OpenSprinkler and MCV Vera2

ramblin' guy

Aug 8, 2012, 10:42:30 AM8/8/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
I've been looking at sprinkler controllers to interface with my MiCasaVerde Vera2 home controller, and I've been drawn to the idea of OpenSprinkler.  I have a few thoughts that I have to process before I pull the trigger - maybe someone on this forum has some insight.

I have an older Weathermatic sprinkler controller.  I've been looking at EtherRain and IrrigationCaddy as possible solutions, mainly because of the user interface potential.  MCV Vera2 has a plugin for EtherRain (though I'm not sure how good it is) and there is a web-based control system for it as well.

What I like about OpenSprinkler:
- it's Arduino based - I can change things once I figure out how to use Arduino code
- I could put the PCB inside of my existing irrigation control panel and wire them in parallel retaining 'manual' control of the system
- it's open-source and I like the spirit of being open-sourced - as one other poster said there's a Zen thing with crafting your own and making it.

Does anyone else have any experience using this with a home controller?  Is it hard to interface?

Joe Chiarelli

Aug 9, 2012, 9:50:19 AM8/9/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
I am building the open sprinkler and when completed I plan to develope a plugin for micasaverde Vera 2.
I've implemented some basic HTML commands to my Vera 2 devices, and from what I've rad on the HTML command on the open sprinkler, I think I might be able to get it to work.

Jim H

Aug 19, 2012, 11:09:17 PM8/19/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
Please keep us posted, Joe.  I've been looking into getting an MCV as well and would love to integrate opensprinkler into it.

Joe Chiarelli

Aug 28, 2012, 3:09:26 PM8/28/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
The unit is built. As soon as I verify all is working, Ill post how the plugin is going.

ramblin' guy

Aug 29, 2012, 2:42:19 PM8/29/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com

I'm getting closer to having mine built.  I am waiting for some parts and then I should be ready to flash the unit.  I'm getting a little nervous just because of my ever developing solder skills and never having done this before, but I'm excited to see it fire up.

I'm also excited to hear when you get the MCV plugin going.  Keep up the good work.

Joe Chiarelli

Aug 29, 2012, 2:47:30 PM8/29/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
Mine is completed and working as of today. Ive played with sending the status and turning on/off the zones via http commands, so now I will start on the MCV plugin. It would be so awesome to get this completed.

ramblin' guy

Oct 23, 2012, 8:05:21 PM10/23/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
Hey Joe,

Did you have any luck with building the MCV plugin for OpenSprinkler?  I just got my OpenSprinkler working, so I'm looking at how hard it is to integrate with Vera.  I've never written a plugin before, so I'm sure there's a learning curve.

Jim

Joseph Chiarelli

Oct 24, 2012, 12:02:49 PM10/24/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
No luck yet with the actual plugin. Ive been able to turn the sprinkler valves on/off with the language the MCV uses though.