New Riv Fixed/Single Speed in 2017???

John

Jul 26, 2016, 4:18:24 PM7/26/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
A friend told me they heard Riv has a fixed and/or single speed in the works for 2017.

For some reason, he refused to elaborate. Perhaps he is just full of processed cow fodder.

Has anyone here heard anything about this?

John

Lungimsam

Jul 26, 2016, 4:43:49 PM7/26/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
"Simply Quick"?
"One Beam"?

iamkeith

Jul 26, 2016, 4:58:08 PM7/26/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Having seen a few comments from Grant lately, to the effect of "if you want a single-speed, don't shift" I'd be surprised.

On the other hand, perhaps the "groovy thing that none of our other bikes has ever had," for the contemplated Roadini, is a track end dropout with a derailleur hanger attached?

Alas, I could speculate for ever, but speculation is all it would ever be.

Patrick Moore

Jul 26, 2016, 5:40:25 PM7/26/16
to rbw-owners-bunch
Oh, please don't use track ends! Use a superexcessivelylong "horizontal" dropout. So much easier!

I had C Mathews retrofit my '03 Riv custom with a longer-than-Campy-1010 dropout; and the 1010 replaced the original Riv vertical. Anyway, room for prolly 8 teeth difference.

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a circumference on the contours of which all conditions, distinctions, and individualities revolve. Chuang Tzu

Stat crux dum volvitur orbis. (The cross stands motionless while the world revolves.) Carthusian motto

It is we who change; He remains the same. Eckhart

Kinei hos eromenon. (It moves [all things] as the beloved.) Aristotle

Jeff Lesperance

Jul 26, 2016, 6:14:31 PM7/26/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Satan himself has clearly designed the track end- derailleur-hangered rear on my Surly Troll. Mixed with fenders, racks and <gasp> disc brakes it is highly functional and curse inducing. Be careful of the deal with the devil

Matt B.

Jul 26, 2016, 6:21:00 PM7/26/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well the quickbeam wide range 4 speed came stock with integrated digital shifting, with all internally routed muscles, though some people downgraded them to single speed.

Joe Bernard

Jul 26, 2016, 6:36:50 PM7/26/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think not. The two sorta-singlespeeds they tried to sell didn't, and only a crazy-person would ride one in the area RBW is located. (Yes, I've seen a Quickbeam on Mt. Diablo. That guy was crazy).

Bill Lindsay

Jul 26, 2016, 6:39:11 PM7/26/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I hope they use proper and correct vertical dropouts in the rear, as all bikes of all descriptions should have.  In order to make it single speed-able, they should use the eccentric BB from the HubbaHubbaH tandem!

You're welcome!

Bill cutting-the-Gordian-knot-with-Occams-razor Lindsay

dougP

Jul 26, 2016, 7:04:19 PM7/26/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Scroll up to the top of the list for a sticky with "Simplebeam" in the title.  This idea re-surfaces from time to time.

dougP

Eric Norris

Jul 26, 2016, 7:07:43 PM7/26/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Quickbeam on Mt Diablo? Barely crazy. Quickbeam over Monarch Pass? *That’s* crazy!

On Jul 26, 2016, at 3:36 PM, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:

I think not. The two sorta-singlespeeds they tried to sell didn't, and only a crazy-person would ride one in the area RBW is located. (Yes, I've seen a Quickbeam on Mt. Diablo. That guy was crazy).

Deacon Patrick

Jul 26, 2016, 7:36:53 PM7/26/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here's my furtherest ride up Pikes Peak (I did two rides, never made the top). Average grade of 8-9%, regular boutes of 10%, and one wee hair pin turn with stunning headwinds above tree line at 15%. I used my bail out rear of 22t. Grin. After doing this, everything is sane.

Monarch Pass is brutal for it length of climb and the volume of high speed traffic including high % of RV's, tourists, and semi trucks. Well done, Eric! My brain has blown up just trying to ride the Monarch Crest trail AWAY from the top of Monarch crest, because of the traffic noise. My poor family drove us 2 hours just for me to get messed up with all my bikepacking gear, turn around and go home. Talk about disappointed daughters who didn't get to go bikepacking. That is a busy corridor!

With abandon,
Patrick

Rutter

Jul 26, 2016, 7:45:22 PM7/26/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
An E.B.B. would allow for some degree of geometry tinker-ability for those so inclined, in addition to being a clean single speed solution...

Eric Norris

Jul 26, 2016, 7:52:24 PM7/26/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Going up from Gunnison was hard, descending down the other side to Salida was even worse. Probably the toughest descent I’ve ever done—miles and miles of hanging onto the brakes to keep from going too fast (and keeping my cadence at a safe level).

Pikes Peak looks fun. I hope to try that sometime.

Deacon Patrick

Jul 26, 2016, 8:04:30 PM7/26/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Och! Yes, SS v. Fixed would make a BIG difference on the descent, either direction. I don't recommend fixed for Pikes Peak. The descent is a BLAST, until you catch up to a line of white-knuckled lowlanders in their cars. Though it is surprising how may can be passed just with gravity acceleration. Sardonic grin.

With abandon,
Patrick

Eric Norris

Jul 26, 2016, 8:05:29 PM7/26/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a great ride for gears … or at least freewheel!

Deacon Patrick

Jul 26, 2016, 8:09:15 PM7/26/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yeah, but the climbing is far more delicious and silent SS than on my Hunqapillar that I only take the Hunqapillar when I know I'm pealing off on the singletrack. An early spring or late autumn ride means less traffic and the road is beautifully silent (but greater need of better clothing).

With abandon,
Patrick

ascpgh

Jul 26, 2016, 9:48:34 PM7/26/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Exactly. The closest to being killed while riding a bike was a rear flat on my geared disc Karate Monkey at 11 pm on a blowing, -9°F commute home.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

On Tuesday, July 26, 2016 at 2:18:24 PM UTC-6, John wrote:
A friend told me they heard Riv has a fixed and/or single speed in the works for 2017.

For some reason, he refused to elaborate. Perhaps he is just full of processed cow fodder.

Has anyone here heard anything about this?

John

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten
The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a circumference on the contours of which all conditions, distinctions, and individualities revolve. Chuang Tzu

Stat crux dum volvitur orbis. (The cross stands motionless while the world revolves.) Carthusian motto

It is we who change; He remains the same. Eckhart

Kinei hos eromenon. (It moves [all things] as the beloved.) Aristotle

IanA

Jul 27, 2016, 2:13:22 AM7/27/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Quick One

S. Greco

Jul 28, 2016, 1:32:06 PM7/28/16
to RBW Owners Bunch

I'll just leave this here for those visualizing the horizontal drop with derailer hanger.

Can attest that it works great.

George Schick

Jul 28, 2016, 1:52:01 PM7/28/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Not too many years ago I used to see a lot tweenie kids riding around on 20" bikes that resembled BMX with the saddle mounted all the way down to the top tube so they had to stand up most of the time while peddling, if they didn't want their knees banging into their chins.  I stopped one of 'em on the trail once and asked him what that business was all about.  He said they have their saddles like that so they can do "tricks."  I looked closely at his bike and indeed saw that it had more heavily spoked wheels, a circular gizmo that slid up and down the head tube with the front brake cables attached to either side so the wheel could be turned 360 degrees, and axle mounted pegs on the front and rear wheels where one could stand while doing "stunts."  Funny thing is that I never once saw any one of them doing stunt riding - it was apparent just a status symbol for that age group.

That same demographic, now in high school, seems to have lashed onto "pimped out" fixies decked out in all sorts of pastel frame, wheel, saddle, and drive train colors.  Apparently just another status symbol because I never see any of 'em actually doing any head's down riding on them; just hanging with the crowd at their favorite gathering places.  Not sure how many bike companies are trying to jump onto that bandwagon before that fad passes, as well.

S. Greco

Jul 28, 2016, 2:11:24 PM7/28/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm not sure the Riv single speed efforts came any where close to pandering to the fixie crowd, but I do share your confusion about the trend. So many people rolling around on fixed skinny tired track bikes when theres not a track nor velodrome nearby but plenty of potholed roads. I think one of the most interesting parts of trends like the fixed/ss craze is when they reach the walmart demographic and you find some bike named "the fixie" decked out in all matching lime green parts or something on the shelves of your local big box stores. I often wonder if there will be a time in which the rando renaissance will make it that far and we will see racked-out fendered big tire bikes at your local walmart - i severely doubt it but it's hilarious to me as a hypothetical. One thing that really makes me laugh about the rando trend is that if it comes to pass as most trends do, it will have left many useful bikes in the world as opposed to some other fads such as certain bmx, fixie, racers which left behind only highly specialized / limited use bikes.

sameness

Jul 28, 2016, 2:43:01 PM7/28/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Dunno man, I see a whole lot of sub-$300 fat bikes from Walmart out on the road these days. Pot metal MAFACs and cast 'n cottered Cyclotouriste knock-offs are probably not too far behind.

Jeff Hagedorn
Los Angeles, CA USA

Philip Williamson

Jul 28, 2016, 2:56:55 PM7/28/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I resemble that remark! I've ridden my Quickbeam up Mt Diablo. It was hard, and I did switch to the freewheel for the descent.

I'm pro track ends for ease of fat-tired wheel removal, anti EBB if you want to change gears mid-ride (or without a work stand), pro fixed gear, anti disc brakes, anti-IGH, pro-derailleurs, and pro Rat Trap Pass tires. Anti(ish)-fenders.

The Riv singlespeeds did sell, I mean, they're out of stock, right? :^)
If I wanted to replace my Quickbeam, I'd buy a Legolas and ask for the track ends, or just use an ENO hub.

Philip

Joe Bernard

Jul 28, 2016, 4:02:12 PM7/28/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
Philip, you may be the one I met on a Riv Ride about 10 years ago. The fellow was on a new green Quickbeam, and seemed a little taken aback by how steep that hill is. It's steep!

Allingham II, Thomas J. (Retired Partner)

Jul 28, 2016, 4:18:47 PM7/28/16
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
+1 for the ENO hub. Terrific concept, perfectly executed. I have one on my single speed Wilbury, and I love it.

Sent from my iPhone

The sender of this email is a retired partner of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP ("Skadden") and is not performing legal service on behalf of Skadden. Use by a retired partner of the skadden.com or probonolaw.com domain names is in his/her personal capacity and not on behalf of Skadden or its affiliates.

Ryan Fleming

Philip Williamson

Aug 8, 2016, 2:21:52 PM8/8/16
to RBW Owners Bunch
I believe you are correct (Hi!) - I'd flog up a couple turns pushing hard out of the saddle, and then pant in the shade while everyone passed me. Over and over.
For the downhill, I mounted a freewheel and coasted.

Philip