libwinpthread-dll Error Running Windows Executable

Christopher Kan

Nov 10, 2015, 6:25:40 PM11/10/15
to raxml
Hello,

I am trying to run RAxML v8.2 on a Windows 10 x64 computer. I downloaded raxmlHPC-PTHREADS-SSE3.exe and raxmlHPC-PTHREADS-AVX.exe to try them both. I get the same error "The program can't start because libwinpthread-1.dll is missing...". I have mingw on my computer and it is part of my path. How can I fix this error?

Thanks!
Chris

William Gearty

Nov 10, 2015, 6:31:48 PM11/10/15
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Did you also download the dll file in this folder?
If that doesn't work, could you try downloading one of the non-PTHREADS versions and try running that?
-Will

Christopher H. Kan

Nov 13, 2015, 11:32:14 PM11/13/15
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Downloading a non-pthreads version worked. Thanks!

cool_a...@web.de

Jan 15, 2016, 5:23:58 AM1/15/16
to raxml
Find it here: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/raxml/N5sftmrjSxw/6m7VwMd6DwAJ
Do not download anything from somwehere in the net, these versions will not work.

Ingo Michalak

Jan 15, 2016, 11:31:50 AM1/15/16
to raxml
Hello folks,
here are some exes, that I just cross-compiled from linux. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yhwdk2szizs1e1w/AAD5dOIOE9rPkpVd5KW1XjKGa?dl=0

They (also the PTHREADS versions) should work without the dlls. Please let me know if they don't, but please make sure you use the right version.

rule of thumb:
brand new high edge computer: use AVX2
pretty new computer use AVX
2years+ computer: use SSE3
4years+ computer: use standard exes

(just a guess about the ages! Try out from top if unsure, first mentions are faster than lower ones)

cheers!

William Gearty

Jan 15, 2016, 11:35:16 AM1/15/16
to ra...@googlegroups.com
RAxML Windows Executables are also available on github:

Ingo Michalak

Jan 15, 2016, 11:43:05 AM1/15/16
to raxml
Yes, but these depend on the .dll files from cygwin or MinGW (and one of them seems to be missing on GitHub. I read here from Christopher and it was confirmed by a colleague of mine that they don't work as is). I also didn't find a way to produce static exes on Windows (using cygwin). But cross compiling this seems to be possible, if you could test my files, please, to confirm?

Cheers

William Gearty

Jan 15, 2016, 11:45:44 AM1/15/16
to ra...@googlegroups.com
I'm not aware of one of the dll's missing, the executables on github work for me.
I'll give your compiled executables a try when I get a chance.

Ingo Michalak

Jan 15, 2016, 11:49:37 AM1/15/16
to raxml
Just read Christophers first message in this thread... The libraries are possibly available system-wide when you have cygwin installed. So you might have to try yours on a system without MinGW/cygwin.

Ingo Michalak

Jan 28, 2016, 10:08:47 AM1/28/16
to raxml
I just had the chance to test my compiled files and they didn't work neither without the dll files (because I confused 32bit and 64bit libraries... d'Oh).
Here now a link to working (at least on the system I tested them on) PTHREADS versions of RAxML 8.2.4 for Windows:

Best regards.

Alexandros Stamatakis

Jan 29, 2016, 3:32:41 AM1/29/16
to ra...@googlegroups.com
hi ingo,

can I add these files to the raxml repository?

thanks,

alexis
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>

> --
> William Gearty
> people.stanford.edu/wgearty
> <http://people.stanford.edu/wgearty>
>
> --
>

> --
> William Gearty
> people.stanford.edu/wgearty <http://people.stanford.edu/wgearty>
>
> --

Alexandros (Alexis) Stamatakis

Research Group Leader, Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies
Full Professor, Dept. of Informatics, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
Adjunct Professor, Dept. of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University
of Arizona at Tucson

www.exelixis-lab.org

Ingo Michalak

Jan 30, 2016, 6:33:00 AM1/30/16
to raxml
Sorry for the delay. Of course, go ahead!

cheers

Pure Virtual

Mar 14, 2016, 8:34:02 AM3/14/16
to raxml
Hey guys!

I guess the problem is just the file name mismatch. According to the error message the dll is expected to be libwinpthread-1.dll although the file on Github is named pthreadGC2.dll. Just rename it and it will work alright.

However it's good to see updated Windows binaries. Gonna test if AVX2 version works for me and whether it runs faster than AVX. Thanks a lot! :-)

Ingo Michalak

Mar 14, 2016, 9:54:04 AM3/14/16
to raxml
Hi,
I don't belive this is a file name issue. Both .dll files do exist and are different libraries. And I also think to remember that there were more libraries missing, libwinpthread-1.dll was just the first one it checks for. However, I took this as an occasion to compile new exes, as I saw there were some bug fixes in the mean time: https://goo.gl/EpWaKl (version 8.2.7, compiled on March, 14th, 2016). Please let me know if they work, I don't have access to a windows machine atm, so I can't test them.

Alexis, of course you can include them again, if you want.

Cheers

Олег

Mar 14, 2016, 5:47:21 PM3/14/16
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Ingo, I'm afraid it's not a matter of belief, it's just the way I run RAxML on Windows all the time (including nearly clean Win 7 and Win 10 installations).

Briefly tested your today's build, all versions seem to work fine for me. Thanks a lot!
BTW, I guess it even lacks the famous “negative time” feature of the original binaries. Hallelujah! =)
__
Cheers,
 Oleg

Alexandros Stamatakis

Mar 17, 2016, 4:28:12 AM3/17/16
to ra...@googlegroups.com
just added it to the github repo, thanks ... please note that, I will
try to work on the code frequently this month, hence you may want to
wait a bit with updating the windows executables until I am done ...

alexis