Nitto Light Mount: Side question.

Edwin W

May 13, 2015, 12:59:40 PM5/13/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I love the light mount featured on the front. Like most things Nitto, it seems pricey for what it is, but I'll bet it does what it does better than anything else. I always struggle with light mounts on front racks that don't have a good tab for it.

Now my question is: for those in countries where you drive on the right, which side do you put your light on, if you have to sacrifice a little tire blockage on the other side?
Left so that those coming at you and turning left will see you better?
Right so that those turning on to your road from the right will see you?

Does it really matter?

I've got one bike with a centered light and one on the left, but then I saw a picture of Jan's bike with a light on the right and I know there is nothing on his bike that is not well thought out, unlike mine, where things get thrown places all the time without a real consideration for why or how.

Edwin

Bill Lindsay

May 13, 2015, 3:30:42 PM5/13/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I am 99% sure Jan runs his lamp on the left.  I always go center or left.  I got into a debate over it and I'm convinced it is splitting hairs either way.

Bill Lindsay

May 13, 2015, 3:35:07 PM5/13/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Here's one recent-ish photo of Jan's bike with the lamp on the left

Edwin W

May 13, 2015, 3:50:14 PM5/13/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Bill,

Pictures don't lie, but my memory does!

Maybe I was thinking of his riding companions:
early

Bill Lindsay

May 13, 2015, 3:58:02 PM5/13/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Haha.  Could be.

When I got in the debate, some folks from back East pointed out that deers randomly jumping out of the woods and into you are a big safety risk, so you should run the lamp on the right to see more of what's happening off the road to the right.  I can't say I was convinced that the argument was compelling.  Some others said that they can't handle having the QR lever and the light connectors on the same side, that their fingers get all tangled with one or the other.  Again, that really seemed like a stretch to me.  I prefer using one hand to hold the bike up, and the other hand to close the QR and deal with the wire connectors.

Splitting hairs, all around.  Now it's easier to just say "I do it like Jan does".

David Banzer

May 13, 2015, 5:20:33 PM5/13/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I would think as long as a bag or the front wheel doesn't obstruct the beam, that it really is splitting hairs as Bill says. The beams of the latest dynamo lights are very impressive and I would think mounting position shifted by a few inches (because that really is all it is) shouldn't matter. For visibility to motorists, I think reflective fabric/tape does the job.
David
Chicago

Kevin Lindsey

May 13, 2015, 6:19:54 PM5/13/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
For what it's worth, I put mine on the right side 'cause I'm right handed.  It's a small matter, but I find it easier to turn it off and on with my strong hand, especially when I'm at speed, riding over rough ground, or otherwise having to pay attention to where I'm going.   Of course, if you let the light run all the time, then I suppose it doesn't matter which side it goes on.
Kevin

Patrick Moore

May 13, 2015, 7:26:34 PM5/13/15
to rbw-owners-bunch
Right side, for me. I prefer to mount my lights above and centered to the fork crown, since this avoids a big wheel shadow, but in practice, mounting it on the right and below the top of the tire or fender, the shadow has not been a real problem. And as far as I can tell, the wheel presents little hindrance to visibility to oncoming traffic.

I like it on the right because it illuminates a little better the sometimes ragged and debris-strewn right edge of the road, which is always near my tire.

Clayton.sf

May 13, 2015, 7:47:26 PM5/13/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I am left guy myself. That being said in the past I have run it on teh right and it was fine too.

Chris Chen

May 14, 2015, 12:09:59 AM5/14/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Mine is on the right, partially because I was reading the old SON hubs need to have their spades on the right side. My hubs are new enough such that isn't an issue but oh well :)

"I want the kind of six pack you can't drink." -- Micah

William deRosset

May 15, 2015, 7:39:11 PM5/15/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Dear Edwin,

Jan H. has an explanation somewhere for why he prefers his light hanging left or right--based on his preferred position on the road and the reflective fog line.

As long as the light is situated properly (far enough forward, not too low), it doesn't matter to me. I've used both left and right-side mounts on my own racks (which place the light properly), and there isn't a whit of difference in visibility/illumination/driver reaction between them. Now, if your light is too low (a hanging mount on the recent Nitto rack for Compass brakes is too low, but that's what I had on the pile; my René Herse rack was designed before the modern-era LED lights came on the market, and it is too far back, both left-mount), then I prefer to have the objectionable shadow to the right (so a left mount). Again, there is only a noticeable difference between them sharp turns in the direction of the shadow.

Best Regards,

Will
William M. deRosset
Fort Collins, CO