Bike racks revisited

Kelly

Jul 27, 2015, 9:04:56 AM7/27/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have been looking at bike racks lately.   I've been very happy with the Thule double with tope tube hook.  The padding and such doesn't leave marks and has been a great tool over the last couple of years.  ( http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/products/carriers-and-racks/bike-carriers/hitch-mounted-bike-carriers/thule-doubletrack-2-bike-990xt-_-5776509 )  We have been looking for a new one and I found this swagman.   ( http://www.swagman.net/product/quad-22 )  which I really like as it will do what my Thule does and lets me add two more bikes.   We often tour with another couple so on the Van this would be a great setup for travel, I think .

So things I look at...

Will with mount without pushing down on fenders...   check
is it safe for paint..                                                       check
easy access to rear of vehicle                                     not so much / NO if bikes are on it.

I've used hanging racks and without pipe insulation to protect the tubes they have not worked out well for me.
The other up right racks tend to need to come down about where my front rack is or onto of the fender to hold it securely
The downtime racks don't like my third water bottle cage.
Roof racks are just too too much trouble when connected and disconnecting the dyno hub a taking the wheel off.. yes I'm spoiled and lazy.

Note on the swagman my plan would be to mount lights on it for brake turn etc when four bikes are on there traveling.. it sticks out a long ways.

I haven't bought anything yet but overall looking at the wheel trays... the 2+2 approach etc I haven't found anything as solid and useful as the swagman..

Kelly

Michael Hechmer

Jul 27, 2015, 9:25:35 AM7/27/15
to RBW Owners Bunch, tksl...@gmail.com
Kelly, I recently posted a very positive review of my new bike rack. Titled, I think, 1UpUSA and Rivs.  Photos here

Michael

WETH

Jul 27, 2015, 10:12:43 AM7/27/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Kelly,
I like that style rack too. Mine is a Hollywood http://m.hollywoodracks.com/hitch-rack-sport-rider-4.html
But it appears to be similar to your swagman model.
Safe cycling.
Erl

BenG

Jul 27, 2015, 12:03:19 PM7/27/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
After a recent group ride, parking neighbor and I started loading up our bike pairs concurrently, he to a hitch rack on a diesel Super Duty, me to F150 bed and back seat. I spread the blankets, laid mystery bike in the bed, rolled out and secured the bed cover, then removed 47cm Betty's front wheel and slid her onto the back seat. We drove away while neighbor was still racking his squishy mountain bikes. Keeping it real, truck style.

tksl...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2015, 12:30:07 PM7/27/15
to Michael Hechmer, RBW Owners Bunch
Michael

I saw that and saw the connection points on top of the fenders.  I'm glad it works well for you but it doesn't look to me to fit my needs.  I started a different thread as its a matter of personal preference and I didn't want to hijack a review or start a debate.

Kelly

Sent from my iPhone

Abcyclehank

Jul 27, 2015, 2:36:43 PM7/27/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
Kelly,

The swagman looks like a good option but did you see the bike limit of 45lbs each. Since you load your touring bikes (with everything but the kitchen sink-Just Kidding) riding at 70-90lbs you will need to empty all camera equipment, coffee brewing mediums, etc. before loading your monster rides.

Did you ever end up with a jumbo sized custom tandem or might you be interested in joining Amit and myself trying to persuade Grant to produce at least 3 in our size (66cm+ Captain).

Also contact me offline if you might want to land a (white rhino) before next year.

Sincerely,
Ryan Hankinson

Michael Hechmer

Jul 27, 2015, 7:44:52 PM7/27/15
to RBW Owners Bunch, tksl...@gmail.com
I think that if you look at the hollywood rack carefully you will see that it wants to be over the tire perpendicularly.  That suggest it will not work well with fenders.

Bike rack companies, all of them, claim their racks will work with all bikes, but they invariably show pictures of MTB w/out fenders or racks.

Michael

Tim Gavin

Jul 28, 2015, 12:02:37 AM7/28/15
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The Hollywood Sport Rider and Trail Rider racks have wheel trays and a padded bar that comes down over the top tube.  They are quite fender friendly.

Hollywood Racks aren't MUSA nor are they as nice as the fantastic racks from 1UpUSA.  But they're a step up from the super-cheapos and don't interfere with fenders or racks.

Tim

WETH

Jul 28, 2015, 7:19:07 AM7/28/15
to RBW Owners Bunch
I get four fendered bikes on my Hollywood rack easily. There is no interference for me