No best tree generated when I use AVX on an HPC system.

Ramona Walls

Jul 28, 2015, 7:58:56 PM7/28/15
to raxml
I am running RAxML on the Stampede cluster at TACC. I have compiled three versions: raxmlHPC-HYBRID-AVX, raxmlHPC-MPI-AVX, raxmlHPC-SSE3.

When I conduct multiple searches for the best tree using SSE3, I get a best tree (e.g., RAxML_bestTree.T6). When I do the same exact analysis using MPI-AVX or HYBRID AVX, still get all the output _log, _parsimonyTree, and _result files, but no bestTree file.

Here is an example command:
../raxmlHPC-MPI-AVX -m GTRGAMMA -p 12345 -s dna.phy -# 20 -T 16 -n T6

I have tried this with several input files, including dna.phy, and it is reproducible.

I would really like to be able to use HYBRID AVX, because it is considerably faster in the benchmarks I ran.

Alexandros Stamatakis

Jul 29, 2015, 3:06:57 AM7/29/15
to ra...@googlegroups.com
that's weird, but without the associated error message that you get for
the AVX version I can't help you,

alexis
> --

Alexandros (Alexis) Stamatakis

Research Group Leader, Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies
Full Professor, Dept. of Informatics, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
Adjunct Professor, Dept. of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University
of Arizona at Tucson

www.exelixis-lab.org

Ramona Walls

Jul 29, 2015, 8:07:03 PM7/29/15
to ra...@googlegroups.com
There are no errors (i.e. the standard error files are empty), but as you can see in the attached standard output files, the SSE run generates a best tree, but the MPI-AVX and HYB-AVX runs stop after writing the results files.

Ramona

Ramona L. Walls, Ph.D.
Scientific Analyst, The iPlant Collaborative, University of Arizona
Research Associate, Bio5 Institute, University of Arizona
Laboratory Research Associate, New York Botanical Garden

sse.5562704.out
avx.5562717.out
hyb.5562695.out

Alexandros Stamatakis

Jul 30, 2015, 2:48:13 AM7/30/15
to ra...@googlegroups.com
dear ramona,

could you maybe update to raxml v 8.2.0, several bugs have been fixed in
this version,

alexis

On 30.07.2015 02:06, Ramona Walls wrote:
> There are no errors (i.e. the standard error files are empty), but as
> you can see in the attached standard output files, the SSE run generates
> a best tree, but the MPI-AVX and HYB-AVX runs stop after writing the
> results files.
>
> Ramona

> Ramona L. Walls, Ph.D.
> Scientific Analyst, The iPlant Collaborative, University of Arizona
> Research Associate, Bio5 Institute, University of Arizona
> Laboratory Research Associate, New York Botanical Garden
>
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 12:06 AM, Alexandros Stamatakis
> <alexandros...@gmail.com
> <mailto:raxml%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> <mailto:raxml+un...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:raxml%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
>

> --
> Alexandros (Alexis) Stamatakis
>
> Research Group Leader, Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies
> Full Professor, Dept. of Informatics, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
> Adjunct Professor, Dept. of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University
> of Arizona at Tucson
>
> www.exelixis-lab.org <http://www.exelixis-lab.org>

Ramona Walls

Jul 30, 2015, 12:22:55 PM7/30/15
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Ok. I will do that and see if it fixed the problem.
Thanks!

Enviado de Baja Arizona.

Alexandros Stamatakis

Jul 31, 2015, 3:57:45 AM7/31/15