EPA retaining input tree bootstraps for final figure?

Andy Funk

Mar 8, 2017, 1:00:22 PM3/8/17
to raxml
Hello Alexis et al.,

Thanks for RAxML, it has been tremendously useful.

I have generated a tree of ~200 nucleotide sequences representing a large gene family from my species. I'm placing well-known homologs from other species on the final tree using EPA so that the clades can easily be identified in the figure (if I add them to the initial tree construction it destabilizes the tree, and this all-in-one analysis is not useful to the point of the paper). Is there any way to retain input tree BS values in the final RAxML_labelledTree.xx file? This was discussed in another post here two years ago but I haven't seen any follow-up. Your suggestion at the time was simply to display the tree twice, one with BS values and no outgroups, and the second one with outgroups and no BS values.

Does my reasoning and goal make sense? Are there any new strategies for addressing this issue?

Thanks a bunch.

Alexandros Stamatakis

Mar 9, 2017, 10:38:55 AM3/9/17
to ra...@googlegroups.com, Czech, Lucas
Dear Andy,

> Thanks for RAxML, it has been tremendously useful.

:-)

> I have generated a tree of ~200 nucleotide sequences representing a
> large gene family from my species. I'm placing well-known homologs from
> other species on the final tree using EPA so that the clades can easily
> be identified in the figure (if I add them to the initial tree
> construction it destabilizes the tree, and this all-in-one analysis is
> not useful to the point of the paper). Is there any way to retain input
> tree BS values in the final RAxML_labelledTree.xx file?

Unfortunately not, but Lucas Genesis toolkit might be able to do
something like this, Lucas?

> This was
> discussed in another post here two years ago but I haven't seen any
> follow-up. Your suggestion at the time was simply to display the tree
> twice, one with BS values and no outgroups, and the second one with
> outgroups and no BS values.

Yes, I am afraid that this is still the solution I'd suggest, one tree
with placements and one tree with BS values.

> Does my reasoning and goal make sense?

Yes that sounds find.

> Are there any new strategies for
> addressing this issue?

Maybe Lucas can help with this.

Alexis

> Thanks a bunch.
>
> --

Alexandros (Alexis) Stamatakis

Research Group Leader, Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies
Full Professor, Dept. of Informatics, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
Adjunct Professor, Dept. of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University
of Arizona at Tucson

www.exelixis-lab.org

lucas...@h-its.org

Mar 9, 2017, 7:28:19 PM3/9/17
to raxml, Lucas...@h-its.org
Hi Andy,

if I understand correctly, you are using EPA to place homologue sequences in order to identify clades of the original tree. Then, you want to use the resulting tree and put the BS values back onto its branches.

The issue that I see there is that those trees (the one with BS values and the one with additional branches) now have a different topology. Of course, there are just a few more branches, but figuring out which branches of the trees correspond to each other seems not trivial to do automatically.

Thus, it is probably easier to approach this from another angle. The EPA should also produce a `jplace` file, which contains the original tree plus placement information about each new sequence. That means, the tree there is topologically identical to the original tree, so transferring BS values is straight forward. Then, the placements need to be turned into actual branches, so that you get the "labelled" tree again.

Now for the "how". All of this requires some messing around with tree-internal data, so I don't think any library or toolkit for working with phylogenies contains an out-of-the-box solution for this. Alexis mentioned my library Genesis (http://genesis-lib.org/). Most of the needed steps are indeed possible with this, but by now I still have not worked on functions for adding branches to a tree. I wanted to do this anyway at some point, so maybe now I can use your use case as a reason to implement this. Not sure however when I get to do this.

Also, could you maybe send my your BS tree and jplace file?

So long
Lucas

Andy Funk

Mar 13, 2017, 2:13:38 PM3/13/17
to raxml, Lucas...@h-its.org
Lucas,

Thanks for the reply. It's funny that the task sounds simple in your description but is clearly more challenging that it seems. I have sent you the tree, jplace, and info file in a separate email. If you work out a solution then I will be glad to use it in the future.

One other question, since I only have ~200 subject sequences and six outgroup sequences I could theoretically graft the outgroups into the appropriate positions (based on EPA) using graphics software like photoshop. If I make it clear that I added these sequences manually to the tree, and they weren't used in the initial tree or bs calculations, is there anything wrong with this approach? Just as a solution to get this one figure finalized for a paper. At the end of the day my goal is to make interpretation and connection with previous data easier for readers. Still, photoshopping figures has some stigma in my mind so I thought I'd get your philosophical opinions while I have your attention.

Thanks again.

Alexandros Stamatakis

Mar 13, 2017, 3:40:39 PM3/13/17
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andy,

> One other question, since I only have ~200 subject sequences and six
> outgroup sequences I could theoretically graft the outgroups into the
> appropriate positions (based on EPA) using graphics software like
> photoshop. If I make it clear that I added these sequences manually to
> the tree, and they weren't used in the initial tree or bs calculations,
> is there anything wrong with this approach?

No, it's actually something I recommend for avoiding the outgroups
distorting the inference on the ingroup, which can indeed sometimes happen.

> Just as a solution to get
> this one figure finalized for a paper. At the end of the day my goal is
> to make interpretation and connection with previous data easier for
> readers. Still, photoshopping figures has some stigma in my mind so I
> thought I'd get your philosophical opinions while I have your attention.

That's okay, in an ideal world you would display the likelihoow weights
for the different placement positions of each outgroup on the tree to
highlight the uncertainty of the outgroup placement as well.

In terms of tree visualization, tree viz software can also show
incorrect values: http://www.biorxiv.org/content/early/2017/01/13/035360

So our philosophical insight is that "wathever can go wrong will go
wrong" weather it's humans writing computer programs or humans that are
photoshopping.

Alexis

lucas...@h-its.org

Mar 15, 2017, 5:54:22 AM3/15/17
to raxml

Hi Andy,

thanks, got the files! It looks like the tree with bs values was already edited with FigTree. This makes it more difficult, as now there is additional information (e.g., coloured branches) in there. Do you need to keep that information, or can we remove it for this step and you add it later again? If so, could you also send me the original, unedited file?

Also, as far as I can see, you ladderized the tree (option "Order Nodes: increasing") in FigTree. Are you also planning on rerooting it for the final figure? If so, the paper that Alexis linked to could be of importance!

Lucas

Andy Funk

Mar 15, 2017, 9:50:30 AM3/15/17
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Oh, I'm sorry! I haven't done much phylogeny work before and didn't think about the other tree parameters like color. I'll get you the raw tree output as soon as possible. That coloring and reordering was just for my own first look, I don't know what kind of visual edits (if any) I will do for the final tree. I'll read the paper you mentioned. Thanks for the help.

Andy Funk

Mar 16, 2017, 12:00:56 AM3/16/17
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lucas, please see the original tree file attached. Thanks.
RAxML_bipartitions.t1.original

lucas...@h-its.org

Mar 16, 2017, 8:42:02 AM3/16/17
to raxml
Thanks, got it! I guess, during the weekend I'll have some time to work on this.

Andy Funk

Mar 16, 2017, 8:53:28 AM3/16/17
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Well, there's no time limit from me. As far as I'm concerned even just answering questions via the group is such a help that I'm nothing but appreciative. Cheers.

lucas...@h-its.org

Mar 19, 2017, 9:22:45 PM3/19/17
to raxml
Hi Andy,

all right, I just released a new version of my library Genesis: https://github.com/lczech/genesis/releases/tag/v0.13
This version now has a demo program to do what you need, see http://doc.genesis-lib.org/demos_labelled_tree.html
In order to set up Genesis, see http://doc.genesis-lib.org/setup.html and particularly the section "Apps".

Currently, it only supports to transfer bootstrap values that are stored as inner node labels, i.e., of the form `(...)100`. This is the format that the tree file as that you send before. If there is need tor work with other forms of tree annotation, I can extend this.

I tested the new functions with a couple of small example trees. Also, when running it with your data, it seems to work, at least by eyeball inspection. But better check yourself.

If there are any issues with Genesis or the program, or if you have further questions or requirements, let me know. Also, please report whether this worked ;-)

So long
Lucas

Andy Funk

Mar 21, 2017, 11:38:18 AM3/21/17
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Lucas,

Thanks a bunch!

Right now I'm working on trying to understand my domain sequences. Some are fragmented, and I'm wondering if I can concatenate nearby fragments that look like they were part of the same domain but were split by genomic activities (insertions, transposable elements). I'm making various alignments and groupings to see if I can test these ideas. Long story short I don't have a "final" tree to work on right now. As soon as I settle on what the genome-wide domain tree will include, I'll use your new software to add the outgroups and let you know how it goes.

Either way, your efforts will be used in the next figure. Thanks again.

Andy

Lucas Czech

Mar 21, 2017, 11:43:01 AM3/21/17
to ra...@googlegroups.com

Nice! Looking forward to hearing about your new results and feedback about the software!

Lucas

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "raxml" group.

Andy Funk

May 19, 2017, 5:58:57 PM5/19/17
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Lucas,

Sorry it is taking me so long to get back to this. I'm self-taught at all my bioinformatics and I've been struggling with using Genesis. I tried installing Genesis on a lab computer but got stuck updating our C++ compiler, need to do a major overhaul of the system OS and it's just not a good time for it now. I'm working with the computing cluster at my university, and genesis is installed there, but now I have to learn how to operate C++ apps when I don't have read/write privileges in the source software directory. I think I will be able to get the labelled_tree app working once I have all the software bugs worked out, but for someone who is just getting decent with python, this Genesis install and C++ program has been a big leap. My apologies. I'm still working on it!

Thanks,

Andy

Lucas Czech

May 23, 2017, 8:19:51 AM5/23/17
to ra...@googlegroups.com

Hi Andy,

for just the purpose of creating the labelled tree, your approach using the cluster seems a bit too complicated. It is just a small program, which should easily run on a laptop. That is, unless your data set gets really big - which yours doesn't seem to be, as far as I remember.

So, I'd suggest to just compile Genesis on a machine with a Linux system, or even inside of a virtual machine. Then, you should have all privileges to run stuff and change files. Also, you generally shouldn't need any special privileges anyway.

Here is the full workflow:

Also, if you have any particular trouble (you spoke of "software bugs"?), you can post them here, so that I can troubleshoot.

Lucas

Patrick McGrath

Oct 5, 2017, 2:22:40 PM10/5/17
to raxml
Hi Lucas,

If i want to use Genesis for something i publish, is there a citation i can use to give you credit? An acknowledgement?

Lucas Czech

Oct 6, 2017, 8:18:13 AM10/6/17
to ra...@googlegroups.com

Hi Patrick,

that sounds like you successfully used Genesis for your work, glad to hear ;-)

Currently, there is no publication to cite. For now, you can cite the GitHub repository:

Lucas Czech and Alexandros Stamatakis
Genesis - A toolkit for working with phylogenetic data.
https://github.com/lczech/genesis and http://genesis-lib.org

However, I already started working on a manuscript that will briefly introduce Genesis, and hopefully publish a preprint within the next few weeks (or months?). If that's done, that will be the preferred reference to cite.

Lucas

ezra kitson

Apr 23, 2018, 4:47:34 PM4/23/18
to raxml

Hi Lucas,

I just wanted to let you know I was able to use the labelled_tree app to preserve bootstrap values on a tree generated via EPA. Thank you!

Unfortunately, I also need a bootstrapped tree where the number of phylogenetic placements is denoted by branch thickness, and query sequences do not form individual leaf nodes. Essentially I want to maintain the .jplace tree format but include bootstrap values from the reference tree. As I understand it this is not possible with genesis, so as Alexis suggests, I will show two trees, one with the bootstrapped values and the other with placement information.

Ezra

Lucas Czech

Apr 24, 2018, 10:26:38 AM4/24/18
to ra...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ezra,

good to hear that the program is useful! We are currently working on our new tool gappa, which is a command line interface for useful functions of genesis. It will soon replace the genesis demos, and offers a simpler interface to them. The labelled tree app is already implemented in gappa, but does not yet support external trees (with bootstrap etc) - I will add this bit soon. In gappa, the command is called "graft", you find it here: https://github.com/lczech/gappa/wiki/Subcommand:-graft

As for your second point: If I understand you correctly, you want to show a tree with branch thickness indicating the placement distribution, and show bootstrap values at the same time. That is, not do a "labelled tree"/"graft tree" with placements as single branches, but summarized per branch, right? Well, there are a few technical issues that need to be solved for this, but genesis is not one of those issues here. In genesis, you can basically annotate trees with whatever data you want, thickness, colour, support values - you name it.

The problems I see are somewhere else:

Firstly, if you want to store this information (placements, as well as BS values), you cannot use any existing format. Newick and other tree formats do not support placements, and the jplace standard for placements does not support extra tree data. You could however use genesis (or some other library that supports this) to read in the jplace file and the tree with BS values on it, use the placements to calculate branch thickness, then make a tree with thickness and BS values per branch, and store this in some format like phyloxml.

Secondly, you then need a viewer which can visualize all this - I guess, Archaeopteryx is a good candidate. Alternatively, if you want branch colour instead of thickness, you can probably also use Figtree. Genesis also has a visualization component, but it produces output in Svg, which again has its issues - namely that the taxon labels at the tree tips might move depending on your viewer (a nasty problem with Svg...).

If you have a bit of time, I have planned to add jplace visualization with thickness to gappa, and also make it possible to read an external tree (with extra BS values for example), which will be used instead of the jplace-internal tree (as long as they have the same topology). Don't know however when I get to implement this. The problem here is that Newick is not meant for annotation trees with more than labels and branch length. So, when reading in a newick file with BS values, and outputting a phyloxml file with branch thickness (or colour), how does one specify what the extra newick annotations are called in the phyloxml output?! It's easy to do in genesis on a case-by-case basis, but hard to generalize. If I find a solution for this that can be specified via command line, I'll add it to gappa.

So, in short, your issue seems to me more one of file formats than of software. Which means, this can all be implemented, but as there are no formats to store the result in, it would be an ad-hoc solution...

Let me know your thoughts on this, and maybe we can see if there are other ways to solve this!

So long
Lucas

ezra kitson

Apr 24, 2018, 5:22:29 PM4/24/18
to raxml

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your response. Gappa looks great, I will try it out in the next few months.

Exactly, I want my tree to have placements summarised per branch. After looking at text files of the tree formats, I figured the issue was that jplace cannot support extra tree information. I could write an app with the genesis library using the workflow you suggest, outputting a phyoxml file containing all the required information.

I am using iTOL to visualise the tree and it can read phyoxml. Additionally, iTOL supports phylogenetic placement data in the jplace format which can be represented by branch symbol, colour or width. It also supports bootstrap values and user-custom datasets. One alternative solution might be using a text editor to extract bootstrap values from the reference tree and writing this to .csv file which has the node/branch identifier and the corresponding BS value. This information could be used to then add branch symbols to the jplace tree as a custom dataset.  https://itol.embl.de/help/dataset_symbols_template.txt

Or, I could do the opposite. Use JPlaceReader to extract the placement information and write this to a .csv file which I can use as a dataset on the bootstrapped reference tree.

More convoluted than writing the genesis app, but maybe quicker for someone not fluent in C.

I am intrigued by your solution to the newick to phyoxml problem. If you solve it, let me know how! The gappa function will be useful for any future trees.

Ezra

Lucas Czech

Apr 24, 2018, 6:03:59 PM4/24/18
to ra...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ezra,

your approaches all seem reasonable. I like the idea of turning either of the additional pieces of information (BS values or placements per branch) into an itol dataset. That seems like it is doable with not too much effort. You might be a bit limited by what itol can do with the datasets though - I don't know what kind of tree customizations they can be used for. Maybe ETE might be an option, too. It's in python, and can also do all kinds of annotations.

I think, more users might be interested in your solution. If you want, keep us updated here ;-)
Also of course, if you need any more input, let me know.

Cheers
Lucas

ezra kitson

Apr 24, 2018, 10:21:24 PM4/24/18
to raxml

Lucas,

I had a go today with partial success. I’ve been having issues with the dataset feature in iTOL, when trying to annotate a jplace tree by a .csv file it won’t recognise the nodeIDs provided as valid, despite them being visible on the iTOL tree and present in the jplace file. It is possible however to use the interactive dataset feature, create a dataset called ‘bootstraps’ and manually enter the nodeIDs and corresponding bootstrap values, either depicted as labels or branch symbols.

The nodeIDs , BS values and  if desired, symbol, can be copied and pasted into iTOL from the output files of the shell script below  to make this process quicker. However, it is still somewhat laborious: iTOL will not accept the nodeIDs until they have been clicked on and matched to its drop-down menu.

I have contacted the iTOL creator and reported my difficulties. Hopefully the problems can be amended. If so, I’ll finish the shell script, so that the output can be directly uploaded on iTOL to annotate a jplace tree with bootstrap values.

Best,

Ezra

#!/usr/bin/bash

 #extracts BS values from a reference tree, corresponding node IDs from a jplace tree, and writes ‘Square’ for however many BS values there are.

 grep -o -E ').{3}' RAxML_bipartitions.tree.out  | sed 's/)//' | sed 's/://' > BS.txt

 grep -o -E '.{4}).{0}' RaxML_portableTree.tree.jplace | sed 's/^.*{//' | sed 's/})//' > nodeID.txt

 a=$(cat BS | wc -l)

 yes "Square" | head -$a >Symbol.txt

Lucas Czech

Apr 25, 2018, 8:47:17 AM4/25/18
to ra...@googlegroups.com

Hez Ezra,

that looks like a good approach. You should however make sure that the tree in the RAxML bipartitions file and the one in the jplace file are exactly identical, that is, the order of parenthesis in the Newick string, the taxon names, etc. Otherwise, the order of the two lists will not fit. I guess however that you already thought about that ;-)

As for iTOL, yes, contacting the developers is probably a good idea. They are quite responsive usually.

Which OS do you use? If I try your script, my grep behaves a bit differently, so that I need to escape the parenthesis like this '\).{3}'

Lucas

ezra kitson

Apr 25, 2018, 1:59:04 PM4/25/18
to raxml
Hi Lucas,

Good news! The iTOL issue has been fixed, and iTOL now supports internal nodeIDs for jplace trees. I've finished the script to generate bootstrap datasets for iTOL and uploaded it here: https://gist.github.com/Kzra/d9231bdd4e9d2791afa9eaaaa416f7d4 (I'm using git bash for windows.)

 All seems to work well, but i've noticed that the bootstrap labelling from my method is different to the bootstrap labelling iTOL performs on the reference tree. The bootstrap labels from the dataset sit one node above the bootstrap labels generated automatically by iTOL  on the ref tree file. One quick solution would be to add 1 to all the nodeIDs in the bootstrap dataset file. I'm a bit puzzled as to why this is occurring in the first place, and what the correct solution is. Do you have any ideas?

Ezra

Lucas Czech

Apr 25, 2018, 2:09:24 PM4/25/18
to ra...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ezra,

wow, this is quite some quick progress!

Well, I would advise against just adding 1 to node IDs - unless you are absolutely certain that this will not destroy their order. As such indices are often done via a post-order traversal of the tree (for example, this is the way the edge nums {123} in jplace are made), just adding 1 to them will not work (if I understand your idea correctly). A better way would be to do something more involved than just creating lists of values via grep. For example, read the files with proper tools that understand the format, and make sure that you match edges of the BS tree and the jplace tree correctly to each other.

As to why this is occurring: it sounds very much like the issue that we describe in our paper about such issues with the Newick format: https://academic.oup.com/mbe/article/34/6/1535/3077051

So long
Lucas

ezra kitson

Apr 25, 2018, 6:33:32 PM4/25/18
to raxml

Hi Lucas,

Good advice, I understand your concerns. In this case adding 1 does fix the issue and makes the bootstrap labels consistent with those produced by iTOL on the reference tree (at least this was the case with the three trees that I checked). I have revised my code to include this feature.

https://gist.github.com/Kzra/d9231bdd4e9d2791afa9eaaaa416f7d4

It raises the question which is the true representation of the bootstrap values, the one that iTOL generates or the one in my initial dataset? In the above script, users can specify to use the initial nodeIDs by replacing nodeID2 with nodeID in the paste command.

Anyway, good to see a problem solved. Using this script will save me a lot of time over the next few weeks.

To anyone who uses it, I’d be interested to know whether your BS dataset labels also correspond with iTOL’ s labelling of the reference tree.

Thanks for all the help,

Ezra

Lucas Czech

Apr 26, 2018, 10:19:14 AM4/26/18
to ra...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ezra,

hm, then maybe one of the two indices starts counting at 0, and the other at 1? If both stick to traversing the tree in post-order, and both trees are identically rooted and sorted (i.e., same order of subtrees for all inner nodes), then your method should work.

What do you mean by "true representation of the bootstrap values"? BS values are properties of branches, not nodes (which is also explained in more detail in the paper that I liked before: https://academic.oup.com/mbe/article/34/6/1535/3077051). Thus, the "convention" of writing them next to nodes is only a workaround due to limitations of the Newick format and of tree viewers. Maybe you should also check with another tree viewer to make sure the values are where they should be. You can try Dendroscope - its recent versions handle BS values pretty well and explicitly ask whether those are values meant for branches or nodes.

Lucas

ezra kitson

Apr 26, 2018, 11:34:39 AM4/26/18
to ra...@googlegroups.com

Hi Lucas,

Good idea, I think that could be the case.

I understand bootstrap values aren’t node properties. With iTOL bootstrap values are written next to branches, when I said the BS values were shown ‘a node higher’ I just meant the labels were written next to the branch relative to one node above.  So by ‘true representation’ I meant which branch should the BS value be shown against. This sounds like an indexing issue. By indexing nodes from 0 or 1 BS labels are shown against different branches. Seeing the consensus among a few tree viewers would be a good way of telling.

Ezra