RAxML 8 running slow?

Olaf R.P. Bininda-Emonds

Nov 29, 2016, 2:35:46 PM11/29/16
to raxml
Hi Alexis,

We've had some discussion about this before, but I do think that RAxML 8 is running slow for me in general and definitely slower than it ought to be.

As a test, I gave RAxML v7.2.8 and v.8.2.9 the exact same matrix to chew on: 728 taxa and 16491 bp divided among 33 partitions and with no gaps other than those needed for the alignment (i.e., all 33 genes are present for all 728 taxa). After about eight hours, SSE-PTHREADS with T = 12 has completed 33 of 500 fast bootstrap replicates for v7 and one-third LESS (only 24!) for v8, both compiled on the same machine in the same way. Each node on the cluster does have 12 CPUs and each set of 12 is dedicated to the single task.

I know that PTHREADS is tricky sometimes depending on the number of partitions (18 of which here are really small: < 100 bp) and distinct patterns, but should it really be this slow and should v8 really be that much slower than v7?!

Best,

Olaf

Alexey Kozlov

Nov 29, 2016, 3:02:58 PM11/29/16
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Olaf,

just my 2 cents: I don't know the reason for the performance discrepancy you are observing, but I'm pretty sure that you
can get much better runtimes if you use MPI version of RAxML. RAxML-MPI parallelizes across BS replicates (and not
alignment patterns), which will be more efficient on a dataset like this.

Best,
Alexey

Olaf R.P. Bininda-Emonds

Nov 29, 2016, 3:17:44 PM11/29/16
to raxml
Thanks Alexey,

Have never used the MPI version, but I might give it a shot after / if these analyses finish.

PTHREADS is definitely needed for this one though because of the number of alignment patterns: 14000+. Interestingly, however, the two versions also disagree as to the number of alignment patterns: 14342 for v7 and 14331 for v8, but I assume that this might have been a bug that was squashed in the meantime?

Cheers,

Olaf

---

Alexey Kozlov

Nov 29, 2016, 3:35:29 PM11/29/16
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Olaf,

> PTHREADS is definitely needed for this one though because of the number of alignment patterns: 14000+. Interestingly,
> however, the two versions also disagree as to the number of alignment patterns: 14342 for v7 and 14331 for v8, but I
> assume that this might have been a bug that was squashed in the meantime?

most probably, and since version 7 is *really* old, I wouldn't recommend using it even if it's faster :)

Best,
Alexey
> <javascript:>
> > <mailto:raxml+un...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.

Alexandros Stamatakis

Nov 30, 2016, 3:12:51 AM11/30/16
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Dear Olaf,

There have been so many and partially very important bug fixes since
v7.2.8 that you should just not use 7.2.8 any more.

As a consequence of those fixes RAxML might indeed have become slower
for certain parameter combinations and dataset types.

Alexis

On 29.11.2016 20:35, Olaf R.P. Bininda-Emonds wrote:
> --

Alexandros (Alexis) Stamatakis

Research Group Leader, Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies
Full Professor, Dept. of Informatics, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
Adjunct Professor, Dept. of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University
of Arizona at Tucson

www.exelixis-lab.org

Olaf R.P. Bininda-Emonds

Nov 30, 2016, 1:46:24 PM11/30/16
to raxml
Hi Alexis,

It was mostly just curiosity on my part because I had the feeling that RAxML 8 was running slower than I remembered 7 to be. I'm just surprised that it is in fact slower because you tend to tweak the speed of RAxML with each release and am especially surprised by just how much slower it is!

Any chance of re-introducing a few bugs in the next version to speed it up again? ;)

Best,

Olaf

---

Alexandros Stamatakis

Nov 30, 2016, 2:23:44 PM11/30/16
to ra...@googlegroups.com
hi olaf,

> It was mostly just curiosity on my part because I had the feeling that
> RAxML 8 was running slower than I remembered 7 to be. I'm just surprised
> that it is in fact slower because you tend to tweak the speed of RAxML
> with each release and am especially surprised by just how much slower it is!

well, just wait for the release of the complete raxml re-design that
will be faster again ...

> Any chance of re-introducing a few bugs in the next version to speed it
> up again? ;)

easy, we can just have it return random trees, that will be fast :-) and
be in line with the garbage in garbage out strategy

alexis
> > an email to raxml+un...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
> > <mailto:raxml+un...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>
> --
> Alexandros (Alexis) Stamatakis
>
> Research Group Leader, Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies
> Full Professor, Dept. of Informatics, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
> Adjunct Professor, Dept. of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology,
> University
> of Arizona at Tucson
>
> www.exelixis-lab.org <http://www.exelixis-lab.org>

George Pacheco

Jan 4, 2017, 11:17:32 AM1/4/17
to raxml
Hej Alexis,

Sorry for coming with so many question recently, but I was just wondering if you would have any estimation of when RaxML will be running fast again (due to whatever reason it got slow). I have also noticed a huge difference regarding the running time, which I fear will make my analyse unpractical considering my limited timeframe.

Thanks very much in advance, George.

Alexandros Stamatakis

Jan 4, 2017, 11:25:52 PM1/4/17
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Dear George,

The completely re-designed RAxML will be released for sure in January.

All the best,

Alexis

George Pacheco

Jan 5, 2017, 4:51:33 AM1/5/17