Distinct alignment patterns

Agathe Jouet

Mar 15, 2018, 8:52:34 AM3/15/18
to raxml
Hi all,

I have a nucleotide alignment with 694 SNPs, from 30 individuals. All my sites are variable (in at least one individual).
However, when I check the RaxML log file, I can see the following sentence:
Alignment has 65 distinct alignment patterns
I am not sure how RaxML gets to this number.

Could someone explain please?

Many thanks,

Agathe

Alexey Kozlov

Mar 15, 2018, 6:02:26 PM3/15/18
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Agathe,

there is no contradiction here, since distinct alignment patterns are *unique* alignment *columns* (not to be confused
with constant/invariant columns).

Consider the following toy alignment:

AAA
AAC
TTC

It has 3 columns, all variable, but since columns 1 and 2 are identical, there are only 2 unique alignment patterns.

Best,
Alexey