinner and refreshment were had and then it was quick to bed - much
earlier than the previous night. Unfortunately I was completely wired
(those goddam coffees!) and my room upstairs in the main lodge was
insufferably hot and still. At 2am I relocated to the couch in the
grand room downstairs where finally some sleep was found.

Sunday offered another early repeat to the fine company and
conversations, with reflections on the nature of the event and what
had brought us all together in this unique place. Decampment time
arrived far too soon, and as we each rode off in our own directions I
was already checking my calendar for the next window of opportunity.

Until we meet again folks,
=- Joe Bunik
Walnut Creek, CA

On 6/26/16, dstein <davec...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Awesome photos, they tell plenty!
>
> Good times, can't wait to do it again.

Hugh Smitham

Jun 28, 2016, 3:32:21 PM6/28/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Joe for a spot on accounting of this past weekend...like you I'm still processing what a magical time I had with all of you. Need to do this again.

Here are my photo's sorry it's a huge dump and kinda out of order.

~Hugh

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

cyclotourist

Jun 29, 2016, 2:50:03 PM6/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Great to read the ride reports from the other groups. We split into an
initial three groups Saturday morning, based on
speed/distance/terrain. I ended up going with the last group on what
was billed as the shorter/smoother ride. I don't know about all that,
but 34 miles later, I wasn't turning down an offer to shuttle back to
the WPI!!! Wish I could have dragged this weekend out and gone for
more rides with you folks up there! Even with the heat, it was
fantastic!

My pics from the weekend in mostly chronological order:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclotourist/albums/72157667635974003
Cheers,
David

Member, Supreme Council of Cyberspace

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal

René Sterental

Jun 29, 2016, 4:43:25 PM6/29/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Those photos are very nice!

Can you share your route? I'm thinking that at some point in mid august, I'd like to try to go for a day ride to check the place out. I'm wondering if you'd recommend parking in Fairfax and doing the loop from there just to avoid all the climbing at the end of the ride. If mid-august is too hot, then I'll do it in early September or in October.

I'm definitely interested in exploring the area.

René

Philip Williamson

Jun 29, 2016, 5:22:14 PM6/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think I'm going to do one of the Pancake Breakfast rides from Fairfax. Maybe even park at the gate on Bo-Fax road.
The ride across Alpine Dam with no cars for miles in either direction is pretty amazing.

Philip

Kieran J

Jun 29, 2016, 7:46:34 PM6/29/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
What a magical meet-up! I rode to the Inn (solo) once a few years back and the mystical, contemplative nature of the place is to me very obviously conductive to a gathering like this one. A real scenic balcony perch to reflect on life with no annoying cars or throngs around.

Can't wait to get back to Marin this year - wish my timing could have synced with this fun looking thing !

KJ

dougP

Jul 3, 2016, 12:14:14 AM7/3/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks to all who posted photos.  This was truly a magical weekend with a great group.  I look forward to a return trip.

doug