Default amount of ML searches when using the -f a option

Allison Fuiten

May 19, 2016, 1:32:46 PM5/19/16
to raxml
Hi!

I have, hopefully, a pretty quick & simple question.

I am using the rapid bootstrapping option (-f a) when I'm using RAxML with the following command:

raxmlHPC-PTHREADS -s 032316_partition_aln.fasta -n 032316a_uce -m GTRGAMMA -T 10 -p 1986 -# 1000 -x 1986 -f a -q 032316_partitions.txt

I thought that this will result in 1000 rapid Bootstrap searches based on the -# flag and 20 ML searches by default, but the RAxML_info file seems to indicate that it only does 10 ML searches. Am I misinterpreting the RAxML.info file or is 10 ML searches the default? How would I specify 20 ML searches under the -f a flag setting?

If you could clarify this for me, I would really appreciate it!

Thank you,

Allison

Fidel Botero

May 19, 2016, 5:17:52 PM5/19/16
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Hello Allison,

You can find the answer in Fig 2 of the paper describing the fast boostraping (see link below). Long story short, a fast ML search is first conducted starting on every 5th tree of the bootstrapped ones, and the best 10 results are kept to perform a slow ML search.

Cheers,

Fidel

Fidel Botero-Castro

Allison Fuiten

May 19, 2016, 6:09:24 PM5/19/16
to raxml
Hi Fidel!

Thank you so much. Figure 2 totally cleared things up for me.

Cheers,

Allison