Link to source code?

Kurt Wollenberg

Oct 14, 2016, 12:20:36 PM10/14/16
to raxml
Hello:

Perhaps I am being particularly dense, but I cannot find a link to the RAxML source code on the github page (https://github.com/stamatak/standard-RAxML). I see links to all of the Makefiles and folders for Windows executables, etc. but no source code. How do I get to the source code from here so I can proceed with my RAxML installation?

Cheers,
Kurt Wollenberg

lucas...@h-its.org

Oct 14, 2016, 12:28:45 PM10/14/16
to raxml
Hi Kurt,

the code files (with the extensions *.h and *.c) are all below those Makefiles, right in the main directory of the github repository that you linked to. In order to proceed with the RAxML installation, simply click the green "Clone or Download" button on the upper right part of the page, then download the zip file. If you extract this into a folder, you will (hopefully) find all the files that you also see on the repository page (Makefiles, and source files). From then, follow the instructions as given in the README.

Lucas

Kurt Wollenberg

Oct 14, 2016, 2:58:38 PM10/14/16
to raxml
Hi Lucas:

Thank you very much for this explanation. Too bad the documentation implies that one will download the file "standard-RAxML-8.0.0.tar.gz", rather than explaining how to use github for those of us who aren't familiar with it. Also, searching through the google group archive I did find a link to the gzipped file, but could not figure out how to get there from the link to "Source Code" provided on Professor Exelixis' page.

lucas...@h-its.org

Oct 14, 2016, 3:08:09 PM10/14/16
to raxml
Hi Kurt,

well, now you know where to click on GitHub ;-)
Also, better do not use links to code from the Google Group archive, as they might be old. See here http://sco.h-its.org/exelixis/web/software/raxml/index.html for the latest news around RAxML, and always use the GitHub page to get the latest source code!

Lucas

PS: The Lab is called "Exelixis", which is the Greek word for evolution. The professor behind it is Alexandros (Alexis) Stamatakis: http://sco.h-its.org/exelixis/web/personal_page/alexis/index.html