Riding with butterflies

Deacon Patrick

Jun 24, 2016, 5:13:17 PM6/24/16
to Rivendell Owners Rivendell Owners Group
What a magical summer ride! I wasn’t sure I’d make it past Woodland Park, but I made it round the Rampart-Schubarth Rd. loop.

On many of the climbs I had butterflies join me, resting in the pocket of air I pushed ahead of me even at my slow climbing speed. Eventually they’d be rested enough to shoot (embarrassingly easily) ahead, but a new one or two would then enter the pocket.

At some point on the single track round the pond, a ladybug landed on my handlebars and stowed away for 5 miles, exploring brake levers (not so smart) and every aspect of my handlebars and stem.

Mostly sunny, 70 and muggy for here at 35% humidity. Delicious weather for a ride (but then it all is, isn’t it? Grin.) A grand way to spend five hours!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/deaconpatrick/27270423354/in/album-72157666852892563/
(scroll right for the full set of today’s photos)

Jon in central Colorado

Jun 24, 2016, 5:33:46 PM6/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

Patrick,
Beautiful pics!!! Looks like you picked a day without rain and hail.
It's been about 20 years since I rode around Rampart Res.
I need to get up there.
Thanks for sharing.
Jon

Deacon Patrick

Jun 24, 2016, 5:43:48 PM6/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Let me know when you make it, and perhaps we can ride together. Just be warned I don't ride the South side, bailing for a loop to Schubarth at one of two places (the dam being the furthest one). I suspect the rain and hail are a coming. The view to the West was dark. Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick

Andrew Patteson

Jun 24, 2016, 10:42:24 PM6/24/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Lovely, just lovely!

Thank you for sharing these.

Andrew in SLC

René Sterental

Jun 25, 2016, 3:31:22 AM6/25/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Great photos!!!

bluebirdonabicycle

Jun 25, 2016, 4:05:42 PM6/25/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Does your bike have a two-toned paint job?

Deacon Patrick

Jun 25, 2016, 5:00:45 PM6/25/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Aye. Tri-tone if you count the mud! Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick
Message has been deleted

Abcyclehank

Jun 25, 2016, 6:53:57 PM6/25/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Mark,

I don't know Patrick other than through his amazingly inspiring posts about bicycling and brain injuries however given the choice of spending time cleaning his Hunq or Beem or riding he will always choose the latter.
So unless you are one of the few who visit this wise man in the realm of Colorado, scent free, and join him on a pleasant ride in a torrid rain storm that produces no mud or other dirty effects you are out of luck.
Therefore simple enjoy the man and his bikes for what they are beautifully blessed and used as only God sees fit for the Deacon.

Sincerely,
Ryan Hankinson
West Michigan

P.S. Nice to see Flicker pics again DP.

Deacon Patrick

Jun 25, 2016, 7:27:01 PM6/25/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey Mark! There's a word you used I'm unfamiliar with. "Cleaned"? Sardonic grin. Will pics from before the mud work? Grin. Here are two from the first few days I had it, March of 2012. Thanks for the opportunity to go down memory lane! You know that experience of looking through photos from when you were a wee bairn, and the photo is the only memory you have of _____? Without short term memory, that's what it's all like -- so going back was a wonderful gift!

Ha, Ryan! Thank you for the wonderful gift of what you wrote. Yes, the mud falls or washes off when the mud falls or washes off. Grin. Going back through the pictures, it's pretty clear that when I shifted to fatter knobbies without fenders, the mud really ramped up a level. I'm delighted you enjoy the photos.

With abandon,
Patrick

On Saturday, June 25, 2016 at 4:04:44 PM UTC-6, bluebirdonabicycle wrote:
Love to see a pix of the cleaned up version, the original two tone.

Deacon Patrick

Jun 25, 2016, 7:28:27 PM6/25/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Och! here's the link to the photos (scroll left for the second one):