Cannot read custom threshold consensus with FigTree

Frank Stokvis

Jan 17, 2017, 5:15:21 AM1/17/17
to raxml
Hi all,

I'm trying to create a 60% cut-off consensus tree with RAxML form a previous run using:

raxmlHPC -J T_60 -z RAxML_bootstrap.Bootstraps -m GTRCAT -n 60 > STDOUT.consensus.log

The file created gives the following FigTree error:

Number format error: For input string: "1.0[62]"

My questions:
- Am I doing this correctly?
- Which of the previous run files do I exactly need?
- Is the following solution the only one?

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/raxml/Gij0QBZmszA

the consensus trees produced by RAxML follow the format
":length[support]", which is not supported in figtree (and maybe also
in treeedit?). Dendroscope and Treeview should be able to open these
files, though. If you prefer figtree (like I do), you can use a work
around:
open the consensus treefile in a text editor that is able to handle
regular expressions (I use on mac "textwrangler" and on pc "notepad+
+") and open the replace function and exchange every

([:]\d+[.]\d+)[[](\d+)[]]

for

\2\1

afterwards figtree is able to read your file.

Cheers,

Frank

RAxML_Threshold-60-ConsensusTree.60

Alexandros Stamatakis

Jan 17, 2017, 5:25:05 AM1/17/17
to ra...@googlegroups.com
> I'm trying to create a 60% cut-off consensus tree with RAxML form a
> previous run
> <https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9VULIBkJsrEYU1GS3NJQWhpZms?usp=sharing>
> using:
>
> raxmlHPC -J T_60 -z RAxML_bootstrap.Bootstraps -m GTRCAT -n 60 >
> STDOUT.consensus.log
>
> The file created gives the following FigTree error:
>
> Number format error: For input string: "1.0[62]"
>
> My questions:
> - Am I doing this correctly?

yes ...

> - Which of the previous run files do I exactly need?

you mean of RAxML? the call is correct.

> - Is the following solution the only one?

yes, I am afraid,

alexis

> /https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/raxml/Gij0QBZmszA
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/#%21topic/raxml/Gij0QBZmszA>/
> /
> /
> /the consensus trees produced by RAxML follow the format
> ":length[support]", which is not supported in figtree (and maybe also
> in treeedit?). Dendroscope and Treeview should be able to open these
> files, though. If you prefer figtree (like I do), you can use a work
> around:
> open the consensus treefile in a text editor that is able to handle
> regular expressions (I use on mac "textwrangler" and on pc "notepad+
> +") and open the replace function and exchange every
>
> ([:]\d+[.]\d+)[[](\d+)[]]
>
> for
>
> \2\1
>
> afterwards figtree is able to read your file. /
>
> Cheers,
>
> Frank
>
> --

Alexandros (Alexis) Stamatakis

Research Group Leader, Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies
Full Professor, Dept. of Informatics, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
Adjunct Professor, Dept. of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University
of Arizona at Tucson

www.exelixis-lab.org

Frank Stokvis

Jan 17, 2017, 5:55:11 AM1/17/17
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Dear Alexis,

Thank you for you quick reply!

Cheers,

Frank Stokvis
Senior research technician

071-5271912
Sylviusweg 72, 2333 BE Leiden, room 6.4.17, ma, di, do, vr
frank....@naturalis.nl, www.science.naturalis.nl