Front Rack for Hunqapillar

Kevin Lindsey

Oct 10, 2017, 11:14:38 AM10/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Greetings.
I need a front rack suitable for loaded touring (i.e. for panniers) that'll fit on my 54cm 700c Hunq.  I was assuming that the Nitto Big Front Rack would be the way to go, but then I read a comment on the page for Nitto's Mark's Hub Area rack that "Yes, this rack will work for newer 700c Hunqapillars."  Is there an issue with Hunqs and Nitto front racks?  What are others using?
Many thanks,
Kevin Lindsey

Bill Lindsay

Oct 10, 2017, 11:25:33 AM10/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
The issue between Hunqapillars and Hub Area Racks was that the mid fork braze on was too far away from the fork tip to allow the Hub Area Rack to fit.

There’s no issue with your 790c Hunqapillar and a Big Front Rack. The Big Front is a good choice.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito Ca.

drew

Oct 10, 2017, 12:47:35 PM10/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've had a big front rack, a campee rack with the detachable lowriders and now a pass/stow 3 bar rack on my 54cm hunqapillar. all worked well and the setup was fairly easy. the big front uses p-clamps, but you can get around that with some really short struts and a little bending.

Tim Gavin

Oct 10, 2017, 1:23:54 PM10/10/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Kevin-

Do you want a top platform in addition to pannier capability?  If so, the Nitto Big Front (34F) and Campee Classic (F20 et al) are excellent choices.  The Surly front rack is another good option,but less expensive.

If you do not need a top platform, then the Nitto Hub Area racks are nice.  The Tubus Tara has similar capability but is less expensive.
You could always add a mini front rack (Nitto M12, for example) in addition to the Nitto HAR or Tubus Tara.  Separate top and pannier racks seem less integrated, but that allows you to use one or the other, or both, as required for your load.

Nitto racks are well-constructed and have excellent finish.  They use narrower tubing that has a more classic appearance.  Tubus racks use more oversize tubing and they have a more modern appearance.

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 11:47 AM, drew <drewbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've had a big front rack, a campee rack with the detachable lowriders and now a pass/stow 3 bar rack on my 54cm hunqapillar. all worked well and the setup was fairly easy. the big front uses p-clamps, but you can get around that with some really short struts and a little bending.

John

Oct 10, 2017, 2:46:53 PM10/10/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ask yourself how much you plan to put in your panniers? Riv says the load for the Big Front Rack is 30 lbs, and the Hub Area Rack is 7 lbs per pannier. Another question is how rough are the roads you plan to travel?

And you are limited to tires no larger than 52mm with the Big Front Rack, something I found out when I tried to fit the rack over 55mm Big Bens.

John

Kevin Lindsey

Oct 11, 2017, 5:29:43 AM10/11/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Not sure how much weight will go in the panniers; I've never done the loaded touring thing before, but would imagine that I'd need more than seven pounds' capacity down there.  As for tires, the largest ones I run on my Hunq are 50mm Marathons, so width shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks, all, for the advice.  I'll try the Big Front rack.
All the beset,
Kevin Lindsey

Hunter Ellis

Nov 12, 2017, 11:53:47 AM11/12/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have the whole shebang (nitto mini, hub area no hoops, sackville bags, basket, and custom basket bag) for sale over on the ibob group. with Rivendell's CONSERVATIVE weight rating you could put 18.5 lbs on your front end with that.

Kevin Lindsey

Nov 12, 2017, 5:39:58 PM11/12/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hunter -
Thanks for the posting.  Unfortunately, based on group input, I splurged and bought the Nitto Big Front rack.
All the best,
Kevin