RAxML-HPC BlackBox ERROR

ERIKA JULIANA OBANDO MONTOYA

Feb 27, 2018, 12:08:36 PM2/27/18
to raxml
Hello everyone

I am using RAxMl via Cipres for a phylogeny project. My database have 212 protein sequences. But I havent obtained any tree in the results files. I was looking for in the stdout.txt  and I found an error message saying:

This is RAxML MPI Process Number: 5
ERROR: Sequences out of alignment
40 (instead of 52) residues read in sequence 2 ----------
Printing error context:

-------- --------MD
             AEPKRKF

In other hand, I found this message in the phylip sfu page

In PHYLIP, enter 'I' (to change to sequential), change any other options, and then 'y' to begin the analysis.
With luck, the taxon names will scroll across the screen (with user trees you will see no progress until the program is done computing).
Otherwise, you may get a message: sequences out of alignment, or base ratios wrong. Maximum likelihood, which is computationally intensive and
one of the slowest programs on earth, is much faster with user trees but again the progress of the run is not indicated.

Nevertheless I don't understand what that mean.
Someone can explain me what are happened and how I can stop the problem?

but the way, the sequences titles are some like this:

BV
1503
3922
Cw112
Cw77
Ge0
Ge3
Gloe
Gv5

Thanks,

Alexandros Stamatakis

Feb 28, 2018, 4:22:52 AM2/28/18
to ra...@googlegroups.com
RAxML uses a relaxed PHYLIP format that is specified here:

https://sco.h-its.org/exelixis/resource/download/NewManual.pdf

Apart from that you can send me your alignment to my personal email such
that I can have a look what might be wrong.

Alexis
> --

Alexandros (Alexis) Stamatakis

Research Group Leader, Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies
Full Professor, Dept. of Informatics, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology

www.exelixis-lab.org

Mark Miller

Feb 28, 2018, 10:42:09 AM2/28/18
to raxml
For CIPRES runs, you should of course try the docs Alexis suggested, but if you cant figure it out you can also send a bug report to cipres. If you have run the job in the past two weeks, and include the file _JOBINFO.TXT we should be able to help.

Best,
Mark

ERIKA JULIANA OBANDO MONTOYA

Mar 1, 2018, 4:42:12 AM3/1/18
to raxml
Thank you Professor Alexis

Could you give me your email address?

ERIKA JULIANA OBANDO MONTOYA

Mar 1, 2018, 4:53:53 AM3/1/18
to raxml
Thank you Mark

Yes, I tried run the project this week and I have the JOBINFO.TXT file. Nevertheless I worked in a not login way.

the Guest user was: Guest-1519745095735
date 2/27/18, 08:31

If not this is the information inside JOBINFO.TXT file

Task\ label=VV
Task\ ID=1420112
Tool=RAXMLHPC2BB
created\ on=2018-02-27 08:31:56.0
JobHandle=NGBW-JOB-RAXMLHPC2BB-D146DA163C044B44B091E52EEC100DC2
resource=comet
User\ ID=109979
User\ Name=Guest-1519745095735
email=1519745095735

Output=(raxml_outputfiles,RAXML_*,UNKNOWN,UNKNOWN,UNKNOWN),(all_outputfiles,*,UNKNOWN,UNKNOWN,UNKNOWN)
ChargeFactor=1.000000
cores=24
JOBID=14526601

Thanks in advance

Alexis

Mar 4, 2018, 10:12:37 AM3/4/18
to raxml
I had a look at your alignment file, and also tried executing it with RAxML, I was able to start an analysis of file:

FDBRs.phy without any problems, so I don't know where the problem could be, maybe you didn't specify that it is a protein alignment?

Alexis

ERIKA JULIANA OBANDO MONTOYA

Mar 4, 2018, 10:32:24 AM3/4/18
to raxml
Thanks for you quickly response
not, it was not that. I specified that was a protein alignment.
thank you any way.

Alexandros Stamatakis

Mar 4, 2018, 11:26:58 AM3/4/18
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Then there's mot much more I can do from my side as I am not responsible
for maintining the CIPRES server,

Alexis

ERIKA JULIANA OBANDO MONTOYA

Mar 5, 2018, 9:26:52 PM3/5/18
to raxml
Hello

I would like ask help again. I couldnot result my problem so I decided make the aligment using nucleotid database but I have the same problem. I did not obtain the tree and the error mesages is the same.

Problem reading alignment file
ERROR: Sequences out of alignment
40 (instead of 52) residues read in sequence 2 ----------
Printing error context:

-----atg gacgccgagc
             ccaagag

This time I use my personal count so I was enregistered. Ny username is anailujakire

Could you help me? I attached the aligment phy file too.
Thanks in advance

El miércoles, 28 de febrero de 2018, 10:42:09 (UTC-5), Mark Miller escribió:
NU.phy

Alexandros Stamatakis

Mar 6, 2018, 3:48:41 AM3/6/18
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Could you please have a look at the relaxed phylip format specification
in the RAxML manual (I sent you the link) first.

This should help you to understand why your file can't be parsed.

Alexis

msf....@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2018, 11:11:08 AM4/10/18
to raxml
Hello,

I am having a similar problem...

ERROR: Sequences out of alignment
23 (instead of 100) residues read in sequence 9 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printing error context:

-------------------
Nomascus

Problem reading alignment file

My .phy file (converted in PAUP) seems to be organized correctly? I also noticed in your manual that RAxML says that there needs to be a space between the taxon ID and sequence, which my file has...otherwise white space does not make a difference?

Do you have any suggestions on how to format my alignment file?
Thank you!

Alexandros Stamatakis

Apr 10, 2018, 1:58:13 PM4/10/18
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Can you send me the alignment file to my personal email, such that I can
have a look?

Alexis
> > an email to raxml+un...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
> > <mailto:raxml+un...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>
> --
> Alexandros (Alexis) Stamatakis
>
> Research Group Leader, Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies
> Full Professor, Dept. of Informatics, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
>
> www.exelixis-lab.org <http://www.exelixis-lab.org>

raxml

Apr 11, 2018, 1:33:36 AM4/11/18
to raxml
Hi Margot,

I looked at the files you sent me:

1. They are in FASTA format and not in PHYLIP
2. The command line version of RAxML can read them, but not the web-server
3. So you can either use the comman dline version of RAxML or upload phylip formatted files to the web-server.

Alexis

Margot P

Apr 11, 2018, 9:13:43 PM4/11/18
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alexis,

Thank you so much for looking at this. I had converted my .aln files to phylip, which was what I was using in the RAxML command on the command line, but I think there may have been a formatting issue. I adjusted the white space in the phylip format and I got it to run. Example:

SampleSequenceID
NucleotideSequence.......

Does RAxML prefer phylip files to be formatted a certain way? I thought I had read in the manual that it was flexible with spacing.

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

Alexandros Stamatakis

Apr 12, 2018, 1:19:03 AM4/12/18
to ra...@googlegroups.com
> Thank you so much for looking at this. I had converted my .aln files to
> phylip, which was what I was using in the RAxML command on the command
> line, but I think there may have been a formatting issue. I adjusted the
> white space in the phylip format and I got it to run. Example:
>
> SampleSequenceID
> NucleotideSequence.......

Interesting.

> Does RAxML prefer phylip files to be formatted a certain way? I thought
> I had read in the manual that it was flexible with spacing.

Yes, it should be, if you could send me the Phylip files that didn't
work I can investigate further.

> Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

:-)

Alexis