WTB: Appaloosa 51cm and question about the 46cm size

RJ March

Jul 17, 2017, 5:12:20 PM7/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
This is my first post and I have been driven to it by a (mild) desperation. Here's the story: I was looking to buy a Riv bike and settled on the Joe Appaloosa. I went on the Riv website and was able to purchase a 51cm Hi Ho Silver Joe Appaloosa. Amazing! I thought. A week later, I got a call and sincere apology from Vince at Riv that this was a glitch in the system and they have no more 51cm Appaloosas, at all. Not so amazing, I thought.

I am now appealing to any of you all - any chance anyone out there wants to part ways with their 51cm Appaloosa?

Alternatively, since my PBH is 79, Riv offered me a 46cm Appaloosa. I think it would end up feeling like a pretty small bike. I would love to get in on the ride experience of the Appaloosa but not at the expense of fit. I have no Riv shops in my area. Has anyone been in a similar situation between the 46 and 51 Appaloosa?

I am thinking I will stick with a 51cm size and go with a Sam Hillborne, even though I am not a big fan of the caliper brake set up and would be somewhat limited on touring - though I read on here that the Sam can haul, too.

Kai Vierstra

Jul 17, 2017, 5:28:11 PM7/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Get a Clem. They ride great and load anything you've got, and with the money you save you'll be able to travel.
-Kai
BK NY

Chris Birkenmaier

Jul 17, 2017, 6:50:13 PM7/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well I have a 79 pbh and a proportionately longer torso. I have a 51 Joe and would never choose a 46 for myself. The 51 is a very good fit for me with a nice amount of seat post showing In other words the saddle is not slammed which I hate the looks of. I did notice for a time period that the 51's were showing as available on the website but I knew Rivendell had none actually in inventory. That's when I started calling around to dealers to find a 2017 silver. Found one at the Wheelhouse in LA so I lucked out. Most available back then were some random 2016's

Good luck with your search. Great bike to own!

Joe Bernard

Jul 17, 2017, 6:53:40 PM7/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm the same PBH and had a 51 joe (great bike, sold for various financial and not-riding-enough reasons). It was perfect for reach-back bars like Albatross, and rideable with drops on a short stem jacked way up, although too much of a stretch to the lower portion. I'm fairly certain I could ride a 46 with drops, if that helps with your decision.

Or get a Sam. It may be a stretch as a fully loaded touring bike, but it'll be fine for average commuter/day-ride loads.

Joe Bernard
Vallejo CA.

drew

Jul 17, 2017, 6:55:37 PM7/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Have you called the riv dealers to see what they have?
Also, I think you shouldn't get the Sam. Sam is a great great bike, but on a purchase this big, I'm not a fan of settling for the thing you didn't really want.

REC

Jul 17, 2017, 7:40:34 PM7/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Call all the dealers.  There's a new dealer in NH or Maine.  Perhaps they have one?  Look at Riv's web site for dealer listing.

Riv is in business to sell bikes and make people happy.  I think they'd have a lot more happy people with another run of Appaloosa's.  Boy, did they sell out fast!

Roberta

Will

Jul 17, 2017, 9:47:49 PM7/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Or... look for a 53cm Atlantis. :-) It's the beast.

J Imler

Jul 17, 2017, 11:04:48 PM7/17/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Have you contacted any other dealers? I visited Gravel and Grind in Maryland recently and saw Appaloosas on the floor.

RJ March

Jul 18, 2017, 11:00:03 AM7/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Good point, Drew. They do both seem like amazing bikes though.

RJ March

Jul 18, 2017, 11:00:13 AM7/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Atlantis looks amazing. It was a 5 month wait though and I am a cycle commuter in a 1 car family needing to replace my stolen bike asap. I had my GP-designed '92 Bridgestone RB-T stolen. That was a GREAT bike. I doubt I could find another bike with that classic geometry (no slanted tt), tubing so elegantly slender, and a ride so nimble with canti brakes and touring abilities. I road that thing in London traffic when I was living there and it did equally well weaving in and out of cars as it did on rough country paths in Hamstead Heath. I am now looking for something that will do well with all the hills in our new home - Seattle. Here's a photo of the Bridgestone if you are curious or somehow come across it:

IMG_2861.jpg

RJ March

Jul 18, 2017, 11:01:11 AM7/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I called around but haven't had any luck. Gravel and Grind hasn't gotten back to me yet though. They seem like a cool shop.

EasyRider

Jul 18, 2017, 1:36:03 PM7/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm in between sizes on the Appaloosa. I asked a fellow list member what the standover on his 51cm Appaloosa was; he measured 77.5cm with 42mm tires.

Joe Bernard

Jul 18, 2017, 3:04:38 PM7/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Based on the size of that RB-1 I think the 46 Appaloosa would work for you, especially if you're using Moustache/Albastache bars.

Jonathan D.

Jul 18, 2017, 3:41:06 PM7/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Clem is a similar bike and might work as well.

Chris Birkenmaier

Jul 18, 2017, 4:01:17 PM7/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I called all of the dealers lsted when I was looking for my 2017 Joe.  This was after the 51 went out of stock on the Riv site.  VERY few of them out there and like I mentioned a few left over 2016's but I'm guessing they are gone by now since it has been a few months now.  Several dealers were wishing they could have gotten more Joes in as there is quite a demand for them.  When I called the Wheelhouse they didn't have a 2017 on the floor but thought they might have some in back in boxes.  I completely lucked out that they had my size and my preferred color.  I really love this bike and it has settled my cravings for buying bikes.  (not easy to cure!)

REC

Jul 18, 2017, 5:22:37 PM7/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think I purchased the last 51 Joe A from Gravel and Grind (it IS a cool shop) in April, but if they have one, that would be great for you.  It's a wonderful bike!  My next favorite was the Atlantis, but that was out of my budget.   And, I don't even do any touring!

I have been looking for used Rivs on Craigslist, so I can keep a second bike at home.  I don't know much about Bridgestone bikes, but I've seen this for a few weeks and it's still available.  I *think* it's from one of our members and might be acceptable quick replacement:  https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/bik/d/bridgestone-xo/6202919510.html

Bridgestone XO-2 - $425 (Fairfax, VA)
< image 1 of 10 >
 1
 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

condition: excellent
make / manufacturer: Bridgestone
model name / number: XO-2

QR Code Link to This Post

Legendary 1992 Bridgestone XO-2 $425 52cm frame

This Pearl White example is almost completely original. The tires are not original and the specifications said the bike was originally equipped with presta tubes. The bike currently has schraeder valved tubes so it is likely the rims have been drilled to accomodate the larger "car type" valves. The rear rack is a Specialized branded one. Overall condition is very good.

Complete specifications and geometry can be found at the pdf file at the link below. XO-2 description on page 38 Geometry information is on page 47, Component specifications on page 49

http://sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone/1992/1992.pdf

If you're even looking at this ad, you likely know a little bit about the Bridgestone bikes of the early 90s and Grant Petersen. Grant Petersen currently runs Rivendell Bicycles and is well-known for promoting sensible (but not cheap) bicycles. The PDF file at the link is a 1992 Bridgestone catalog which has all sorts of interesting information on bicycle sizing, components, and materials.

We're asking real money for this bicycle and while we may entertain offers, we may not accept much below the listed price. The listed price is pretty much mid-range from what we've uncovered via the wonders of the internet. If you're seriously interested, contact us by email and set up a time to check out the bike with your own eyes. After you've inspected the bike you can always make an offer but, if it's not realistic, don't hold your breath expecting it to be accepted.

If the advertisement on Craigslist is up, then the bike is available. Thanks for looking!

REC

Jul 18, 2017, 5:24:44 PM7/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I meant keep a second bike for me at WORK.  This is too aggressive for me, so I've passed.  Perhaps good for you.

I have been looking for used Rivs on Craigslist, so I can keep a second bike at home.  I don't know much about Bridgestone bikes, but I've seen this for a few weeks and it's still available.  I *think* it's from one of our members and might be acceptable quick replacement:  https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/bik/d/bridgestone-xo/6202919510.html

RichS

Jul 18, 2017, 7:36:39 PM7/18/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
RJ, my PBH is 80. I have a 51 Sam and a 53 Atlantis. The Sam gives me a bit more stand over but both fit and ride beautifully. Sam has drop bars; Atlantis has Albatross.

As long as you get the right sizing, whatever Riv you purchase will be an enjoyable ride.

And two thumbs up for Hampstead Heath!

Best of luck in your search.
Richard

Davey Two Shoes

Jul 19, 2017, 8:50:22 PM7/19/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Classic geometry, canti brakes, nimble handling and classic looks? Dude you need to check out an all city space horse
Message has been deleted

drew

Jul 20, 2017, 2:05:09 PM7/20/17
to RBW Owners Bunch