RAxML-EPA -G option

Alicia S. Arroyo

Aug 10, 2016, 4:17:19 AM8/10/16
to raxml

Hello all,

I have a quick question about EPA, but I couldn't find a proper answer on this google group.

I usually call EPA with this command, as an example:
raxmlHPC-PTHREADS -f v -G 0.2 -m GTRCATI -n EPA -s file.fasta -t RAxML_bestree.tre -T 6

I tried to figure out was -G option means. The RAxML manual says " -G: enable the ML-based evolutionary placement algorithm heuristics by specifiying a threshold value (fraction of insertions branches to be evaluated using slow insertions under ML)"

So, does this threshold value, 0.2 in this case, mean that only 20% of the insertions of each short read are considered? Because if this is the case, I would like this value to be 1 because I want a evaluation of all the insertions, right? I can't understand why someone wouldn't like to consider all the posible insertions of the short sequences in the reference tree.

But also, this sentence could be also understood as: only 20% of the reference branches in the reference tree are considered... but this doesn't really make sense.

Any more complete explanation for this sentence, please?

Thank you very much!

A.

Alexey Kozlov

Aug 10, 2016, 6:59:24 AM8/10/16
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alicia,

so first of all, please note that "-G" option is a mere performance optimization - so on small datasets (and small
reference trees in particular) you can safely disable it.

This optimization works as follows:

- In the first "pre-scoring" step, all queries are inserted in all branches of the reference tree *without* optimizing
the branch lengths.

- Then, only 20% (-G 0.2) of the best-scoring branches *for each query* are re-evaluated more thoroughly, by doing
re-insertions with branch length optimization.

This saves quite some time, since optimizing the branches is rather expensive compared to the simple likelihood evaluation.

Hope I clarified it a bit...

Cheers,
Alexey

Alicia S. Arroyo

Aug 10, 2016, 7:08:51 AM8/10/16
to raxml

Hi Alexey,

Thank you very much, this is exactly what I needed :) Clear now!

Thanks!!!!

A.